• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

​​​​​​​WE HAVE A WINNER - SEE FIRST POST - GA Artist May Madness
8 8

326 posts in this topic

Given that the game was obviously hacked, pursuing it to conclusion with the current system in place would be unacceptable.  

There may be a solution, but it would require dropping all the hacked votes, perhaps going with the half-time numbers and then pursue the semis and finals with some other type of poll.  

Any interest or has all the air been sucked outta the ball? (shrug)

Edited by Cat-Man_America

If need be, we could do a re-vote @telerites!  And revote every time the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons spam.  Twits.  And/or maybe deduct those votes as needed, manually.

Or just declare a vote null and void and leave it at that, you shouldn't need to do extra work.

Edited by exitmusicblue

wait, what am I missing.  did the books get cooked?

Oh, I see it now.  That's quite a turnaround from the preliminary results.  I guess we can just look for our suspects in the fanbase for those artists with the most dramatic turnaround.

This has sort of wrecked the fun for me now, too

i have a message for the parties responsible: 

E4ACB969-98FA-47E7-B077-F38D6A5C352B.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Well folks, it looks like we got spammed again in all of the regionals.  Within a short time period in the waning hour of close, multiple responses from France, Germany, Netherlands, Finland, Austria, and more plus multiple hits from one location in the US.  When I checked a little over an hour ago, all of the regionals had roughly 60 votes.  In a short amount of time, 30 votes hit three of the regionals and 60 votes hit another.  The results changed in a few from when I looked at them earlier.

Kind of lost its luster and fun for me.

@kav @aardvark88 @Ryan. @Ken Aldred @shadroch @exitmusicblue

Below are the results as it sits:

Cole 80 -- Schomburg 40

Frazetta 70 -- Baker 22

Wood 65 -- Barks 26

Everett 72 -- Fine 19

Below are the links to vote in the Final Four:

Everett vs. Wood - https://s.surveyplanet.com/UmJh41sWL

Cole vs. Frazetta - https://s.surveyplanet.com/tR5VA7smC

How about ending the vote for these tomorrow at noon CST.  

There is no God :cry:

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

There may be a solution, but it would require dropping all the votes before the hack, perhaps going with the half-time numbers 

It is an easy solution. Revert to the half-time scores.  The only impact is that Schmburg wins and Cole loses.  And then, everyone votes by putting up a post on this site with their two selections.  If its too much for telerites, several of us can count up the votes.  

9 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

It is an easy solution. Revert to the half-time scores.  The only impact is that Schomburg wins and Cole loses.  And then, everyone votes by putting up a post on this site with their two selections.  If its too much for telerites, several of us can count up the votes.  

Other than misspelling Schomburg I agree with everything @sfcityduck says.  Take it from halftime scores and have a public vote here.

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

I agree - go with the half time score. 

:idea:  I disagree since I have a much better idea - go with only MY SCORE since it's rather obvious to me that eveybody else's is totally messed up.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

:idea:  I disagree since I have a much better idea - go with only MY SCORE since it's rather obvious to me that eveybody else's is totally messed up.  lol

I'm guessing Lou Fine went allot further in your bracket? 

Just a guess! 

3 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I'm guessing Lou Fine went allot further in your bracket? 

Just a guess! 

Never heard of the guy in MY LIFE!!!  lol

Sounds like a guaranteed loser of a name to me though.  :wink:

Edited by lou_fine

15 hours ago, piper said:

yep.  Schomburg covers are just too darn busy for me...

11 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Similar opinions have been expressed about LB Cole covers.  Both artists produced covers that some might describe as too busy, but they also created many covers that perfectly balanced action with the center of interest.  Stylistically, the artists are vastly different.  LB Cole is more of a stark contrast illustrator.  His technique reminds me of wood-block prints where open areas are cut away and everything else inked.

From an artist’s POV, the medium usually dictates the ultimate composition.  Some Schomburg post-war airbrushed covers ...under Xela, a reversal of his first name... are exactly the opposite of busy, ...simplified to the point of minimalist detail and background, And yet, there are classic examples of Alex’s airbrush work in comics that stand out as memorably as his penciled and inked compositions.  

Very few illustrators in the field of comics ...Graham Ingles among the notable exceptions... worked with airbrush.  The reason?  Probably because the multi-step process involved pushed turnaround time on deadlines.

Graham Ingels is my favorite horror cover artist, but he didn't make it past Everett (who is probably my second favorite).

-

I'm a Schomburg fan mainly because of his early covers for Timely. I like some of his later Timely covers, but they were a little too noisy and a little too cartoonish. Many of the Marvel Mysteries start to look the same after a while. Schomburg's non-airbrushed Better/Nedor covers were very bland; I assume that they were just potboilers that he did quickly for extra money. His airbrushed covers are growing on me.

-

L. B. Cole produced some of my favorite covers of the Golden Age, but many of his covers are lackluster, and he didn't seem to be very good at drawing human faces.

-

I didn't have a chance to vote before the contest was hacked. It would have been a very close call, but I suppose I would have had to vote for Schomburg on the strength of his early Timely covers.

11 hours ago, telerites said:

Well folks, it looks like we got spammed again in all of the regionals.  Within a short time period in the waning hour of close, multiple responses from France, Germany, Netherlands, Finland, Austria, and more plus multiple hits from one location in the US.  When I checked a little over an hour ago, all of the regionals had roughly 60 votes.  In a short amount of time, 30 votes hit three of the regionals and 60 votes hit another.  The results changed in a few from when I looked at them earlier.

Kind of lost its luster and fun for me.

I bought those results fair and square.  :sumo:

Sorry guys.  I am just logging on.  

I screwed up one of the surveys.  I had created them based on the late game scores before the suspicious activity so the heading shows Schomburg although Cole is in the game.  

How about we do this - let this run out since it ends in a couple of hours.  The only game that changed as a result of the intervention was Schomburg vs. Cole.

I can run that one and end it tomorrow morning and start the Championship game right after.

Let me know if that is preferred. 

I did create the following color analysis but was so disenchanted and disengaged after seeing what happened, I did not post.  I doubt anyone enjoys these so I put in a spoiler and you can bypass if you like.

Spoiler

Alex Schomburg vs. Frank Frazetta

These artists have some history as Xela’s cover adorned later issues of some titles from Nedor Publications while Frazetta did some artwork in those issues.  Both enter the Final Four with dominant performances in their previous matches.  Schomburg brings an endless cornicopia of deft and highly skilled offensive and defensive schemes; while, Frazetta’s shows an agility to overwhelm opponents with pure talent.

Bill Everett vs. Wally Wood

Everett enters the Final Four as a number six seed and the only participant who is not a number one seed.  He easily defeated number one seed Lou Fine and has cake walked through all of his games.  He now faces stiff competition in Wally Wood.  Wood has not been challenged in his previous games.  An intriguing match-up that should not disappoint.  

17 hours ago, batman_fan said:

There is no God :cry:

That was really the one that surprised - even before the hack, Fine was well behind.  Everett is great but Fine's covers, specifically Fantastic #3 and National #7 drew me to the GA.  I doubt I will own the Fantastic but do have a National 7.

19 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Any interest or has all the air been sucked outta the ball? (shrug)

Are you suggesting another deflategate - I thought Brady went the Bucs, but now that I think about it, there was a player who did look suspiciously like him on the floor. hm

Edited by telerites