• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Marvel Team-Up #1 a key?
4 4

151 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

I was thinking of this pic when I saw this tread. lol thx

First time seeing this picture.  History behind it? Paul

29 minutes ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

I was thinking of this pic when I saw this tread. lol thx

O.o wow!

17 hours ago, djpinkpanther67 said:

Yes.
Anything above 8.0 is a three figure book. 9.8 is a five figure book

This too.

I know that value/price doesn't make a book key, but it's often a good signifier.

Put aside that this the second monthly Spider-Man book, or that it was one less than 10 titles introduced in the Bronze age to make it more than 100 issues - easily outlasting the likes of Ghost Rider, Tomb of Dracula, Hero for Hire/Power Man & Iron Fist.

It's got merely 15 copies graded above CGC 9.4.

Only 3 copies in 9.8, with no new copies since 2011.

So the 500 copies of the book shown in that photo is a bit misleading, as the vast majority are likely 7.0-8.5 copies.

Proof? 

In the 5.5 years since that photo was published, the census for this book above 9.2 has gone from 70 max copies to 92 max copies. That's a maximum of net new 22 copies in 9.4+

Since that photo was published in 2014, no new 9.8s have emerged.

In 9.6, the census has gone from 8 to 12.

9.4’s have gone from 59 to 77.

The book sells for $130 in CGC 8.0; $200 in 9.0; and $850+ in 9.4 - if a copy can even be found.

Edited by Gatsby77

Thanks for the replies.  You all made some good points. One question I have regarding the $850+ price for a 9.4- where are you getting this price?  According to GPA no copies the last three years have sold for more than $800.  Of course we are only talking about a handful of sales.

1 hour ago, raybowles said:

Thanks for the replies.  You all made some good points. One question I have regarding the $850+ price for a 9.4- where are you getting this price?  According to GPA no copies the last three years have sold for more than $800.  Of course we are only talking about a handful of sales.

A CGC 9.4 copy sold for $863 in the Winter 2020 Comiclink auction. I want to say it was the February auction?

Link: https://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dmarvel%2Bteam-up%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1387331

There’s another (old label) copy currently for sale at Comiclink with a $1,300 ask. While that’s (clearly) ambitious, it shows the seller denied an offer of $650 for it. Duh.

https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DMarvel%2BTeam-up%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=975309

Regardless of whether one think's Marvel Team-Up # 1 qualifies as a "key," current market for it in 9.2 and 9.4 is well above the last few GPA-recorded sales.

27 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

A CGC 9.4 copy sold for $863 in the Winter 2020 Comiclink auction. I want to say it was the February auction?

Link: https://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dmarvel%2Bteam-up%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1387331

There’s another (old label) copy currently for sale at Comiclink with a $1,300 ask. While that’s (clearly) ambitious, it shows the seller denied an offer of $650 for it. Duh.

https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DMarvel%2BTeam-up%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=975309

Regardless of whether one think's Marvel Team-Up # 1 qualifies as a "key," current market for it in 9.2 and 9.4 is well above the last few GPA-recorded sales.

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

If people desire a book, it can become a key book. Some keys are born every year. Some keys are keys for a bit and then lose that status. As this is a first issue of a long running series that was generally enjoyed by most during its run (and is the second Spidey title ever), I would say it classifies. There is always someone looking for one and they always sell. They can be hard to find in high grade what with that black cover. And to my knowledge, it has been a desirable book for a long time. For me, part of making a book a key is whether its value and desirability grows over time. I think that applies here. 

In response to the OP, apparently the following is true:

-MTU 141 is a big key (symbiote)

-MTU 95 is an important key (mockingbird)

-MTU 65 is a solid key (captain britain)

-MTU 55 is a mediocre key (soul gems)

-MTU 1 is not a key

I personally have been looking for a well centered copy with white pages in 9.0 or above for a reasonable price for 20 years or so of MTU 1.  But there's nothing that makes it special, just my nostalgia from my childhood collecting Marvel Team-up.  2c

43 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Without 1, the rest are never born :)

It's like saying Tales to Astonish 1 is a key.  Or perhaps a better example, Marvel Spotlight 1 is a key.  Not sure that makes sense to me, but I get what you're saying.

Just now, Randall Dowling said:

It's like saying Tales to Astonish 1 is a key.  Or perhaps a better example, Marvel Spotlight 1 is a key.  Not sure that makes sense to me, but I get what you're saying.

Haha no I know. Those are no heavily hunted although pretty sure sure TTA #1 is a darn expensive book. Again, not sought after as much though by the masses. I would argue differently for MTU #1 though. I feel like it is an affordable book that always sells. I listed a copy couple years ago and within minutes, someone bought it for $15. It was 2.0-2.5. It doesn't have a first appearance or anything special other than being the first issue of a second Spidey title but that alone seems to warrant enough love and has for quite some time...more love than almost any other issue of the run. 

20 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

It's like saying Tales to Astonish 1 is a key. 

In its own way, Astonish #1 is a big key. It, along with Tales of Suspense #1 and Strange Worlds #1 (all released simultaneously) were the first "pre-hero" Marvels. Previous post-implosion comics were filled with pre-existing Atlas material.

Edited by KirbyJack

A very nostalgic Christmas story, and one of my favourites. Fairly ordinary slugfest issue apart from that.

On 5/7/2020 at 7:53 PM, Randall Dowling said:

In response to the OP, apparently the following is true:

-MTU 141 is a big key (symbiote)

-MTU 95 is an important key (mockingbird)

-MTU 65 is a solid key (captain britain)

-MTU 55 is a mediocre key (soul gems)

-MTU 1 is not a key

I personally have been looking for a well centered copy with white pages in 9.0 or above for a reasonable price for 20 years or so of MTU 1.  But there's nothing that makes it special, just my nostalgia from my childhood collecting Marvel Team-up.  2c

Is that the Murderworld issue? As a kid I loved Arcade in his X-Men appearances!