• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men vs ASM 129 and other big Bronze Keys

45 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

.5-2.0 129 is higher than GSX 

your missing it and your excluded those grades

2.0  129-375.00 Giant 1 325.00

the price stayed same for 129 and gets lower as you go on GSX

please take another look.

I see now. You're using GoCollect which is your problem. They have GSX 2.0 at $325 while the CGC 90 day GPA is actually $550. The same applies to grades lower than that.

11 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

What are your deciding factors? Do you want one more? Want the best investment? Personally I would buy whatever one I got the best deal on. Asm gets higher grade for the buck. Better investment as well. Punisher came and went from netflix so should be a little cheaper than 2017 2018? I dont have gpa so cant do the work. But I know xmen that was already a huge popular book. They been in tons of non disney movies. But just because disney got the rights fomo set in and book skyrocketed. It is down from its highest point but still artificially inflated. Fomo people bought it already, now speculation people are buying it thinking it is down, with movie schedules falling behind it might drop even more. Buy what you want the most. If I came across both tomorrow they would be up for sale tomorrow night. Many other things I would invest in over these 2 books. 

Thank you for this information.

Im leaning toward 129 but not able to find anyone willing to sell for GPA

everyone want literally 2-300 above and that’s nuts.

the GSX 1 I have someone that wants 50.00 over gpa for 4.5 and I see some bids landing at about gpa also.

exactly as you said I’m looking for the best deal but that’s hard when people are asking so much and there books jut sitting unsold or sold to suckers

Just now, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I see now. You're using GoCollect which is your problem. They have GSX 2.0 at $325 while the CGC 90 day GPA is actually $550. The same applies to grades lower than that.

Oooh Holy ! I’m glad you have pointed this out this changes everything

1 minute ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

So what is gpa in GSX 4.5?

As I’m using go collect and may be bidding too low and thinking people are asking to much

4 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

So what is gpa in GSX 4.5?

As I’m using go collect and may be bidding too low and thinking people are asking to much

GoCollect is actually higher on that grade. 90 day is $876 and trending down. $980 for 12 month, but $1060 for last sale. If you're serious about diving into CGC books, spend the $12 for CGC if only for a month at a time when planning on making a purchase. People are generally not crazy about giving out free info from a service that they pay for. 

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

9 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

GoCollect is actually higher on that grade. 90 day is $876 and trending down. $980 for 12 month, but $1060 for last sale. If you're serious about diving into CGC books, spend the $12 for CGC if only for a month at a time when planning on making a purchase. People are generally not crazy about giving out free info from a service that they pay for. 

Oh ok yes that is a great idea and thank you!

I would also go with the series/characters you like better. GSX is probably more “significant” but ASM is a prettier book to look at if the colors are still crisp. Ultimately for me, since I like both series’ equally I would go with whatever one I could get in the higher grade. That looks to be the ASM. Do you ever display your books? I do so that is why I would get the ASM. Higher grade=better condition=Nicer to look at. 

2 hours ago, Summydad1 said:

I would also go with the series/characters you like better. GSX is probably more “significant” but ASM is a prettier book to look at if the colors are still crisp. Ultimately for me, since I like both series’ equally I would go with whatever one I could get in the higher grade. That looks to be the ASM. Do you ever display your books? I do so that is why I would get the ASM. Higher grade=better condition=Nicer to look at. 

Yes I display my books and always try to get the most presentable.

Im actually looking at a GSX 4.5 for 1000.00 that is very clean and a nice ASM 129 raw that looks like a 7.5 but there’s a split/tear on the spine about 2 -3 inches at top for 500.00

so may buy both.

also looking at a raw 181 that looks like a 5.5 but missing stamp for 1000.00 

3 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Yes I display my books and always try to get the most presentable.

