• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

​​​​​​​WE HAVE A WINNER - SEE FIRST POST - GA Artist May Madness
8 8

326 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, telerites said:

You know the more I think about the original slate of artists, I keep coming up with others that I left off.  I see a cover or a splash page or read a story - artists that I enjoy like Charles Quinlan, Al Camy, Vincent Alascia, Norman Saunders, and so many more.  I wish more people realized how many great artists worked in the field then and got paid a pittance who so much hard and high quality work.

Do another contest after this one.  The best of the artists you missed....

15 hours ago, kav said:

dont care for jack davis but dont like funny animals so voted for davis.

I didn't think it was possible to get so much wrong in so few words. But here we are.

16 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Some were easier though. Barks had weaker competition.

Btw, Cole > Raboy and Eisner > Raymond.

16 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Ohhh, I thought there were a few tougher choices...Eisner v. Raymond and Cole v. Raboy to name two.

The results should be interesting.

Those two were tough for me as well, but I voted for Raboy over Cole. I did vote for Eisner over Raymond, but only because I think of Eisner as more of a comic book artist and Raymond as more of a strip artist. I can't say I like Eisner's art better.

-

Whitman versus Fine was tough for me, too, but I voted for Whitman.

-

The most painful choice for me was Ingels versus Everett. I voted for Ingels, but I would have loved to see Everett go farther.

Edited by jimbo_7071

2 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Whitman versus Fine was tough for me, too, but I voted for Whitman.

Blasphemer :baiting:

2 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

The most painful choice for me was Ingels versus Everett.

Yeah, that was a tough for me as well.

17 hours ago, Yorick said:

I cannot believe O'Mealia and Flanagan are out.  This is just wrong... :facepalm:  I thought this was about the ART?!  I guess neither would have made the top of the list anyway.  :sorry:

Those two’s reputations rest on a very small body of covers as their interiors are not special.  They have done covers that might win a 1930s best cover contest, but they are pretty close to one hit wonders compared to most guys on the list.

This contest is making me realize that there are some pretty obvious categories of artists, and it might have made more sense to have bracketed artists by category.  The four categories that make the most sense to me are:

Primarily cover artists:  Folks like LB Cole, Alex S, Flanagan, O’Mealia, etc.

Storytellers: Barks, Krigstein, Kurtzman, Eisner, etc.

Strip artists: Foster, Raymond, McCay, Sickles/Caniff, etc.

Superhero artists: Shuster, Ray, Moldoff, Beck, Fine, Burgos, etc.

Obviously, a lot of overlap and many other possible categories. I think it would be interesting to get a final four that pitted the best cover artist vs. best storyteller vs. best strip artist vs. superhero artist.  But it would be most informative to know how folks voted for the finalists in each of those categories.

For storytellers, how do you rank Barks, Eisner, Kurtzman and Krigstein (my final four for that category)?

Edited by sfcityduck

I'm enjoying telerites game immensely.  What a great idea.  It has given way to considering how this could even be ramped up for a sporting event that's even more competitive next year, perhaps even stretching the games out over a month.  Maybe we can call it March Mayhem!

Now hear me out on this and see what you think.  

We get eight volunteer coaches: 2 for GA , Atomic/Pre-code ('38 - '55), 2 for SA to Modern ('55 on), 2 for pulp/digest/PB cover art and finally 2 for historic newspaper strips.  In the case of cross-overs, artists would be classified by their best known work and era of prominence, perhaps we could have a pre-tournement run-off to determine an artist's official placement if it's debatable (for instance, to avoid the possibility of having a GA Jack Kirby competing in the quarter finals with a SA Jack Kirby).  

Each coach would be responsible for selecting and organizing their best eight players to compete in their respective "regions" with the other coach's picks in their own quarter of the roster (4 regions, 64 players total).  Coaches choose match-ups in each quarter section of the roster by alternating draft picks and strategic placements.

During the fan voting process, in the case of tie-votes, there'll be a one day wild-card play-off between the two contenders.

Once the roster is full, the game is opened to ballot casting.  Basically coaches lobby votes for their players by providing choice images of artists work competing in that section of the draw.   

When voting gets to the final four, it will have one representative from each of the respective genres left and only four of the eight coaches will remain to sell their player's best artistic attributes.  The contest would run one month 64 > 32 > 16 > 8.  Then in the last week were down to the quarter finals with four coaches, semis with two and the finals over the last days.  

Obviously, I'm game-on to volunteer as one of the two GA coaches.  Now you can tell me how truly mad is this idea!  lol

Half time scores and the bracket showing Whitman's OT victory since the earlier didn't show it.  

Also link to view high res or download the bracket if you're really bored - https://photos.app.goo.gl/wpcvsCcM1F3rtp8L9

And so I don't have to cross between two threads, shout out to the following who posted in General so all are updated.

@kav @aardvark88 @Ryan. @Ken Aldred @shadroch @exitmusicblue

Half Time Scores

march-madness-bracket-page-014.thumb.jpg.d305c4f8d64e089320e21946747aa8aa.jpg

Bracket

march-madness-bracket-page-001.thumb.jpg.c37f9887589b5f6027c48e68707dc4f4.jpg

Edited by telerites

30 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I'm enjoying telerites game immensely.  What a great idea.  It has given way to considering how this could even be ramped up for a sporting event that's even more competitive next year, perhaps even stretching the games out over a month.  Maybe we can call it March Mayhem!

Now hear me out on this and see what you think.  

We get eight volunteer coaches: 2 for GA , Atomic/Pre-code ('38 - '55), 2 for SA to Modern ('55 on), 2 for pulp/digest/PB cover art and finally 2 for historic newspaper strips.  In the case of cross-overs, artists would be classified by their best known work and era of prominence, perhaps we could have a pre-tournement run-off to determine an artist's official placement if it's debatable (for instance, to avoid the possibility of having a GA Jack Kirby competing in the quarter finals with a SA Jack Kirby).  

Each coach would be responsible for selecting and organizing their best eight players to compete in their respective "regions" with the other coach's picks in their own quarter of the roster (4 regions, 64 players total).  Coaches choose match-ups in each quarter section of the roster by alternating draft picks and strategic placements.

During the fan voting process, in the case of tie-votes, there'll be a one day wild-card play-off between the two contenders.

Once the roster is full, the game is opened to ballot casting.  Basically coaches lobby votes for their players by providing choice images of artists work competing in that section of the draw.   

When voting gets to the final four, it will have one representative from each of the respective genres left and only four of the eight coaches will remain to sell their player's best artistic attributes.  The contest would run one month 64 > 32 > 16 > 8.  Then in the last week were down to the quarter finals with four coaches, semis with two and the finals over the last days.  

Obviously, I'm game-on to volunteer as one of the two GA coaches.  Now you can tell me how truly mad is this idea!  lol

Great idea!  Because I like a rigged game, I'll volunteer for being one of the newspaper coaches.  If it is based on artistic skill and talent, then it is almost unfair to the other teams when you can field a line-up of Hal Foster (Co-best illustrator of all time), Winsor McCay (Co-best and decades ahead of his time animator), Alex Raymond (his first style inspired the GA comic artists and his second inspired Adams etc.), Milt Caniff and Noel Sickles (pioneered the heavy black style that influenced Toth etc.), Bill Waterson (maybe the perfect comic strip), Charles Shulz (the modern comic strip that influenced all others), Al Williamson (the greatest modern adventure strip artist (Star Wars, X-9, etc.), and how about Will Eisner (Spirit was a newspaper strip)?.  After all, the comic book artists all wished they were strip artists and idolized these guys.