• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

​​​​​​​WE HAVE A WINNER - SEE FIRST POST - GA Artist May Madness
8 8

326 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

My choices...

Frazetta

Everett

Wood

Schomburg

I had the same picks. 

Tough match up for Cole. I personally would have picked him over the other finalist. 

While I appreciate Baker and Barks, I never collected them, so it was hard to advance them to the final four.  But I know allot of people here feel strongly about them.  

I went with Frazetta over Baker, but it was a very very hard choice.  Ultimately, I voted Frazetta because I remember how blown away I was when I was reading my Dad's old Adventure Comics in the late 1970s and came across Frazetta's Shining Knight.  I then noticed other Frazetta stories that really blew me away in other comics from my Dad's collection.  It was not Frazetta's covers that won me over, but his interiors.

I voted Schomburg over Cole, but it was an easier choice than I thought it would be.  Schomburg is, to me, the ultimate cover artists.  His Timely covers are the best.

I voted Everett over Fine.  Everett was a GREAT cover and interior artists for the entire length of the Golden Age (30s to 50s), and he did so many classic covers and stories - I am now re-evaluating his place in the pantheon of all time comic greats.  I think he might well deserve to win this competition.  From his Centaur covers with their early GA style, to his classic Subby work, to his ultra-realistic Atlas covers, he is a true master of many hats.  I'm increasingly thinking he has a very strong case for the best GA artist of all time.

I voted Barks over Wood. It too was a very hard choice. For me Barks is a top, maybe the top, GA storyteller, but he's a one genre artist.  And really, his reputation is based on Donald.  That's good enough to get you into the top 10, but the top 4?  The thing is, though, Wood is not even close to a top four artist for me. I don't think his output is as good as Frazetta and Williams and Giunta and Foster (but no one is as good as Foster).  I don't think he should have gotten this far and would lost out Baker.  So I'm taking the best funny animal artist of all time over a guy who is not, in my mind, the top tier SF/Fantasy artist. 

14 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I voted Barks over Wood. It too was a very hard choice. For me Barks is a top, maybe the top, GA storyteller, but he's a one genre artist.  And really, his reputation is based on Donald.  That's good enough to get you into the top 10, but the top 4?  The thing is, though, Wood is not even close to a top four artist for me. I don't think his output is as good as Frazetta and Williams and Giunta and Foster (but no one is as good as Foster).  I don't think he should have gotten this far and would lost out Baker.  So I'm taking the best funny animal artist of all time over a guy who is not, in my mind, the top tier SF/Fantasy artist. 

Wood is not in my top tier either.  I enjoy his art but there are several others well above him.  I actually preferred and voted for his opponent in every round.

The hardest for me was Schomburg vs Cole.  A total toss-up and voted for Cole based solely on the fact that I met him and remember how kind he was to me.  I think that regional was the toughest with Raboy, Eisner, and Raymond.

Frazetta and Fine were my other two.

Done! My final four picks didn’t stray much from the consensus, ...maybe one (we’ll see), but the decisions were pretty easy when the quality of work was weighed against the artists’ legacies.  Judging semi-finalists and finalists will probably be a bit tougher.  

Easy prediction: I’ll wager quite a few prime examples of artist’s best work will pop-up in telerites’s thread as squeaky-bum time approaches.  Never underestimate lobbying.  lol

2 hours ago, telerites said:

The hardest for me was Schomburg vs Cole.

Agreed. So much so I ended up not voting in protest. They should not even be here at this stage :sumo:

51 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Done! My final four picks didn’t stray much from the consensus, ...maybe one (we’ll see), but the decisions were pretty easy when the quality of work was weighed against the artists’ legacies.  Judging semi-finalists and finalists will probably be a bit tougher.  

Easy prediction: I’ll wager quite a few prime examples of artist’s best work will pop-up in telerites’s thread as squeaky-bum time approaches.  Never underestimate lobbying.  lol

If only real politics were as fun as this!

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I would love it.  Fans should bring their signs and chants (i.e. artwork) to root on their favorite teams.  :whee:

Edited by telerites