Im actually looking at a GSX 4.5 for 1000.00 that is very clean and a nice ASM 129 raw that looks like a 7.5 but there’s a split/tear on the spine about 2 -3 inches at top for 500.00

so may buy both.

also looking at a raw 181 that looks like a 5.5 but missing stamp for 1000.00 

Wow! That’s the big three. Good luck! They will look good displayed together. I am all for displaying books. 

I would first say that you first need to figure out WHY you collect.  Forget about the investment purposes unless you are going for a higher grade book which it doesn't seem like you are.  I'd say a good investment would be to buy the highest grade you can get for either book.  For collection purposes, buy what you like more.  It can be as simple as which cover do you want to look more at every day or which book has a more nostalgic meaning to you or which character you like more.  If you collect more Punisher/Spiderman then go for 129.  If you collect more Xmen then go the GSX1 route.

Find out what your WHY is and then go from there.  Good luck.

Giant-Size X-Men 1 is my lifelong, most significant Bronze Age book, and so for me it crushes all opposition.

Unsurprisingly, another vote for it from me.

Although, I do like ASM 129 as well.  I have both.

Edited by Ken Aldred

GSXM 1

A vote for it from me as well...

Been inching down in price that you could get 6-7.0 for only a couple hundred more plus tax of course, than a 4-5.0, if you're patient and timing is right. 

Personally I wouldn't go for an IH missing a mvs because it would be considered "incomplete"

ASM 129 is good as well, but it's hard to not wait and get it later imo

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4 May 2020 at 8:59 PM, Keys_Collector said:

I would first say that you first need to figure out WHY you collect.  Forget about the investment purposes unless you are going for a higher grade book which it doesn't seem like you are.  I'd say a good investment would be to buy the highest grade you can get for either book.  For collection purposes, buy what you like more.  It can be as simple as which cover do you want to look more at every day or which book has a more nostalgic meaning to you or which character you like more.  If you collect more Punisher/Spiderman then go for 129.  If you collect more Xmen then go the GSX1 route.

Find out what your WHY is and then go from there.  Good luck.

That's exactly my point also.. Go with what u want more. Stop dwelling on investment investment investment I'm getting sick of collectors who chase the magic investment book rather then get what they love the most.. It's the worst way to collect like driving through a snow storm is what it is.. If Nova #1 goes up in value let's say then hey I think il be the FOMO person and jump on that book cause it's a book that's gaining in value right even though I don't care two u know what about it.. Don't ever buy a book u truly don't want cause u will regret spending money on it one day.. Ask yourself this question,,,,If gold prices are going up does that mean everyone should buy gold? Even though u like Silver more? 

I would go with the GS X-Men 1. It's a more important book to the hobby than ASM 129 is.

If you want to look at it from an investment view, the Punisher movies haven't done all that well, so future Punisher movies and a reboot are probably 5 years off at least. 

X-Men movies usually do really well though, and Disney will be bringing them back soon. Any chance Disney can get to feature Wolverine, they will. Plus ,they'll find a way to tie it in with Avengers and other big Marvel movies. With Punisher, that's probably unlikely. 

If you can only afford one, go with the one you love most.

If you love both equally, I think GSX1 is the better long term book. I think it will hold the values it is currenlty getting, if not increase slightly over time. ASM #129 will also increase but I feel it will do so slower. 

Plus, other factors like GSX1 being a thicker, squarebound book and a white cover make it harder to find nice copies even as mid grade and especially higher grade. I doubt either one ever comes down that much in price so if you are gonna hop on the train, now would be the time. 

I want both of them! That will avoid any conflict I have about which one I want more.  I used to own both of them but sold them (I've regretted it ever since and not because of their rise in value)  GSX1 I had 9.4 and ASM129 in 9.0.  
My goal is own both of them in about the same grades again.
Now, If I have to choose which one, then for me it's ASM129.  I thought the Punisher was just a new type of anti-hero that really appealed to me.  I just like Punisher a very tiny bit better than the X-Men.  Both are phenomenal books to own in any grade IMHYWO.