• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, Why Has AF #15 Continued to increase In Value?

49 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I’m extremely perplexed by this sale 😮. You can get like a 6.0-6.5 for that amount of money. Makes no sense, even with great eye appeal, the Stan sig on the splash page and no chipping 🤔.

Very rich person maybe, at home in lockdown, bored and reliving their youth? 

I mentioned this to my wife last night when we were discussing the sale....tax evasion.  As laughable as that is, someone could wrap all their dough in some comics, throw it in a lockbox and suddenly their income is less.  I'm no accountant, it was just a random thought.  I'm drawing at straws to try and explain it (shrug)

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

Wasn't there a thread about AF15 decreasing in value?  And now there's one about it increasing in value?  Sounds like we need to make a thread about maintaining its value. lol

That AF15 4.5 sale makes absolutely no sense.  If the value was even in the sig (which still is too high) then couldn't you just buy another 4.5, throw your own forged signature on it and then resubmit to CGC again?  A buyer/seller agreement or same person who is trying to raise GPA and then sell their 50 copies of AF15?  (shrug)

467a6b0b4547e3d5684ef9a0b9e06cc0.gif

15 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Same here rather own a PSA 4 or PSA 5 with nice eye appeal than a PSA 8 that makes no sens or worse PSA 9 say in T206. No way a 112 year old card is a PSA 9.

Yea same here.. But beware of fake Jordan cards and/or fake PSA slabs too!  Also PSA and BGS are unable to detect any micro trimming.  This is what's driving me away from higher end cards.

Same here rather own a PSA 4 or PSA 5 with nice eye appeal than a PSA 8 that makes no sens or worse PSA 9 say in T206. No way a 112 year old card is a PSA 9.

Pick up this book if you can, such a fascinating read- finished it 2 weeks ago:

https://www.amazon.com/Card-Collectors-Historys-Desired-Baseball/dp/0061123935

Edited by fishbone

On 5/3/2020 at 5:20 PM, peewee22 said:

Love the thread name. Offsets the "drop in value" thread. :roflmao:

As a long term Spidey bull obviously  this thread will one day have more posts.

1 hour ago, Lethal_Collector said:

.tax evasion

What you describe I don’t think is tax evasion, perhaps tax avoidance. 

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

As a long term Spidey bull obviously  this thread will one day have more posts.

What you describe I don’t think is tax evasion, perhaps tax avoidance. 

more possible "money laundering" than anything else. Or maybe the dude just really wanted to win the auction so he put in a crazy maximum bid and someone pushed him to the limit :insane:

Man, more than double the going rate for a 4.5, that is nuts ! 

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

The Little Rascals was sooooo good. Just quality all around. For many years I lived in the Silverlake/Echo Park area that surrounds the old Max Sennet Stage where the film int. and ext. around Echo Park and you can still see a hill or two from this episode or that episode. Man they were so good

4 hours ago, Lethal_Collector said:

Did the buy pay the 66k?  Any way to see 2nd place bid?

Jerome

i dont know the answer, but i did ask my contact at heritage if he had any more info about this sale and what happened. what he said was the following:

"Alex, no “asterisks” here, just a straightforward auction sale. We actually had a number of lots sell for double (or more) what people were expecting, which is always nice!"

so, for what that's worth, it appears to be a real sale. of course heritage could still be pulling some shenanigans. but as far as we are all concerned, it is apparently a real sale, which suggests that the buyer paid, or else they are putting one over on us. 

It's hard to gauge the gpa just by looking at the numbers because of copies with marvel chipping and copies without it, unless you look at each book.  What do you think the price reduction is overall for a copy with marvel chipping as opposed to one without in the same grade and overall appearance?

On 5/6/2020 at 3:19 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

so, for what that's worth, it appears to be a real sale. of course heritage could still be pulling some shenanigans. but as far as we are all concerned, it is apparently a real sale, which suggests that the buyer paid, or else they are putting one over on us. 

Can they really say anything else as to the point that it is not a real sale, even though the buyer may still have not yet paid for it to this point in time.  (shrug)

Sounds as though you are starting to lean to my way of thinking from a post which I had made in another thread the other week about this "totally unbelievable" auction result, when there are either equivalent graded copies available at substantially lower price points or significantly higher graded copies available at the same price point:  

On 5/3/2020 at 3:09 PM, lou_fine said:

Who really knows and is it possible that Steve and Jim simply got their wires crossed and thought that each of them alone was supposed to be shill bidding on the book and did not realize that the other one was also mistakenly shill bidding the book at the same time.  :devil:

By the time they realized what was happening, it was already too late as it was at the $66K price point with the juice built in there.  doh!  lol

Edited by lou_fine

11 hours ago, silverweb said:

That 4.5 looks very good for the grade, but I tend to question the value of a Stan Lee sig that you can't see?  (shrug)

i also don't really think this is a legit sale. but i will say i'd much rather have a sig on page one than on the cover. and i know many collectors who feel the same way. 

4 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i also don't really think this is a legit sale. but i will say i'd much rather have a sig on page one than on the cover. and i know many collectors who feel the same way. 

Not to mention that this is a book where a stan sig makes sense, unlike 95% of the other ones out there.