• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Marvel Team-Up #1 a key?
4 4

151 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2020 at 4:39 PM, raybowles said:

Thanks for the replies.  You all made some good points. One question I have regarding the $850+ price for a 9.4- where are you getting this price?  According to GPA no copies the last three years have sold for more than $800.  Of course we are only talking about a handful of sales.

CLink Auctions,I have bid on 2-9.4's this past 6 months or so. One sold for 810 and another sold for 863 (it's sill listed on Clink Exchange now as a pending sale). I bought my 9.4 maybe 2/3 months ago for 750 and thought that was a good deal. The one I mentioned to you before on HGC for 825 is a reasonable price I think if you like the wrap.

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 5/7/2020 at 6:39 PM, raybowles said:

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

What's impressive about that $863 auction sale is that - after taxes and (nominal) shipping, it means that at least two people were willing to spend ~$900 for a good-looking 9.4.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

What's impressive about that $863 auction sale is that - after taxes and (nominal) shipping, it means that at least two people were willing to spend ~$900 for a good-looking 9.4.

Question. How do keys usually do on comiclink? Is this a place to find good deals or do the keys usually sell above FMV/GPA.

Personally I have never purchased anything from this site. The main reason is they don't show a picture of the back cover. I have emailed them in the past to send me back cover photos but it's hit and miss. Sometimes I get them and sometimes I don't. 

1 hour ago, raybowles said:

Question. How do keys usually do on comiclink? Is this a place to find good deals or do the keys usually sell above FMV/GPA.

Personally I have never purchased anything from this site. The main reason is they don't show a picture of the back cover. I have emailed them in the past to send me back cover photos but it's hit and miss. Sometimes I get them and sometimes I don't. 

Honestly - it depends.

I'd say most of the time books sell for below GPA, and so are cheaper to buy than equivalent copies on Heritage or eBay.

This makes sense - because Comiclink doesn't report to GPA, dealers and flippers aren't going to buy at much over GPA prices, since those strong prices are invisible to the GPA averages. This means you can often invest via price arbitrage by say...buying in a Jan. Clink auction (when prices are typically down as holiday credit card bills come due) and re-selling via eBay during the summer a year and a half later (meaning you can take advantage of capital gains for tax purposes).

But in a strong market - or for undervalued books, Clink regularly shatters GPA records.

I've both bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of books on Comiclink. Prices were good on both ends -- when selling, I chose them over Heritage because the larger commission at the latter would have reduced my take.

I dropped 86 slabs off at a large comic con in Philly - and they parceled the books out over their next three auctions. The experience couldn't have been easier.

Edited by Gatsby77

On 5/15/2020 at 4:12 PM, World Devourer said:

Ah, Marvel Team-Up. Like Marvel Two-In-One, it was a grand experiment that while focusing mainly on one-shot stories, did occasionally ground itself in Marvel continuity and act as a firm reference point.

#1 was a nice start (by the by, I had the only 9.6 W to appear in years, and sold it 2 years later in 2015 for a tidy profit - still the best price to date. I waited and waited for that Golden State 9.8 to appear, but it hasn't happened), and #2 was interesting in that the Wizard realizes his error and it became a race to stop Annihilus emerging from the Negative Zone.

#9-11 are an excellent example of how it is a shared universe and characters can join a story at any time: in the Kang War, Spider-Man allies with Iron Man, then the Human Torch and then by association the Inhumans. Several heroes fighting the same villain across several issues was a popular plot device.

#16 is notable as it is the only Captain Marvel appearance in the title, and has an engaging story with Jim Starlin art (far superior to the flat #15 with the Ghost Rider).

#19-20 did the same as Ka-Zar and the Black Panther aid Spider-Man against Stegron.

#33 - 34 repeated this trick, with Defenders Nighthawk and then Valkyrie aiding Spider-Man against Meteor Man.

#39 - 40 - once again, with the Human Torch and Sons of the Tiger as guest stars.

#41-44  -  even more elaborate as Spider-Man was embroiled in a mystical story line that featured the Scarlet Witch, the Vision, Doctor Doom and finally Moondragon. ALL the characters are featured throughout. 

NOTE! 

This is where it gets very interesting. 

#53-54 featured the Hulk as the guest star, and the character was given billing on both covers. This only happened once more during the entire run (with Captain Britain - see below).

Now...#55...the Hulk features briefly on the first page, before Spider-Man goes into space to meet Adam Warlock.  This is the LAST story for Adam Warlock before the fateful events of Avengers Annual #7, which occurs soon afterwards. It is also important to note that the Hulk should have gone with Spider-Man, as this would then conclude the story line from Incredible Hulk #176-178.

More two issue stories with guest stars aplenty #59-60 (Yellowjacket and Wasp); #61-62 (Human Torch and Ms. Marvel) ; #63-64 (Iron Fist and Daughters of the Dragon) and #65-66 (Captain Britain. The last page has an appalling finish for the good Captain, as he is partially seen sitting silently in a car while Spider-Man converses with another character).

We then come to the very unappreciated #69-70, in which Spider-Man teams with Havok and then Thor to attempt to stop the Living Pharaoh (who becomes the Living Monolith in the second part of the story). 

Why unappreciated? Because the writing and art were completed by the X-Men team of Claremont, Byrne and Cockrum. Further to this, the story is steeped in continuity:

* In X-Men #109 Moira MacTaggert tells Scott Summers (Cyclops) that brother Alex and Lorna Dane are taking a sabbatical after their mind control by villain Eric the Red (which occurred in X-Men #97-98; 105). At the start of this story line, the pair are doing just that.

* After Alex is kidnapped, Lorna unsuccessfully tries to contact the X-Men. She then calls Avengers Mansion and reaches the Beast, who is stationed there with Thor. This ties directly into Avengers #172, as the pair were directed by Iron Man to be on standby while the remainder of the team travel to New York Harbour to stop an attack by Tyrak (Iron Man himself is busy investigating the disappearance of several Avengers, revealed to be the work of the Collector in #173, and ultimately leading to the final battle between the combined Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy in Avengers #177). The Beast leaves for the X-Men's mansion (staying with them from X-Men #111 - 114, and finally returning to the Avengers in #178), while Thor responds to a call concerning a "stone giant" (The Living Monolith) on a rampage. Interestingly, both the Beast and Thor were initially tied to the same story (and on the defeat of the Monolith, Thor returns Havok to Lorna on Muir Island).

* While Thor is fighting the Living Monolith, Spider-Man is reminded of how obsolete he felt in the recent battle with Thanos (Avengers Annual #7).

The title is then sub-par through to #100, with the only highlight being a Guardians appearance in #86.

Wow, and I was only going to write one paragraph. I guess I got carried away - happy memories. 

I would also add MTU 4 to your list of notable issues. An all-new story featuring the original X-Men team, whose own title had gone into reprint purgatory two years prior, plus a relatively early appearance of Morbius the Living Vampire! Not to mention the cool picture frame format with a tough black cover border. Here is a low grade copy that I had lying around.

img939.jpg

3 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

I would also add MTU 4 to your list of notable issues. An all-new story featuring the original X-Men team, whose own title had gone into reprint purgatory two years prior, plus a relatively early appearance of Morbius the Living Vampire! Not to mention the cool picture frame format with a tough black cover border. Here is a low grade copy that I had lying around.

img939.jpg

Quite right. Notable as a rare non-reprint appearance of the original X-Men.

It should be worth more.

The time traveling arc was one of my favorite story lines of that era. I have not read it since it originally came out and won't because much of this era doesn't stand up to my memory.

I remember really looking forward to the next issue.

Unless there was a guest star I loved, MTU was a must buy but middle of the reading pile type of book.

19 minutes ago, raybowles said:

Prediction time - Will this sell for more/less than $800?

Who cares?

Wait..... I do.  :wink:

As to your question, who knows?  It's got a lot going for it: nice straight cover registration, staples right on the spine, clean and free of blemishes, and the old label from back when grading tended to be strict.  More than a few people look at old label books like this one as candidates with upgrading potential.  But it's also a time when some people are suffering economically.  Having just sold 79 ultra high grade picture frame Marvels at auction in March and April, I can tell you that the majority of comics of this genre are going for around or a bit under expected value based on recent past GPA recorded sales.  But a handful of the books made all-time GPA record highs.  

My approach when selling a slew of comics is to not sweat each individual sale, but look at how the aggregate perform against my expectation.  And the Team-Up #1 is just one of 78 BA picture frame Marvels that were consigned.

And I think the copy you bought from Blazingbob is a really nice one for the assigned grade.

Edited by namisgr