• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS has a new nickname.
3 3

28 posts in this topic

Some routing that I don't understand.

I live in Alabama. (Yeah, I know, but what are ya gonna do).

Bought some books from a seller in Vermont shipped media mail. The first stop was Los Angeles, California. Then Memphis. Then Atlanta. Then to Birmingham (in Alabama) and to my local USPS.

Buy books from a guy outside of Atlanta just about on a weekly basis. He ships media mail. It goes to Atlanta, then to Memphis, then back to Atlanta and then to Birmingham. Every time.

If I pay my electric bill by mail, it goes 50 miles to Birmingham and then comes back to to the local P.O. Box.

46 minutes ago, evilskip said:

Some routing that I don't understand.

I live in Alabama. (Yeah, I know, but what are ya gonna do).

Bought some books from a seller in Vermont shipped media mail. The first stop was Los Angeles, California. Then Memphis. Then Atlanta. Then to Birmingham (in Alabama) and to my local USPS.

Buy books from a guy outside of Atlanta just about on a weekly basis. He ships media mail. It goes to Atlanta, then to Memphis, then back to Atlanta and then to Birmingham. Every time.

If I pay my electric bill by mail, it goes 50 miles to Birmingham and then comes back to to the local P.O. Box.

I know. It has to do with COVID-19 that affected some USPS facilities across US.  I have seen the routes went zipzap route.  For example, one route from NC went straight to Chicago then should have gone straight to the mail processing center near my home before my local post office. I saw the route went to southwest suburb (about 1 hour away from my home) then went to Fox Lake (about 45 minutes northwest of my location) and went to the mail processing center but it was held for two more days before releasing it to my local PO.  It's 17 days!  It's Media Mail.  Some Priority Mails were delayed by few more days lately.  It seemed any packages go in the zipzap route.

I have seen some crazy routes out there, too.  I have had a few eBay buyers contact me, wondering where their packages are.  I have to explain to them that things are different now, and we all have to have a lot more patience.  Some things just travel right along as usual, even faster sometimes.  And then there are the outliers.  I had a package coming to me, one state away only, shipped 4/3, got here 4/18.  Got stuck in one location for 8 days, no movement at all.

But this can happen without the aid of Covid.  A few years ago, I shipped a package to England.  It got to England, and then bounced back to New York.  Went down to New Jersey, then back to New York.  They must have finally noticed the address, because it was sent back to England.  But no, rejected again and back to New York.  Third try to England, it made it through customs and got delivered.  Wish I had THOSE frequent flier miles.

Right now it is like christmas at the PO. Plus they are working at 60% staff because of call ins of Covid. Not that they have covid, they are just using their leave because of fears of covid. It's crazy right now.
Overtime is very easy to get right now.
One processing plant had to shut down because of so many call ins for two weeks and diverted it all two states away to process.
Really is a crazy time.

13 hours ago, Stingrayiii said:

Right now it is like christmas at the PO. Plus they are working at 60% staff because of call ins of Covid. Not that they have covid, they are just using their leave because of fears of covid. It's crazy right now.
Overtime is very easy to get right now.
One processing plant had to shut down because of so many call ins for two weeks and diverted it all two states away to process.
Really is a crazy time.

My wife works for Amazon and decided to show up 3 days per month according to Amazon's attendance policy to avoid COVID-19.   I am not sure if Amazon employees already set up a strike. Few companies are going to follow like Wal-Mart, Target, Interact and other companies.

I am the front line employee too at UPS. Normally, the high seasonal starts in November until middle January but it is still crazy ever since.  Many supervisors constantly ask me if I would do double shift or Saturdays - I already exhaust!   Amazon pays $5 more hourly!  UPS doesn't!!!

UPScrooge!

Edited by JollyComics

3 hours ago, JollyComics said:

My wife works for Amazon and decided to show up 3 days per month according to Amazon's attendance policy to avoid COVID-19.   I am not sure if Amazon employees already set up a strike. Few companies are going to follow like Wal-Mart, Target, Interact and other companies.

