• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do with an autograph by Stan Lee on Spider-Man 2099 #1 with no authentication paper?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I got this signed by Stan Lee when I was a kid at a signing event but have no authentication. Is it worth sending to autograph COA? I don't see that CGC has a service for this.

Thanks,

-David

IMG_9657.jpg

There are thousands (perhaps ten thousands) of Stan Lee autographs which were witnessed and certified by CGC, so the value of yours is different.  Your book's value is primarily in your meeting Stan Lee.  That memory doesn't pass along to the next person if you sell.  There is value in an unwitnessed Stan Lee signature, but it's not a high demand item.  It's not possible put a price on "meeting Stan Lee and making a memory", so I guarantee that you keeping the book is worth more than trying to sell something (the memory) that can't be sold.

Edited by valiantman

On 5/4/2020 at 10:24 AM, valiantman said:

There are thousands (perhaps ten thousands) of Stan Lee autographs which were witnessed and certified by CGC, so the value of yours is different.  Your book's value is primarily in your meeting Stan Lee.  That memory doesn't pass along to the next person if you sell.  There is value in an unwitnessed Stan Lee signature, but it's not a high demand item.  It's not possible put a price on "meeting Stan Lee and making a memory", so I guarantee that you keeping the book is worth more than trying to sell something (the memory) that can't be sold.

On 5/4/2020 at 2:31 PM, Lightning55 said:

There is no service for unwitnessed signature comics.  If you submit it for grading, it will likely get a Qualified Label, with the notation of "writing on the cover".  CGC will not recognize it as a signed comic, as it was not witnessed.

On 5/4/2020 at 3:35 PM, IkewithMike said:

I'll be the jerk here and say, file it under G for Garbage 

What about using a service like James Spence Authentication? Don't matter?

Edited by DMJWolverine

Folks may believe you. Tell your story. If you aren't selling 300 other "signed" dollar box books you don't look like a fake. The other companies sell a service too. It seems like a b.s, "after the fact" authentication, but whatever.

On 5/6/2020 at 6:08 PM, DMJWolverine said:

What about using a service like James Spence Authentication? Don't matter?

CGC must witness a book being signed.  There is a comic grading company that uses signature experts to verify sigs rather than witness signings.