• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you guys think..NON-DISCLOSED big piece of tape on cover I missed
2 2

43 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, OdinsSecrets said:

It seems to work for me? It just links to ebay's final sale price page now instead of including it on their website. I think anyone can use the eBay API to look up final sale prices though.

http://www.watchcount.com/go/?cid=ilu-bosfp-233534324215-&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItemVersion%26item%3D233534324215

Oh wait I see you click on "here on ebay"
THX!

5 hours ago, bikesnbuses said:

Do YOU think there was anything wrong with the listing?I though that all major flaws on ANY item should be disclosed; clothes with rips,glass with chips,missing parts pieces,etc..............Thanks everyone!

Yes, it should have been disclosed in the listing, especially considering that tape is always a turnoff for comic collectors...

Agree with the others - tape should have been mentioned.  It's  a big thing.

Regarding the return shipping fee, if you have a PERSONAL PAYPAL account, you can sign up for Free Returns (no longer available on business accounts).  PayPal will cover your shipping on returns, if you paid for the item through PayPal, so you don't have to battle it out with the seller or eBay.  Just go here for more info, or to sign up for free:
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

You can put in up to 12 requests per year, $30 max per request.  It has to be the same PP account you used to make the purchase and return.  I use it occasionally, easy to submit, paid promptly.  You have to have already signed up before the return, so this is for future returns.  It won't help retroactively.

return the book if you do not want it.

My opinion:

This is a learning experience for you as the buyer. I assume there is risk in anything I buy from Ebay sellers because I can not trust the grading until I have purchased several books from a seller. I developed a rule over years of buying and I stick to it: if the seller can't post nice big pictures then I do not buy it.

The tape should have been mentioned, a large picture that shows it to be there is in my opinion required if they didn't mention it.

Lastly, what did you pay? If the book normally sells for 30 bucks in the condition it is in and you got it for $10...well you did well and I would chalk the experience up to learning and a little expenditure for the learning was of value and then wash my hands of it and never buy from that seller again.

Edited by Artboy99

21 hours ago, bikesnbuses said:

Its really sad as the book was super nice sans tape..:tonofbricks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233534324215

20200425_145803.jpg

20200425_144611.jpg

Totally should have been mentioned...I have a few people I trust looking over books I'm going to buy in case there is anything I missed, one time i was looking at a book and totally missed the number 40 in red marker on a red background, but thankfully my good friend saw it and pointed it out to me...this should have been listed in the details. I'm glad you were able to return it

Edited by Hollywood1892

Probably one of those sellers with endless terms but no description other than “look at the pictures I’m not a professional grader” and no returns. I don’t care what it is, I move on. 

As far as who pays for shipping. If I were the seller and I missed something like that I pay it. My mistake and no reason for the buyer to be out anything. If it is buyer’s remourse or the buyer argues a half a grade or tries to negotiate a lower price, they pay.

One way around it. Just file a PayPal dispute. You can do it for just about any stupid reason even “I changed my mind”. The seller has to send you a link to a return shipping label. You ship it back and as soon as tracking says it’s there, they refund you in full. You are just out your time. 

I rarely use EBay for buying or selling anymore. Getting to pricey and too much funny business going on. 

Yes tape should have been mentioned. As a buyer though, you can clearly see that area is discoloured. I would have sent a message prior being like "is that a stain or what..??"

And from there, I would have bid/offered accordingly because that piece of tape looks like it coulda come off nicely (as it appears to just be there and not be repairing anything) and I would have removed that sucker :)

1 minute ago, comicginger1789 said:

that piece of tape looks like it coulda come off nicely (as it appears to just be there and not be repairing anything) and I would have removed that sucker :)

What technique or process is best for removing tape that has been on a cover or page for so long?  I don't think I have ever tried to remove any from comics.

6 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

What technique or process is best for removing tape that has been on a cover or page for so long?  I don't think I have ever tried to remove any from comics.

Use a thinner or cleaning solvent. If tape is on cover, place a piece of paper between cover and first pages. Using a q-tip to soak the edge of the tape (do not worry about getting the thinner on the comic as it dissolves and dries away very quickly and does not leave any stain or mark...unless you like dump a whole ton onto the cover). Dab the edge of the tape with the solvent. Use a sharp edge of an exaco nice to pull up the tape. Then, continue to dab solvent to underside of tape as you carefully pull up and off.

Takes practice. I strongly recommend trying on several junk comics first to get good at it or if you are worried. Also helps to test the solvent to find a good one that doesn't stain or discolour the paper.  

6 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Use a thinner or cleaning solvent. If tape is on cover, place a piece of paper between cover and first pages. Using a q-tip to soak the edge of the tape (do not worry about getting the thinner on the comic as it dissolves and dries away very quickly and does not leave any stain or mark...unless you like dump a whole ton onto the cover). Dab the edge of the tape with the solvent. Use a sharp edge of an exaco nice to pull up the tape. Then, continue to dab solvent to underside of tape as you carefully pull up and off.

Takes practice. I strongly recommend trying on several junk comics first to get good at it or if you are worried. Also helps to test the solvent to find a good one that doesn't stain or discolour the paper.  

Sounds manageable.  Thanks for the tutorial.  Maybe if I see an undervalued comic due to tape, I'll give it a try.  After some practice, as you suggested, of course.

3 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

Sounds manageable.  Thanks for the tutorial.  Maybe if I see an undervalued comic due to tape, I'll give it a try.  After some practice, as you suggested, of course.

Yeah, I practiced on a bunch of terrible books that I use for my art project first and have really only done it once or twice on personal books. There are pros who charge to do it and they may have a better foolproof method but that is what I have done :)

I was putting ASM 50 into bag after scanning for ebay when the tape stuck I panicked and pulled and got a nice tape pull center of book.  Should have stopped, carefully cut tape then either leave it or tried solvent.

I suspect we have all had the tape pull accident, very painful, especially on an ASM 50.  After my first altercation, probably decades ago, I never take a comic out of its bag unless all the tape has been removed from the bag flaps.  It's a hassle, but not letting that tape thing happen again.  Especially if it's someone else's comic that you are looking at as favor to evaluate, or to buy.  It's bad enough killing your own book, but someone else's??  That would be the worst.

6 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

I suspect we have all had the tape pull accident, very painful, especially on an ASM 50.  After my first altercation, probably decades ago, I never take a comic out of its bag unless all the tape has been removed from the bag flaps.  It's a hassle, but not letting that tape thing happen again.  Especially if it's someone else's comic that you are looking at as favor to evaluate, or to buy.  It's bad enough killing your own book, but someone else's??  That would be the worst.

I'm sitting there scanning a bunch of nothing books like jimmy olsen and thats the book that gets the tape pull. >:(

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I'm sitting there scanning a bunch of nothing books like jimmy olsen and thats the book that gets the tape pull. >:(

Like when you get a shipment of hardcovers....All the $30 books are fine, but the one $200 book that they put on the BOTTOM of the box got scrunched.  Murphy's Law.

8 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

I did one on a beautiful high grade ASM #32. Your blood runs cold doesn't it. As for others comics, I asked a dealer if I could check a book at the London Comic Fair once. He said "I'll do it for you", with an air of faint superiority, and then promptly got the whole book stuck on the tape. It was really hard not to laugh if I'm honest.