• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

​​​​​​​WE HAVE A WINNER - SEE FIRST POST - GA Artist May Madness
8 8

326 posts in this topic

A couple of tough ones here. Frazetta v Baker is perhaps the hardest but Baker's GGA won out for me. Wood v Barks was personally difficult since they are probably my two favourites. But Wood's art, as beautiful as much of it is, is a bit wooden (Wooden?) and Barks' ability to convey mood was second to none. Barks it is. I don't have Fine in my collection and very little Everett. But if I had to buy one tomorrow it would be a classic Fine. The last one was the easiest. Cole made great use of his colour palette but wasn't half the draftsman that Xela was.

10 hours ago, telerites said:

I would love it.  Fans should bring their signs and chants (i.e. artwork) to root on their favorite teams.  :whee:

This Timely CBR article my buddy Bob Wayne just sent me is about as close to putting a thumb on the scales as I'll get tonight... (thumbsu

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-alex-schomburg-greatest-comic-book-covers/

The next round I'll bring my own signs, chants and brews... 

:tink:

Any one interested in half time scores can see them in the spoiler...

One is a travesty in my completely biased opinion. 146-1463048_devil-emojis-imessage-for-ios-devil-doubt.png

Spoiler

Frazetta 36 -- Baker 20

Fine 17 -- Everett 38

Wood 32 -- Barks 23

Schomburg 38 -- Cole 16

8 minutes ago, telerites said:

Any one interested in half time scores can see them in the spoiler...

One is a travesty in my completely biased opinion. 146-1463048_devil-emojis-imessage-for-ios-devil-doubt.png

Hide contents

Frazetta 36 -- Baker 20

Fine 17 -- Everett 38

Wood 32 -- Barks 23

Schomburg 38 -- Cole 16

I voted for Fine and Cole. Oh well...

I have over 400 LB Cole covers, I had to vote for him.  He's the reason I collect GA books.  I can admit that Schomberg was doing more popular stuff and did a TON of great work, but I went with my heart on that one.  Plus I had a feeling that Cole would lose and I HAD to have said I voted for him.  If Xela wins, I'm ok with it - god knows I wish I had more of his stuff, but I just flat out enjoy Cole more.  

10 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

i am not shocked by any of those half-time scores and I can't claim any of the results are a "travesty."  

All of the leading artists did good work and have their fan bases.

I did say I was biased and just my opinion but I respect your opinion as well.  I do like the other artists, btw.

Should be a great Final Four.  Thanks for playing.

Edited by telerites

I'm happily surprised that Everett has had such a strong showing throughout. 

Maybe it was my own perception,  but I always felt like he took a back seat to the other big names from that era.  

I've always been a huge fan of his Atlas work!  He did many of my favourite covers to come out of the 50s. 

7 minutes ago, telerites said:

I did say I was biased and just my opinion but I respect your opinion as well.  I do like the other artists, btw.

Should be a great Final Four.  Thanks for playing.

It is fine to have biases. My personal final four didn't all make the final 8 we have to choose from. Lots of disappointing results and over early matchups to get what I wanted.

But, I have really enjoyed the process and it is has caused me to re-think the place in the GA pantheon of some of these artists.  If the results hold up, I'm going to pushing one of these artists just because I think he has been hugely underrated - at least by me.

1 hour ago, pmpknface said:

I have over 400 LB Cole covers, I had to vote for him.  He's the reason I collect GA books.  I can admit that Schomberg was doing more popular stuff and did a TON of great work, but I went with my heart on that one.  Plus I had a feeling that Cole would lose and I HAD to have said I voted for him.  If Xela wins, I'm ok with it - god knows I wish I had more of his stuff, but I just flat out enjoy Cole more.  

yep.  Schomburg covers are just too darn busy for me...

4 hours ago, piper said:

yep.  Schomburg covers are just too darn busy for me...

Similar opinions have been expressed about LB Cole covers.  Both artists produced covers that some might describe as too busy, but they also created many covers that perfectly balanced action with the center of interest.  Stylistically, the artists are vastly different.  LB Cole is more of a stark contrast illustrator.  His technique reminds me of wood-block prints where open areas are cut away and everything else inked.

From an artist’s POV, the medium usually dictates the ultimate composition.  Some Schomburg post-war airbrushed covers ...under Xela, a reversal of his first name... are exactly the opposite of busy, ...simplified to the point of minimalist detail and background, And yet, there are classic examples of Alex’s airbrush work in comics that stand out as memorably as his penciled and inked compositions.  

Very few illustrators in the field of comics ...Graham Ingles among the notable exceptions... worked with airbrush.  The reason?  Probably because the multi-step process involved pushed turnaround time on deadlines.

Edited by Cat-Man_America

Well folks, it looks like we got spammed again in all of the regionals.  Within a short time period in the waning hour of close, multiple responses from France, Germany, Netherlands, Finland, Austria, and more plus multiple hits from one location in the US.  When I checked a little over an hour ago, all of the regionals had roughly 60 votes.  In a short amount of time, 30 votes hit three of the regionals and 60 votes hit another.  The results changed in a few from when I looked at them earlier.

Kind of lost its luster and fun for me.

@kav @aardvark88 @Ryan. @Ken Aldred @shadroch @exitmusicblue

Below are the results as it sits:

Cole 80 -- Schomburg 40

Frazetta 70 -- Baker 22

Wood 65 -- Barks 26

Everett 72 -- Fine 19

Below are the links to vote in the Final Four:

Everett vs. Wood - https://s.surveyplanet.com/UmJh41sWL

Cole vs. Frazetta - https://s.surveyplanet.com/tR5VA7smC

How about ending the vote for these tomorrow at noon CST.  

Edited by telerites

4 minutes ago, telerites said:

Well folks, it looks like we got spammed again in all of the regionals.  Within a short time period in the waning hour of close, multiple responses from France, Germany, Netherlands, Finland, Austria, and more plus multiple hits from one location in the US.  When I checked a little over an hour ago, all of the regionals had roughly 60 votes.  In a short amount of time, 30 votes hit three of the regionals and 60 votes hit another.  The results changed in a few from when I looked at them earlier.

Kind of lost its luster and fun for me.

@kav @aardvark88 @Ryan. @Ken Aldred @shadroch @exitmusicblue

Below are the results as it sits:

Cole 80 -- Schomburg 40

Frazetta 70 -- Baker 22

Wood 65 -- Barks 26

Everett 72 -- Fine 19

Below are the links to vote in the Final Four:

Everett vs. Wood - https://s.surveyplanet.com/UmJh41sWL

Cole vs. Frazetta - https://s.surveyplanet.com/tR5VA7smC

How about ending the vote for these tomorrow at noon CST.  

whatever boardie is doing this you sir need to get a life.

Quite a pathetic thing to do.

A very interesting contest, and sorry it got interfered with this way, Jeff.  :frown:

Edited by Ken Aldred