• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Heritage Fake?

4 posts in this topic

This isn't comic art specifically but i think it's interesting, and pertinent, because it's Heritage. I was looking for Galaxy Express 999 animation cells this morning, and came across this previous sale listed on heritage... it's awful, and in my humble opinion it looks like a fake. 

maybe this was such a minor sale for them that they just didnt care? but it seems pretty obvious... i can draw a better Maetel than that... I've included an image of one of the DVD covers as reference image. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art/production-cel/galaxy-express-999-maetel-and-tetsuro-production-cel-setup-with-background-animation-art-toei-animation-1981-/a/121429-13665.s

GalaxyFake.jpg

galaxy express.jpg

Edited by The Cimmerians Purse
added auction link

I'm not familiar with this particular property, but I know animation quality can dip pretty low during some action or background sequences. A particular frame will only be present for 1-2 seconds, so they just need to convey the motion/action/shape rather than full detail. I'm no expert on animation, so I could be totally off base, but I know I've seen plenty of hilarious examples of terrible animation in otherwise high fidelity productions.

I found the owner of this piece on CAF - https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1194300

Best way to confirm it's veracity would probably be to find the actual frame in the show, but I'm not sure the quality here is enough to disqualify it.

On 5/2/2020 at 4:37 PM, Varanis said:

I'm not familiar with this particular property, but I know animation quality can dip pretty low during some action or background sequences. A particular frame will only be present for 1-2 seconds, so they just need to convey the motion/action/shape rather than full detail. I'm no expert on animation, so I could be totally off base, but I know I've seen plenty of hilarious examples of terrible animation in otherwise high fidelity productions.

I found the owner of this piece on CAF - https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1194300

Best way to confirm it's veracity would probably be to find the actual frame in the show, but I'm not sure the quality here is enough to disqualify it.

Thanks for that response. Makes sense, now that it's described that way. I'm restarting the show currently. So, i'll be keeping an eye out for the scene. 

If anyone is into Space Trains and life lessons about what's really important, and what is not... this really is a great series. It is subtitled, not dubbed. I know for some thats a turn off, but for others thats a feature. I love it! 

On 5/4/2020 at 12:15 PM, The Cimmerians Purse said:

Thanks for that response. Makes sense, now that it's described that way. I'm restarting the show currently. So, i'll be keeping an eye out for the scene. 

If anyone is into Space Trains and life lessons about what's really important, and what is not... this really is a great series. It is subtitled, not dubbed. I know for some thats a turn off, but for others thats a feature. I love it! 

Subtitles for life. I always love to hear the original voice acting. Even if I can’t understand the words, I can still hear the emotion.