• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The importance of THE LETTER OF AUTHENTICITY!
2 2

42 posts in this topic

Luckily women do not subscribe to the Ditko philosophy "If I go to bed with one person, I have to go to bed with everyone, therefore I go to bed with no one"

Edited by kav

27 minutes ago, kav said:

Luckily women do not subscribe to the Ditko philosophy "If I go to bed with one person, I have to go to bed with everyone, therefore I go to bed with no one"

Actually if she just talked to me endlessly about Ayn Rand I'd be ok.

46 minutes ago, kav said:

Some people only subscribe to the first two-thirds of that. (:

The letter of authenticity is not important at all. The integrity of the dealer is more important. JSA is a recognized source for authenticity for signed items but they also make mistakes, as does CGC.

So the best way to buy signed collectibles that you did not witness is to buy from dealers with a good reputation. You might be able to ask a recognized dealer who is an expert in a particular autograph for their opinion on a particular item.

You can also verify the signature against other known pieces yourself to see how close they are. There are a lot of other caveats but basically this is how I would start.

30 minutes ago, kav said:

A skilled surgeon also makes mistakes but not as many as a drug addled third world surgeon who graduated at bottom of class.

I'm missing your point, kav.

Edited by NoMan

9 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Sheer volume of 'errors' has to be considered.  You cant just say X makes errors too when confronted with huge volume of Y errors.

1 minute ago, kav said:
11 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Sheer volume of 'errors' has to be considered.  You cant just say X makes errors too when confronted with huge volume of Y errors.

I think you mean error rate, not volume.

If X does a thousand things with a 1% error rate, their volume of errors is 100. 

If Y does a million things with a 0.1% error rate, their volume of errors is 1,000.

Y is ten times better at their job than X, even though the Y volume is ten times worse.

19 minutes ago, kav said:

Also the quality of the errors.  If surgeon A used wrong sutures and surgeon B removed leg when it was supposed to be kidney-

In your example here, which(if either) of these surgeons was "drug addled"?

Edited by steveinthecity

I have a signed letter from Jim Valentino when he bought a BB 54 from me 20 years ago, and a personal check for $4.50 shipping which he forgot to add to his money order (which I never cashed). But alas, I have no LETTER OF AUTHENTICITY to go with it. :sorry:

Edited by lighthouse

So you hit one of the caveats.

Your example is with cards. Another type of autograph collectible with its own peculiarities. Modern signatures are often signed poorly also, with the only way to verify is to trust the seller who is known to have a good track record. Those signatures are usually verified in person.

The Ditko sig is clear as day. A good auction house that verifies these items should know if it is genuine.

JSA/PSA certification was never a motivator for me to buy autographs.