• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Page damage from pressing
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I sent out one of my books to be pressed and it ended up damaging the pages inside. Something about the material of the pages and the heat made them all stick together. The guy knows what he's doing and had some of my other books and all came out fine as well as other work he's done in the past. I'm still mad because I spent a lot on the book and its pretty rare...and it was actually already slabbed but I was trying to address some of the notes and going to resubmit for a higher score. I'm so disappointed right now.

book2.jpg

Book 1.jpg

Your pressers name wouldn't happen to be Vigil would it? 

I have done this before as well, but only in experimenting how high of temperature I could go on a modern book that had zero value. Maybe your presser is great and this is a freak mistake. I personally dont push temps high enough to cause this damage on a book of value. If your presser thought that it was needed he should of told you the risk and ask for your consent to try it. If he is using a cheap tshirt press I hope he uses a thermometer because the temp gauge may not be accurate. But yeah either too high of temperature or left in too long. Judging by your disappointment I take it he isn't insured or will be making amends? 

9 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

I have done this before as well, but only in experimenting how high of temperature I could go on a modern book that had zero value. Maybe your presser is great and this is a freak mistake. I personally dont push temps high enough to cause this damage on a book of value. If your presser thought that it was needed he should of told you the risk and ask for your consent to try it. If he is using a cheap tshirt press I hope he uses a thermometer because the temp gauge may not be accurate. But yeah either too high of temperature or left in too long. Judging by your disappointment I take it he isn't insured or will be making amends? 

No its not. he said that he actually did it at a lower temp because the cover had a more cardboard/glossy texture. he did offer to compensate or purchase the book from me, but I do still want to keep it. I wanted to take a day to think on it all.

4 minutes ago, DWill73 said:

No its not. he said that he actually did it at a lower temp because the cover had a more cardboard/glossy texture. he did offer to compensate or purchase the book from me, but I do still want to keep it. I wanted to take a day to think on it all.

I dunno then. Personally I had pages turn out like this and it was temperature related and my fault in pushing the limits experimenting. Freak things happen though. Great presser though willing to reimburse you. Personally I would take a replacement or value of one over a crispy pages book even if it was the last one stan signed on the greatest day of life. Though I wouldn't have been reslabbing and pressing it. 

13 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

Do you do stand up?

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Do you do stand up?

If I got you to laugh or at least snicker then possibly maybe. If you are being sarcastic then no, never even thought about doing it. Either way I appreciate your observation skills to get my lil reference. 

4 hours ago, greggy said:

Would rather work on a golden age book than a modern. Moderns are made with the worst inks and paper. 

In this case, the book was probably a few degrees and seconds away from becoming a frisbee. 

Edited by joeypost

2 hours ago, joeypost said:

Would rather work on a golden age book than a modern. Moderns are made with the worst inks and paper. 

In this case, the book was probably a few degrees and seconds away from becoming a frisbee. 

I think this guy did one of my Cap books...

BF87620F-6389-4020-BECD-985E2BAB6D78.jpeg.e1a8b83df783237eed0296e4d5270ff8.jpeg

:devil:

Edited by oldrover