• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Working on an Aquaman Collection

9 posts in this topic

I don't see a whole lot of love for my man Arthur! Aquaman is one of my top two. And I figured it may be easier to put together a full vol 1 run of Aquaman than anything else. Since I started last year I have only picked up 24 of the 63 issues. Most are mid\low grade. I have 4, 8, 13-15, 24, 27-29, 31, 33, 34, 38-41, 44, 45,51-54, 58 and 60. Unfortunately my #29 (first Ocean Master) is ultra low grade. Taped, restapled, etc. Couldn't see those on the ebay photos. Learned a good lesson there. $40 down the drain.  So far nothing worth slabbing. I hope to change that sometime soon. If you come across any good deals on Aquaman vol 1 feel free to post a link here. Or just talk about your own Aquaman collection. I'm always down to discuss Aquaman!

I only have a small collection, mainly featuring good Mera covers. There are three keys, Mera, Black Manta and Ocean Master. I suggest saving for them and keeping an eye out for a good one in your price range. The others can be picked up with patience over time. Get the very best 11 you can afford. (even if it hurts ) you won't regret it. And that $40.00 is not down the drain, my first Black Manta has full spine slpit and cost way more than your $40.00 - but it was here in OZ so I saved on ebay's taxes and double postage, so can't complain.

A great under rated series - keep on assembling the run.  There's also some great stuff in the Showcase issues as well.

Didn't receive what you thought you were buying?  There's always the option of return.  In any case, it always pays to ask lots of questions even if the answer seems evident in the photos.  

On 5/4/2020 at 12:21 PM, weasel87 said:

Aquaman is one of my top two.

So you're THAT guy! :baiting:

It is a surprisingly hard series to complete, particularly in ultra-high grade.  And it's not the early issues that are hardest, but issues in the teens.  

I’ve been working on a mostly mid-grade run of Aquaman too, and I agree you can get many of them for very reasonable prices.  I won a My Comic Shop auction recently for a lot of 7 (37, 39, 47, 50, 51, 52 and a Super DC Giant 26), with most grading VG according to MCS (and I find them to be tough graders) for $36 total.  I couldn’t believe it.  I received them today and they are in better shape than I expected.

On 5/4/2020 at 12:21 AM, weasel87 said:

I don't see a whole lot of love for my man Arthur! Aquaman is one of my top two. 

Well you haven't been looking in the right place. I know I posted most of my Aquaman comics on this board previously but the thread defied my initial Search.

On 5/4/2020 at 12:21 AM, weasel87 said:

Or just talk about your own Aquaman collection. I'm always down to discuss Aquaman!

Well if I still can't find the thread in which I posted my scans by later in the day, I'll start reposting them here. Aquaman is such a great hero that his catalogue deserves multiple repostings.

(edited)_Aquaman.png

:wink:

I am a completionist collector for all the Silver Age super hero titles, and Aquaman is part of my collection.  I buy my comics in the 8.0 to 9.0 range, and find it is comparatively rare to find issues of Aquaman, say compared to comparable 2nd tier DC heroes such as GL or Flash.   I only have about a dozen issues of Silver Age Aquaman, compared to 50-70 issues of GL and Flash.  This suggests to me that Aquaman was not a title in the 60s that many people thought well enough of to keep nice copies.  Or maybe kids loved the character more because of his TV cartoon, and passed around his comics more frequently?

On 5/28/2020 at 5:45 PM, Dergrosse13 said:

I’ve been working on a mostly mid-grade run of Aquaman too, and I agree you can get many of them for very reasonable prices.  I won a My Comic Shop auction recently for a lot of 7 (37, 39, 47, 50, 51, 52 and a Super DC Giant 26), with most grading VG according to MCS (and I find them to be tough graders) for $36 total.  I couldn’t believe it.  I received them today and they are in better shape than I expected.

That’s a nice score at that price.  I really like those Cardy covers.