• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Marvel Team-Up #1 a key?
4 4

151 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2020 at 6:34 PM, Werner_Von_Doom said:
On 5/1/2020 at 1:57 PM, steveinthecity said:

Anyone remember this?

cSvJPkM.jpg

I was thinking of this pic when I saw this tread. lol thx

On 5/1/2020 at 7:01 PM, picon3 said:

First time seeing this picture.  History behind it? Paul

Simply reminds me of the time when Death In The Family was coming out and the hottest thing to hit the shelves of the LCS's at the time.  :flipbait:

Remember walking into one of the local comic conventions at the time and all of the dealers had a whole wall full of these books up and yet had the nerve to claim to potential buyers that they were considered to be "rare".   :facepalm:  

15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Simply reminds me of the time when Death In The Family was coming out and the hottest thing to hit the shelves of the LCS's at the time.  :flipbait:

Remember walking into one of the local comic conventions at the time and all of the dealers had a whole wall full of these books up and yet had the nerve to claim to potential buyers that they were considered to be "rare".   :facepalm:  

definitely rare in super high grade, but like all marvels from this time onward, easy to find in lesser grades

3 hours ago, comic_memories said:

definitely rare in super high grade, but like all marvels from this time onward, easy to find in lesser grades

Apparently so, as I just checked this on the GoCollect website and they claim that the FMV for one if 9.8 graded condition is over $5K and copies in 9.6 graded condition are over $2K, with the 9.4 copies coming in at $750.  Not sure how good those FMV numbers are, but they sure seem to be up there in the land of  :screwy: a bit.  Then again, I don't really follow follow this part of the BA market or this particular title at all.  (shrug)

Looks like anything below a 9.4 copy that not be worth slabbing given all of the associated fees involved and hassle that it would take.  Since I am sure that I have a couple copies of this 1st issue still in polybags though from way back in the day, I really should look around for them although for the life of me, I would have absolutely no idea where they would be.  doh!  :censored:

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I posted the above a bit over two months ago.

Last night, I put my money where my mouth is and bought my first-ever copy of Marvel Team-Up # 1, the second CGC 9.4 copy in this week's Comiclink auction.

Not as pretty as Namisgr's copy that sold earlier this week (and with downright ugly centering and miswrap), but it has white pages.

I feel like 10 years from now, I'll be really glad I bought it.

MTU 1.jpg

You got a good price on it too.

Hello good people.  I am looking for that elusive Marvel team-up #1 in 9.4 - 9.6 - or 9.8.  If anyone has any leads, feel free to email me - peterluke07@gmail.com  and thanks in advance.  Google is not much help, lol.

Have a wonderful day!

Hello good people.  I am looking for that elusive Marvel team-up #1 in 9.4 - 9.6 - or 9.8.  If anyone has any leads, feel free to email me - peterluke07@gmail.com  and thanks in advance.  Google is not much help, lol.

Have a wonderful day!

Let me go one better, if it helps.  I will pay $ 8,000.00 US for a 9.8 Marvel Team-up 1.  Will someone shake one loose for me?  Thanks, lol.   

5 hours ago, Aardvarks said:

Have a wonderful day!

Let me go one better, if it helps.  I will pay $ 8,000.00 US for a 9.8 Marvel Team-up 1.  Will someone shake one loose for me?  Thanks, lol.   

I doubt someone will let a 9.8 go for 8k. I know of lots of people wanting one. At auction I bet one would go for at least 15-20k and maybe even higher with all the crazy prices nowadays...

Edited by Xenosmilus

12 hours ago, Aardvarks said:

Have a wonderful day!

Post your query in the "want to buy" forum located here >> https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/50-comics-market-want-to-buy/

On 5/1/2020 at 4:57 PM, steveinthecity said:

Anyone remember this?

cSvJPkM.jpg

In the 90s you could get nice copies for $10 and under and into the early years of ebay. If you simply chased ever $10 or less copy this is feasible. 

It is no less a key than Defenders 1 or Submariner 1. Which means, to some, it is not. It is a long since ended title, but how many different versions of MTU have been made? 5? That should mean something. And Misty Knight is cool. As for Torch, yes, he and they FF were popular then. Not quite enough to get his own title, but mix him in a few times a year.

8 hours ago, the blob said:

In the 90s you could get nice copies for $10 and under and into the early years of ebay. If you simply chased ever $10 or less copy this is feasible. 

We discussed this photo earlier in the thread. The book is only rare in truly high grade. The vast majority of the copies on this photo are likely 7.0-9.0, and the lack of an explosion in graded 9.2+ copies in the decade since it was taken bears this out.

As with another tough black cover - Marvel Premiere 1, there’s a world of difference between a 9.0 and a 9.4, let alone 9.6 / 9.8.

Put another way - that photo shows 500+ copies of the book.

Today it’s a $1,000 book in 9.4, yet the CGC Census shows just 100 copies total graded above CGC 9.2...

out of 1075+ submissions.

12 hours ago, the blob said:

It is no less a key than Defenders 1 or Submariner 1

Well, since I have a MTU 1 and possibly even a Defenders 1 in my personal collection, I am quite sure they are NOT keys.  :facepalm:

Since I don't believe I have a Subby 1 in my collection, than that one there must be the keyest of key books.  :censored:

4 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Put another way - that photo shows 500+ copies of the book.

Today it’s a $1,000 book in 9.4, yet the CGC Census shows just 100 copies total graded above CGC 9.2...

out of 1075+ submissions.

200,000+ copies were sold i  presume. Any one of us collecting in the 90s could have put together a similar pile and not been bankrupted. Maybe not so now.

45 minutes ago, the blob said:

200,000+ copies were sold i  presume. Any one of us collecting in the 90s could have put together a similar pile and not been bankrupted. Maybe not so now.

Sure - if you take into account those are likely 8.0 copies.

and I’m not sure why folks keep comparing today’s prices to those of the 90s, some 20+ (but more likely 25-30) years ago.

Hell - I remember conventions in the early 90s with piles (like, 30-40 copies) of FF 48 in clean 7.0-8.0 for $60 per. 

I also bought my 9.0 copy of ASM 129 in the late 90s in between Punisher series when the character was out-of-favor for only $90

Has exactly zero relevance to prices or availability today.