Is Marvel Team-Up #1 a key?
4 4

124 posts in this topic

815 posts
Posted (edited)

If this topic has been discussed before I apologize.  I'm trying to purchase a high grade example for my personal collection and noticed that it's hard to aquire in high grade because of the heavy black border.  As of April 30 there are only 15 copies graded above a 9.4

I'm curious on the boards opinion if this comic would be considered a key?  Recently I posted in the WTB forum for this issue and before I did I can't remember that last time I heard or read of anyone interested in it.

Edited by raybowles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,717 posts
4 minutes ago, raybowles said:

If this topic has been discussed before I apologize.  I'm trying to purchase a high grade example for my personal collection and noticed that it's hard to aquire in high grade because of the heavy black border.  As of April 30 there are only 15 copies graded above a 9.4

I'm curious on the boards opinion if this comic would be considered a key?  Recently I posted in the WTB forum for this issue and before I did I can't remember that last time I heard or read of anyone interested in it.

Well it IS a Picture Frame book, so it's probably been collected at some point. How long? Idk

 

But here is a pinned thread at the top of the bronze age forum

I haven't seen it that often, but hope that helps...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,781 posts

I would consider it a minor key, probably?  Most first issues of long running titles qualify to some degree or other.  But lacking a notable first appearance (other than possibly the Misty Knight cameo), it's not considered a major key that I can tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,522 posts

I always liked Marvel Team-up #1, as it is essentially Spider-man volume 3, #1 after ASM #1, Marvel Tales #1 reprint but not counting Spectacular Spider-man mag #1 since it was not comic book sized. Too bad some vendor posted a pic of over 300 raw copies of :wink: MTU #1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,930 posts

I think at best I'd consider it a bronze minor key (as was mentioned above).  I always wondered how the team-up stories might translate to the small screen, as a seasonal 5-8 episode series ... hm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
815 posts

I appreciate the comments folks. This is one of the few Marvel comics that I have never owned. In fact I can't remember ever seeing it for sale. I'm sure it was but I never noticed it. 

IMO it's not a key for the reasons some of you listed and probably will not go up much in value but for some reason I really want to obtain a high grade copy (9.4 or 9.6) for my personal collection. I love the cover. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,400 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

I think at best I'd consider it a bronze minor key (as was mentioned above).  I always wondered how the team-up stories might translate to the small screen, as a seasonal 5-8 episode series ... hm

I was thinking the same and that it might make a good Disney+ Series....

Edited by Xenosmilus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
815 posts
1 hour ago, scooter99 said:

IMO, minor key.  But being a black cover picture frame, it is tough to find truly high grade copies.  Find a copy with nice registration is difficult as well.  I bought my copy the first hour or two when Bob Storms posted this on his website quite a few years ago.  Absolutely love it. 

 

MTU1Mine.thumb.jpg.92839b0f7d3c4de3a05cbd44216e1f36.jpg

That's a beautiful copy.  Are you surprised it did not receive a 9.4?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,736 posts
1 minute ago, raybowles said:

That's a beautiful copy.  Are you surprised it did not receive a 9.4?

I didn't submit it myself.  Bought from Bob Storms.  It looked slightly undergraded, great centering and had white pages.  Trifecta fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,134 posts
11 hours ago, raybowles said:

but for some reason I really want to obtain a high grade copy (9.4 or 9.6) for my personal collection.

 

This right here is all the reason you need to go find your copy. Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,699 posts

It should be at least a minor key, but it's just not a title that generates a lot of interest.  About as exciting as Peter Parker #1.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,400 posts

I’m trying to get 2-55 9.8 run myself. Even though most of the stories are not that good it’s an early to mid Bronze Age run with the right price point with the budget I want to spend and also some cool covers too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43,577 posts

I do't know about it  being the second Spidey book as the original plan was to rotate the Human Torch in as the main character every four issues or so. 

I've long had it on my Top 100 BA Marvels, and the black cover makes it hard to find in HG. It used to be Top 25 but other books have eclipsed it.  If Disney gives us a Spidey/Torch movie, I'm sure it will pop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,855 posts
25 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I do't know about it  being the second Spidey book as the original plan was to rotate the Human Torch in as the main character every four issues or so. 

Hard not to think of it as the second Spidey title, when Spider-Man headlined 146 of 157 issues.

And when it was cancelled, it was replaced by Web of Spider-Man.

Marvel Team-Up lasted longer and had more issues published than both Web of and McFarlane's 1990 Spider-Man book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43,577 posts
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Hard not to think of it as the second Spidey title, when Spider-Man headlined 146 of 157 issues.

And when it was cancelled, it was replaced by Web of Spider-Man.

Marvel Team-Up lasted longer and had more issues published than both Web of and McFarlane's 1990 Spider-Man book.

 I've never thought of it as the second Spider-man title, and the reason why Peter Parker was so heavily bought was because it was the second Spider-Man title. I'd have to check MCS but I think the Human Torch rotation lasted about two years. Somebody was pushing Johnny Storm back then as they were reprinting his Strange Tales stories as well. It must have confused newbies as he had a red uniform in the Fantastic Four, a blue one in the FF stories being reprinted in MGCs, an adult HT in Marvel Team-Up, and a teenage one in The Human Torch.

Edit- I looked it up and the Human Torch was in 10 of the first 35 issues, so while it became a Spider-Man book three years into it's existence, it wasn't one at the start. It was more like Marvels version of World's Finest evolved into Brave and the Bold.

Edited by shadroch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4