• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1993 goldenage comic con vids. Back when you could eat chicken wings in the CC Metropolis booth.
4 4

73 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, thedude said:

this was early 90s, not sure exact year, '91,'92. but the footage is from a video that overstreet put out that year, I have a copy. although, only a small portion of what is presented here is actually in the video, this is the first time I'm seeing the complete unedited video that was taken. love the discussion of the "dot" v.s. "no dot" on the Batman #1s. and those estimated prices. whoo boy!!!

No kidding about the prices. I never pictured myself as a Yugo kind of guy, but turns out I am! 

and the Dot, No-Dot discussion? Priceless. But, even 28 years later, to my knowledge, the market prices the Bat 1s the same, regardless of Dot, No-Dot

5 hours ago, marmat said:

Looks like the middle copy pf Batman 1 is the actual copy that is for sale now in the MyComicShop auction. 

It is now  a CGC 4.0

That’s the Yugo, subscription crease and all, that I am currently agonizing over

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

5 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

A young Mr. Yee!

Love Harley, but I’m sure even he would look back and laugh at his statement “there’s no reason to invest in low grade comics”. 

if it weren’t for low grade comics, I’d be collecting commemorative spoons

51 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

What ever happened to Robert rogovin?

I've seen Rob set up at the big NY Comic Con in recent times

He revamped his website a few years ago, but doesn't seem to update often:

https://www.fourcolorcomics.com/aboutus/

He ran with the big boys back in the 1990s, added to his collection, made a ton of money and is now probably taking a step back and enjoying life!

35 minutes ago, marmat said:

What is the Yugo? 

When discussing why some collectors want only high grade, either Rogovin or Fischler said “some people want to ride to work in a Mercedes, and some are content with a Yugo”. Or words to this effect. And during the Yugo discussion, they held up the exact book I’m now figuring out in my head how to fund. Such a small world. 

it’s really quite eerie

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

He ran with the big boys back in the 1990s, added to his collection, made a ton of money and is now probably taking a step back and enjoying life!

I bought three books from him just last night. 

1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

I just looked at his website. Not a single book over $5k. He has stepped back from the stress, maybe

8 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Tell me about these guys!

The one on the left called it when he said invest in gold and silver comics.

Awsome videos. Such a great time when SDCC was king.

Who are these guys?

Other than Fisher and Harley, how many of these guys are still active in the hobby?

I think that was Metros booth... the Four Color Comics sign is behind a wall of comics.  Rob probably came running over from his adjacent booth cause the cameras were rolling. And they were doing a lot of deals together at the time.  For a time.  Funny to see Steve appear almost taking a back seat to Rob, considering how it all went down down back then.

Who was the other guy in the booth? Looks familiar..

29 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Who are these guys?

In the Fishler/Rogovin video, it looks like David Armstrong in the blue shirt seated at the 1:07 mark.

In the Legends Comics video, the guy they bring in with the Green Lantern 1 is Charles Tyson, who is now part of the Alliance Games Distributors under Diamond/Geppi

The voice in the background doing the interviews is the legendary Gary Carter (of San Diego/Comic Book Marketplace fame not the Expos/Mets catcher!)

Edited by DanCooper

4 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I bought three books from him just last night. 

Rob's a great guy.  I bought a stack of books from him a few months back and talked to him on the phone, had a great conversation.  I get the sense he's really into movie posters and it was apparent right away that he has an encyclopedic knowledge of things.  I mentioned a very obscure movie poster that I own from a B-movie from the 60s and he knew all the details of it.  (thumbsu

9 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Rob recently welcomed a new grandbaby into the family and is definitely enjoying life now.

The voice in the background doing the interviews is the legendary Gary Carter (of San Diego/Comic Book Marketplace fame not the Expos/Mets catcher!)

I thought I recognized that mustache, but it's been a while since I've heard the voice, so I wasn't sure.

6 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
8 hours ago, DanCooper said:

I just looked at his website. Not a single book over $5k. He has stepped back from the stress, maybe

Good to hear that he's still keeping a hand in the game as I remember buying a few books from him back in the day.  :applause:

Guess he's no longer as active as before since Four Color has not advertised in the Overstreet Guide for a few years now and Robert is also no longer listed as one of their advisors for the first time this year.  :frown:

From the video though, it sounds as though he has moved away from the high end of the market where he was saying that it wasn't any different and wasn't any harder to sell a $5K book as it does to sell a $500 book.  Basically just the same sale, but only for more money and hence a better end of the market for him to focus on.  Guess it's either no longer that way anymore for him or that  he probably doesn't have quite the same access as before since he no longer seems to be hanging around with the high rollers in the marketplace.  (shrug)

39 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

since he no longer seems to be hanging around with the high rollers in the marketplace.  (shrug)

Hey, I just said I bought a few books from him a couple days ago :sumo: