• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The importance of THE LETTER OF AUTHENTICITY!
2 2

42 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

And yes, one of the mechanics actually bought the original machinery that Topps (O-Pee-Chee) cut the cards with. So he can put nice new factory edges on them, smaller none-the-less.

:whatthe: That's Loki level cunning. 

37 minutes ago, newshane said:

:whatthe: That's Loki level cunning. 

He's been in business, cutting new factory edges on card for at least 25 years. Started out doing it for many others who would send him their cards, he'd re-machine the edges send them back, they'd submit them, sell them, and cut him in for a % of the take. You think this is new? Hardly!!

Edited by James J Johnson

5 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

he has million $$ items up the yin yang.

25 minutes ago, kav said:

he has million $$ items up the yin yang.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-1-CGC-SS-9-8-STAN-LEE-SIGNED-SKETCH-DATE-QUOTE-COMMENT-1-1/264465660406?hash=item3d9361b9f6:g:WIUAAOSwRrlb7Lzm 

$2.5 million! Why not $25 million? Or $25 billion, for that matter? Would that be any more insane than $2.5 million?

:screwy:

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Right now, there's a huge scandal in cards and autographed slabbed material, the work of about 20 card mechanics and a dozen or so forgers, all of their wares slabbed by PSA and Beckett. And I don't mean "mechanics" as in pressing. I'm talking about trimming, filling corners, trimming than re-cutting a card on the original machinery it was produced on to give it the scalloped edge, like 1952-1957 Topps cards and early O-P-Chee. I'm talking about bleaching also! And yes, one of the mechanics actually bought the original machinery that Topps (O-Pee-Chee) cut the cards with. So he can put nice new factory edges on them, smaller none-the-less.

This is a level of corruption that even I'm surprised to hear about. At least with comics it's usually fairly easy to tell if they've had some work done to them, professional or otherwise. Pretty nefarious stuff, JJJ...

44 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

He's been in business, cutting new factory edges on card for at least 25 years. Started out doing it for many others who would send him their cards, he'd re-machine the edges send them back, they'd submit them, sell them, and cut him in for a % of the take. You think this is new? Hardly!!

Just interesting to learn. I've never been into cards, unless you count Garbage Pail Kids! 

46 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

thank God most all my graded cards are mid grade at best , same as my CGC graded comic books

9 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

This is a level of corruption that even I'm surprised to hear about. At least with comics it's usually fairly easy to tell if they've had some work done to them, professional or otherwise. Pretty nefarious stuff, JJJ...

This is why the CGC yellow label was a tremendous boon for comic-related autograph collectors. It's solely based on eyeballs and not opinions. No guesswork involved.

Just now, 1950's war comics said:

thank God most all my graded cards are mid grade at best , same as my CGC graded comic books

Not so fast. The card mechanics haven't confined their manipulations to only high grade cards. There are just as many instance of PSA 2s that have been cut, massaged, corner filled, bleached, etc. into 3.0s as 8s that have been worked into 9s. This is common practice for lower grade cards that still have high value and where it's cost effective to spend the time to do it.

6 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Not so fast. The card mechanics haven't confined their manipulations to only high grade cards. There are just as many instance of PSA 2s that have been cut, massaged, corner filled, bleached, etc. into 3.0s as 8s that have been worked into 9s. This is common practice for lower grade cards that still have high value and where it's cost effective to spend the time to do it.

sounds like it would be better to buy lower grade raw cards these days than graded cards

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

sounds like it would be better to buy lower grade raw cards these days than graded cards

Check this out. It'll give you some idea of the magnitude of the fraud that is and always has plagued the graded card market.

http://www.sportscardradio.com/gary-moser-pwcc-marketplace-card-trimming-shill-bidding-scam/

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Check this out. It'll give you some idea of the magnitude of the fraud that is and always has plagued the graded card market.

http://www.sportscardradio.com/gary-moser-pwcc-marketplace-card-trimming-shill-bidding-scam/

Thanks i'm going to read it ... i'm not up on the card market anymore like i used to be , but i had a feeling something fishy was going on when i

saw a low grade key that looked great except for a major crease go for double what a similar graded card was going for , so i have a feeling that 

someone has learned how to iron out creases good enough to slip them past the graders ??

22 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Thanks i'm going to read it ... i'm not up on the card market anymore like i used to be , but i had a feeling something fishy was going on when i

saw a low grade key that looked great except for a major crease go for double what a similar graded card was going for , so i have a feeling that 

someone has learned how to iron out creases good enough to slip them past the graders ??

Interesting that the infamously trimmed PSA 8 Wagner (states nothing on the label concerning the trimming) has been supplanted in price by a PSA 5 Wagner, by about a million dollars. The untrimmed, or should I say, known to not be trimmed, is now the most valuable card, that distinction no longer attributed to the PSA 8 Wagner, which is known to be trimmed. And some folks have a gripe with CGC over Ewert or this and that? It's a CGC hill of beans compared to a PSA Mt. Everest size problem.

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

It's easy to tell on cards too. The majority are under smaller than an index card and they only have two planes, front and back. How and why they consistently missed it for 20 years is another issue altogether.

1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

When it comes to cards all I have is a box of Valiant Unity cards. :smile:

Do they come with a LETTER OF AUTHENTICITY ?

15 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Yeah, from the stuff I saw I wouldn’t even touch a PSA 2 1952 Mantle I have seen one’s around hat grade proven to have been worked on with before and after photos sitting in regular old PSA slabs in the after state.

Edited by Mephisto