I am the front line employee too at UPS. Normally, the high seasonal starts in November until middle January but it is still crazy ever since.  Many supervisors constantly ask me if I would do double shift or Saturdays - I already exhaust!   Amazon pays $5 more hourly!  UPS doesn't!!!

UPScrooge!

Tell me about it. Working our butts off at the USPS. I was called in this morning to work today to run amazon packages, but told them no. It's my wife's birthday and I am not working.
Would be straight overtime, but sometimes it just isn't worth it.

2 minutes ago, Stingrayiii said:

Tell me about it. Working our butts off at the USPS. I was called in this morning to work today to run amazon packages, but told them no. It's my wife's birthday and I am not working.

Back in December 2019, I worked overtime for two straight months - my average 55 hours a week at UPS excluded my adjunct faculty at two colleges. Yes, I was exhausted and got my back injury on December 22 then I was on the disability leave for two months with my disability benefit.  Came back to work. I was astonished they still work like crazy. Not worthy for my time being, I was so blessed that I got hurt early before the hospitals are over-flooded with patients with COVID-19.  My local hospital just celebrated 100th recovered patient from COVID-19 - just two deaths. That is pretty low for my area unlike Chicago has highest morality.

14 minutes ago, Stingrayiii said:

2 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Back in December 2019, I worked overtime for two straight months - my average 55 hours a week at UPS excluded my adjunct faculty at two colleges. Yes, I was exhausted and got my back injury on December 22 then I was on the disability leave for two months with my disability benefit.  Came back to work. I was astonished they still work like crazy. Not worthy for my time being, I was so blessed that I got hurt early before the hospitals are over-flooded with patients with COVID-19.  My local hospital just celebrated 100th recovered patient from COVID-19 - just two deaths. That is pretty low for my area unlike Chicago has highest morality.

Thank You for Your Service!

Even when able, all essential workers deserve some :foryou: :headbang: :x you're all ^^ 's keeping us running!

I think my weirdest route went from Chicago to PA to Puerto Rico to Memphis to Chicago to Cincinnati.  That was a priority package.  I wish I still had the screenshot.  I wasn't even mad, I was more intrigued by it.  Right now, I'm sitting on about five days of having two packages not scanned in at the post office.  I've been using the drop box in the 24 hour lobby to avoid lines with the 'rona running wild.  I'm used to maybe a day lag time with that, but five seems a little much.  I wouldn't be too worried with it except that I dropped off other items with those packages that have scanned and moved through the system.  Some delivered yesterday, some going out today for delivery.  It's slightly frustrating.  

On 5/3/2020 at 6:14 PM, Ant-Man said:

So if a packaged was last scanned on 4/09 (west coast), and hasn’t been seen since, should I be worried?

A month seems like a long time.  I had one I gave to USPS on 4/25 it didn't say in transit to facility until 4/29, then didn't arrive at a distribution center until 5/4.  This was 2-day priority.
All the stuff I shipped at the beginning of April, roughly 30 packages, were all delivered in less than a week.  The slowdown really started towards the end of April it seems.  At least in the midwest here.

Edited by 90sChild

i know everyone wants to save $$$ but why not use fedex right now? they dont usually disappear packages and their boxes are roughly one million times better than the usps paper thin piece of s&%t priority mail boxes. i'm at the point where i won't buy a book if a seller insists on usps. my last purchase, the case got chipped in spite of good bubble wrap inside because the boxes are so weak. i'd spend a bit more to ship with someone better at this point. i recommend it for all. screw usps. 

14 hours ago, Steelrain41 said:

I'm waiting on a book from @BuscemasAvengers that went from Canada to Chicago, sat for a week before going to Tennessee, now heading west in Missouri, and meanwhile I'm waiting out in North Carolina lol

I got a package from him that took about a month. He did everything right and is a straight up boardie. Tracking wouldn’t tell me anything other than “in route”. About once a week it would say the same with a newer date. I got it eventually and was real happy with my purchase!