• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, Why Has AF #15 Continued to increase In Value?

49 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

If ten year old me had brains, he would have convinced his Dad to help him drop $5-7K on a decent copy back in the 90's. 

I love your avatar. My fave pic of the webslinger. :x

5 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

If ten year old me had brains, he would have convinced his Dad to help him drop $5-7K on a decent copy back in the 90's. 

I wonder what kind of grade you would be looking at for $5K-$7K in the 90's. I presume a pretty nice copy, maybe around a 6.0-7.0 hm

12 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

I remember seen one at a local shop raw on the wall asking price 8k looked like a 6.0 to 7.0 told myself nah I will get one in a few years (purchased one about 10 years later) and I did but no where near 8k. So many mistakes I could literally cry. I have seen so many books so so cheap over my decades of collecting it's insane. That goes for sports cards as well. I think back when I started collecting cards a T206 Wagner was about 90k in mid grade. Now worth millions. I did not have 90k so that one hurts less.

Jordan's rookie card has been the AF15 of cards.  A super important piece to collectors, but still somewhat affordable depending on the grade.

Jerome

I think his 86 Fleer card is overvalued, being pumped by the "The Last Dance" series.  I saw this similar spike up  few years ago, probably by a "buyer's group" who artificially bought multiple PSA 9 cards for all-time highs probably within their inner circle.  The following year prices went straight down back to more realistic levels.  I think it is happening again now.  If you want the card, I suggest waiting it out until it dips.

9 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I think his 86 Fleer card is overvalued, being pumped by the "The Last Dance" series.  I saw this similar spike up  few years ago, probably by a "buyer's group" who artificially bought multiple PSA 9 cards for all-time highs probably within their inner circle.  The following year prices went straight down back to more realistic levels.  I think it is happening again now.  If you want the card, I suggest waiting it out until it dips.

I agree.  I'd love a PSA 9, but there's so many books I want more lol

Jerome

1 hour ago, Batmanis#1 said:

For me it's simple a TEC book from the 1940's or 1950's over a Jordan rookie every single day of the week. I watched Jordan play his whole career he gave me a lot to look forward to almost every night for over a decade. He is the best player ever without a doubt in my opinion. But his 1986 Fleer card is simply common. I had one I paid $500 for it would grade maybe a PSA 6 today but sold it and it does not bother me at all. I would have liked to have his Star rookie though. I remember when you could get one for about 9k in BGS 8.5.

CGC graded Sports Illustrated November 28, 1983 is an untapped market older than 1984 Star Michael Jordan and far less common than 1986 Fleer.  It's possible we'll all be kicking ourselves that we overlooked the 1983 household words "Sports Illustrated" and concentrated instead on 1984+ cards and shoes.

5 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

For me it's simple a TEC book from the 1940's or 1950's over a Jordan rookie every single day of the week. I watched Jordan play his whole career he gave me a lot to look forward to almost every night for over a decade. He is the best player ever without a doubt in my opinion. But his 1986 Fleer card is simply common. I had one I paid $500 for it would grade maybe a PSA 6 today but sold it and it does not bother me at all. I would have liked to have his Star rookie though. I remember when you could get one for about 9k in BGS 8.5.

I hope you meant 9.5 lol. 8.5's I believe are selling for around $6k.

5 hours ago, Lethal_Collector said:

I agree.  I'd love a PSA 9, but there's so many books I want more lol

Jerome

Yea same here.. But beware of fake Jordan cards and/or fake PSA slabs too!  Also PSA and BGS are unable to detect any micro trimming.  This is what's driving me away from higher end cards.

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Yea same here.. But beware of fake Jordan cards and/or fake PSA slabs too!  Also PSA and BGS are unable to detect any micro trimming.  This is what's driving me away from higher end cards.

It sounds like CGC needs to get into the sports card business.

Jerome

3 hours ago, Lethal_Collector said:
4 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Jerome

That would be something lol..  

3 hours ago, Lethal_Collector said:

Jerome

14 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

That would be something lol..  

Since sports cards is a completely different type of collectibles, and a major one at that, I believe it would be up to CCG to set up a completely different branch of the company from CGC. :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

5 hours ago, texmurphy2099 said:

I’m extremely perplexed by this sale 😮. You can get like a 6.0-6.5 for that amount of money. Makes no sense, even with great eye appeal, the Stan sig on the splash page and no chipping 🤔.

Edited by LDarkseid1