• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The September 1970 DC Survey
1 1

18 posts in this topic

- I got this comic from an enemy!

- I’m fairly interested in Black People?

- I’m not very interested in Astrology.

- Give me that Bubble gum music, fam!!

No kid was eating bacon and eggs for breakfast?

Admit it, there’s just something precious about Supes saying “Let’s Rap!”

CD2EE40C-A83D-4667-9339-2685A04AB457.thumb.jpeg.edf3eff222c062b27c90ffdd391fdbdd.jpeg

Seems like Jack Kirby wrote that groovy text, you cats dig?

That's groovy, man!  What book is that from?  I want to check that out, you dig, man.  Peace!

Edited by DWL
Omitted some text

7 hours ago, kav said:

Seems like Jack Kirby wrote that groovy text, you cats dig?

More likely Joe Simon.

You remember his Brother Power comic?

Edited by Ken Aldred

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

More likely Joe Simon.

You remember Brother Power?

Look both those cats laid down heavy trips, you dig?

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Look both those cats laid down heavy trips, you dig?

Even as a kid in the 70s, that type of dialogue gave me a headache. Passé by then, though.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Even as a kid in the 70s, that type of dialogue gave me a headache. Passé by then, though.

I mean hippies used some of that lingo, but not all in one sentence wtf.

4 minutes ago, kav said:

I mean hippies used some of that lingo, but not all in one sentence wtf.

I know. Never liked it.

Simon and Haney would pack as much as possible into a single sentence, just to be sure.  Nothing like overcompensation.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I know. Never liked it.

I dig.

Whomever wrote that, it would appear they wanted to be seen as hip and cool and up with the times.  But were hippies the target market for comics in 1970?  Were hippies ever the target market? 

Look at the topics in question five.  Makes you wonder whether there is a precedent for the current ham fisted effort by comic professionals to attract social justice warriors - cough, cough, snowflake and safespace - cough, cough.   :sick:

Just a thought.  Now get off my lawn, you darn kids!

17 minutes ago, DWL said:

Look at the topics in question five.  Makes you wonder whether there is a precedent for the current ham fisted effort by comic professionals to attract social justice warriors - cough, cough, snowflake and safespace - cough, cough.   :sick:

Great analogy.  I've read comments from the people those books are supposed to cater to expressing contempt for the tone deaf ham-fisting.

9 hours ago, DWL said:

Whomever wrote that, it would appear they wanted to be seen as hip and cool and up with the times.  But were hippies the target market for comics in 1970?  Were hippies ever the target market? 

Just a thought.  Now get off my lawn, you darn kids!

I suspect some of it is that DC was pretty rudderless at that point. Marvel had been kicking their butt for years. Not a bad time to take the temperature of your audience and hope they have advice for you. This survey would have been written a couple months after Green Lantern 76 hit the stands, and during Wonder Woman’s I Ching phase. DC was already trying new things. Likely wanted to check in for feedback.

15 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

You should fill that out and mail it to DC

In fact, everybody should. Go out and find a low grade copy of a DC book with this survey, fill it out and send to DC. 

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Category:1970,_September

Edited by Jeffro.

32 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

In fact, everybody should. Go out and find a low grade copy of a DC book with this survey, fill it out and send to DC. 

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Category:1970,_September

I’d like to keep my experience as authentic as possible, as close to how it would’ve been done at the start of the 70s, so I’ll make a copy from a scan of the page, fill it out, scan again as a pdf and email it to DC on my mobile / cell.

Edited by Ken Aldred