• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm pretty surey book was messed up at CGC. Where to go from here?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I've been waiting on this book since last year. It was my first submission with pressing and grading and I didn't know any better about fast track or CCS turnaround time.

I just got it in Friday and it comes back a 9.6. Of course no grader notes. 

Iturn it around to look at the back and I see a nice dimple underneath the hard plastic. It looks like someone dropped a sharp point on the inner plastic and dented it, as well as the book. I was going to try to sell this, but now I really don't want to with knowing that's on the back

What options do I have? I'm sure there's really no chance for 9.8 now.

IMG_20200502_120354~2.jpg

IMG_20200502_120354.jpg

I would send an email to CGC customer service explaining your situation.  If you are certain that the dimple shows up on both the inner case and the comic, that certainly is on CGC.  Don't forget, your comics are insured while they are at CGC.  I would think they could crack it out, possibly press the dimple out, regrade it.  Probably still get a 9.6 if no other factors.  Might get a 9.8 if the pressing took out factors that caused the grade drop.  Or compensate you monetarily.

If they determine that the dimple is on the inner holder only, comic not affected, they will probably re-holder it for you for free.  They did give you a less-than-perfect inner holder.  If the dimple you see is on the comic only, could have been that way when they got it, even from shipment damage.  And maybe that's why it's a 9.6.

I have found customer service to be very helpful, even in a similar situation as this.  You have a strong case that something went wrong on their end.  I'd pursue it.  You have nothing to lose but a bit of time.

28 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

I would send an email to CGC customer service explaining your situation.  If you are certain that the dimple shows up on both the inner case and the comic, that certainly is on CGC.  Don't forget, your comics are insured while they are at CGC.  I would think they could crack it out, possibly press the dimple out, regrade it.  Probably still get a 9.6 if no other factors.  Might get a 9.8 if the pressing took out factors that caused the grade drop.  Or compensate you monetarily.

If they determine that the dimple is on the inner holder only, comic not affected, they will probably re-holder it for you for free.  They did give you a less-than-perfect inner holder.  If the dimple you see is on the comic only, could have been that way when they got it, even from shipment damage.  And maybe that's why it's a 9.6.

I have found customer service to be very helpful, even in a similar situation as this.  You have a strong case that something went wrong on their end.  I'd pursue it.  You have nothing to lose but a bit of time.

Thank you. I'll send an email on Monday.

9 minutes ago, kav said:

omg clean/cut your fingernails thats the first thing a woman looks at-a man's hands.  just some advice.

I took this while in the middle of planting 5 rows of vegetables in the garden today. It was a spur of the moment thought to get good pic in sunlight. Thanks for the advice though.

9 minutes ago, wombat said:

Do you have pictures of the book before sending in that don't show the dimple?

Unfortunately I don't.

1 minute ago, dshre00 said:

I took this while in the middle of planting 5 rows of vegetables in the garden today. It was a spur of the moment thought to get good pic in sunlight. Thanks for the advice though.

haha omg now I feel dumb.
some women told me that long ago and I confirmed it with every other women-they look at the hands first.  

21 minutes ago, kav said:

omg clean/cut your fingernails thats the first thing a woman looks at-a man's hands.  just some advice.

Why did you assume it was a man?  That would have been even MORE awkward if it wasn't.

33 minutes ago, dshre00 said:

Unfortunately I don't.

:ohnoez: