• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

​​​​​​​WE HAVE A WINNER - SEE FIRST POST - GA Artist May Madness
8 8

326 posts in this topic

Kinda surprised to see Matt Baker NOT in the GGA category.  I had to look up a few artists....  shame on me.

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

Kinda surprised to see Matt Baker NOT in the GGA category.  I had to look up a few artists....  shame on me.

Sorry for the confusion on this - I posted this earlier in this thread but it may have gotten lost.  The artists were ranked by the seeding of the entry round.  Since the seeds sorted the tournament, the artists were spread all over.  NCAA March Madness uses geographic regions based on where the games are played but you could have a team from the US west coast playing in the East Regional across country.

I tried to think of something fun to name the regionals but apparently using genres was not the best idea.

10 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

These brackets made me sad.  Barks v. Kurtzman and  Foster v. Toth?  Those are four of the top ten (maybe 20 at most) comic book/strip artists of all time!

I admit I was surprised by some of the seeding (votes from the entry round). But I was the only who voted for Sultan (didn't make the tournament since he had only one vote.  I suspect many feel he is a Lou Fine hack (who is tops for me).  Maybe because Sultan gave me Fine-type art but he was a damned good artist.  And given, only 51 boardies voted in the entry round, it is a limited sampling.

I hope people are finding it both fun and diversionary. 

3 minutes ago, telerites said:

I admit I was surprised by some of the seeding (votes from the entry round). But I was the only who voted for Sultan (didn't make the tournament since he had only one vote.  I suspect many feel he is a Lou Fine hack (who is tops for me).  Maybe because Sultan gave me Fine-type art but he was a damned good artist.  And given, only 51 boardies voted in the entry round, it is a limited sampling.

I hope people are finding it both fun and diversionary. 

Thanks for doing this.  A fun little exercise when life isn't normal.

Votes for round 2 officially in! Just for grins, here's the half-time show ...

image.jpg1_zpsxxoqrrzw.jpg

Memory lane classic: Shooting hoops at SDCC with incredible zone defense coverage.

FTR, I made this shot with a technique called the ironic twist, crime scene tape adding a perfect touch. :blush:

I closed the first round down but we do have an overtime game - Everett Raymond Kinstler vs. Maurice Whitman ended regulation with a 19-19 tie.  Please vote on the overtime game with the link below. Voting ends by noon tomorrow and we will start the second round for all games.

No real surprises in the first round - one lower seed won the first round but I am not sure I would call it an upset.  Winsor McKay went in the first round with five entry votes and was pitted against Charles Biro who had four entry votes.  Biro won 21-18.  Lily Renee moved on as the only woman in the tournament (Tarpe Mills vied to be in the tournament but did not receive enough votes).  Renee defeated Steve Ditko 23-16.

Link to Overtime Game -- https://s.surveyplanet.com/1TixpEbaJ

Bracket Update

Link to view/download high resolution bracket - https://photos.app.goo.gl/fGk9vkLir2oN7wqf6

1489161827_march-madness-bracket-page-001(1).thumb.jpg.b95d8e8080fa4c8e99ebfd308bc6e665.jpg

Edited by telerites

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

Only one upset, and it was a 14 over a 3!  With the possibility of one more. Did Lee O'Mealia forfeit out?

Oops, thanks Tim.  It was 26-13.  I updated the bracket.

On 5/3/2020 at 3:58 PM, telerites said:

I tried to think of something fun to name the regionals but apparently using genres was not the best idea.

I vote that it was a great idea.

On 5/3/2020 at 4:15 PM, sfcityduck said:

These brackets made me sad.  Barks v. Kurtzman and  Foster v. Toth?  Those are four of the top ten (maybe 20 at most) comic book/strip artists of all time!

One of those match-ups is going to bust my bracket.

Last call to vote in the Kinstler v. Whitman overtime game although from the look of it, Whitman has an insurmountable lead.  Game ends in just over four hours and then we are on to the second round and the road to the Sweet Sixteen.

Some great games in the second round.  I'll post them and put the games up right after the OT game ends. 

3 hours ago, telerites said:

Last call to vote in the Kinstler v. Whitman overtime game although from the look of it, Whitman has an insurmountable lead.  Game ends in just over four hours and then we are on to the second round and the road to the Sweet Sixteen.

Some great games in the second round.  I'll post them and put the games up right after the OT game ends. 

That Whitman is a beast on the boards!

Edited by MrBedrock

1 minute ago, MrBedrock said:

That Whitman is a beast on the boards!

Yeah, I picked Kinstler.  I thought his zone defense would shut down Whitman's offense.  I've said before, if anyone wants to make money -- always bet the opposite of what I bet.