• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

35 Cent Variant Confusion
2 2

23 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Doing the math, just for fun...

60cents times 12 is $7.20.  Two issues with a 25cent discount would mean you make $6.70 for the whole run.

In order to be (minimally) profitable on the "introductory price of 35 cents" model, you'd need to sell 8% more full series in the test geography markets. 

If you sold 10% more, it would definitely be a profitable model.

Got ya. Are we to assume it was unsuccessful then, given the lack of other examples out there for DC (that I can find)?

Quite often in the UK we get monthly modelling magazines with a part of a kit that, with subsequent issues, builds to a complete model. The first issues are always significantly cheaper - and advertised as such (special introductory price!) - to lure the buyers in and, hopefully, a good percentage of them will go on to purchase the later full run of higher priced issues. This test from DC doesn't overtly advertise the price reduction. I wonder how many kids of the day, realistically, would have studied the newsstand, seen the new Amethyst book, and thought "I wouldn't ordinarily buy that, but at 35c I'll give it a go!". It was the cover / character that always tempted me - not the price. Still, that was the test I suppose. 

On 5/3/2020 at 11:57 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

It's a cool book to own.

You know what's also cool to own? lol

Still surprised there's only two of them on CGC's census ~

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Bart Allen