• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1993 goldenage comic con vids. Back when you could eat chicken wings in the CC Metropolis booth.
4 4

73 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Primetime said:

It’s a shame they are eating chicken wings without hot sauce :screwy:

Rogovin sold me my first FF1 in 1995. Rob loved silver age Flash back in the day. 

This video reminds me of the time I was down at one of the SD Con's back in the early to mid 90's with my family. hm

My better half was surprised that Fishler was so cavalier with these expensive keys as he was just whipping them out of the holders without paying too much attention to them at all while talking to you at the same time, as though they were just your regular worthless new books that had just come out last week.  :whatthe:

Especially in comparison to Robert Roter from PCE which my kids found rather funny as he would slowly put on his pair of white gloves on and then slowly and very carefully puled the book out from the holder, as though he was working with very explosive nitroglycerin.  lol  

Edited by lou_fine

8 minutes ago, Ryan. said:
50 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

since he no longer seems to be hanging around with the high rollers in the marketplace.  (shrug)

Hey, I just said I bought a few books from him a couple days ago :sumo:

I meant from the dealer point of view like Fishler and Heritage now, as opposed to high end deep pocketed customers like you.  :bigsmile:

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

This video reminds me of the time I was down at one of the SD Con's back in the early to mid 90's with my family. hm

My better half was surprised that Fishler was so cavalier with these expensive keys as he was just whipping them out of the holders without paying too much attention to them at all while talking to you at the same time, as though they were just your regular worthless new books that had just come out last week.  :whatthe:

Especially in comparison to Robert Roter from PCE which my kids found rather funny as he would slowly put on his pair of white gloves on and then slowly and very carefully puled the book out from the holder, as though he was working with very explosive nitroglycerin.  lol  

Fishler was always confident in his handling of vintage comics. I remember showing him an All Select 1 at Wondercon in the 90s and he flipped though it very smoothly in a matter of seconds. 

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

And where is Robert roter these days?

i bought from PCE back in the early 90s

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

19 hours ago, Primetime said:

Wow that is a great video of Mike Goldman (Motor City Comics) and Joe Verenault at Metropolis booth. Those were the good old days when I would try to see a Showcase #4 laying flat on the corner table but Metro staff were sitting on it eating a union hotdog with extra mustard. <3 Vinnie Z. was sharing a SDCC booth with Carbo back then.

22 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Was you lucky enough to still be around collecting in the latter part of the 90's when he found the Pacific Coast pedigree and brought that collection to market? :wishluck:

47 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Robert Roter is the only person I have ever told to never bother coming to my booth to try to buy something ever again. 

3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Robert Roter is the only person I have ever told to never bother coming to my booth to try to buy something ever again. 

hm

51 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Sounds like he got run out of town. 

i remember John Fairless got mad at him for, without asking first, taking his books under his dealer table and running them under a black light. Or was that you that told me about it?

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

I went to Roters booth once to see a book.  Then he brought out the gloves! I wanted to see the book so I put them on.   Didn't buy it, and never stepped in his booth ever again.  So ridiculous...   As for Rogovin, I think he had some health issues that made him take a step back.  That and other issues and events pushed him out of the "elite crowd"...

I've purchased some nice movie posters from Rogovin,  but he doesn't have the inventory of comics that he used to have. But his poster selection is nice, and he has some of the coolest posters from classic horror and sci-fi movies from the thirties to the fifties.

4 hours ago, Tsp99 said:

hm

In the mid 90s I bought a really nice collection of late 50s Superman family titles. Wondercon was the first show I took the collection to. I priced the books a little strong because of the overall condition. This was before I  put grades on each individual book. Roter came to the booth and I let him go through the collection behind the table. He would pull out a book and ask "how did you grade this one?" I would give him a grade and he would disagree. He would pull out another book. "How do you grade this?" I would give him a grade and he would disagree. It was obvious that he just wanted a discount. I finally said "don't worry about my grade. Each book has a price in it. You know how to grade. You grade it. You figure out what it is worth to you. If it is worth what I priced it at then buy it." He said okay.

He pulled out another book. "How did you grade this one?"

"Rob, it doesn't matter what I graded it. You know how to grade. It only matters what I priced it."

"Well how did you grade it?"

And at that point I put all of the books back in the boxes, told Robert Roter to get out from behind my table and to never come around again.

Edited by MrBedrock

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Sounds like he got run out of town. 

i remember John Fairless got mad at him for, without asking first, taking his books under his dealer table and running them under a black light. Or was that you that told me about it?

Fairless couldn't stand him.

15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

This video reminds me of the time I was down at one of the SD Con's back in the early to mid 90's with my family. hm Robert Roter from PCE which my kids found rather funny as he would slowly put on his pair of white gloves on and then slowly and very carefully puled the book out from the holder, as though he was working with very explosive nitroglycerin.  lol  

Roter may have done this as 99% of Pacific Comics Exchange inventory was consignment stock, and it was a bit sweaty at overcrowded :troll: SDCC in August each year.

I first met Rob Roter at Sotheby's or Christie's East back in the 1990s when they were doing comic auctions.

Gary Carter introduced us to each other, to which Gary stated that I was in the presence of a celebrity. It seems Roter was a child actor back in the early 1960s and appeared in some heavyweight TV series of the time (see the following IMDB page - "The Fugitive", "My Favorite Martian", "McHale's Navy", "The Lucy Show", etc)

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1510169/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

I asked Rob what role was he most famous for and he told me he was in "The Lucy Show" Christmas show as a choir boy who loses his voice.

Young Rob can be seen in this scene at around the 20:46 mark of this video:

https://youtu.be/BXsli6HYpJQ

Edited by DanCooper

10 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

In the mid 90s I bought a really nice collection of late 50s Superman family titles. Wondercon was the first show I took the collection to. I priced the books a little strong because of the overall condition. This was before I  put grades on each individual book. Roter came to the booth and I let him go through the collection behind the table. He would pull out a book and ask "how did you grade this one?" I would give him a grade and he would disagree. He would pull out another book. "How do you grade this?" I would give him a grade and he would disagree. It was obvious that he just wanted a discount. I finally said "don't worry about my grade. Each book has a price in it. You know how to grade. You grade it. You figure out what it is worth to you. If it is worth what I priced it at then buy it." He said okay.

He pulled out another book. "How did you grade this one?"

"Rob, it doesn't matter what I graded it. You know how to grade. It only matters what I priced it."

"Well how did you grade it?"

And at that point I put all of the books back in the boxes, told Robert Roter to get out from behind my table and to never come around again.

this is the dude that found the Pacific Coast collection, correct ?

Probably pulled the same modus.

Edited by Gotham Kid