• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's SPACE FORCE starring Steve Carell (2020)

35 posts in this topic

This looks great! 
It seems to me that creating Space Force from the Air Force is like creating an Earth Force out of the Army. Didn’t the Air Force already have space pretty much covered? Serious question since I haven’t followed much news on this new branch.

10 minutes ago, Grails said:

This looks great! 
It seems to me that creating Space Force from the Air Force is like creating an Earth Force out of the Army. Didn’t the Air Force already have space pretty much covered? Serious question since I haven’t followed much news on this new branch.

You are dead-on with the thinking, as there is already a U.S. Air Force Space Command that has existed since 1982.

https://www.afspc.af.mil/About-Us/

4 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I’m in the “space” arena. There are reasons, and they boil down to the importance of SATCOM. Think about all the capabilities it enables... 

I’m gonna be hearing one liners from this show for a lonnnnng time...guaranteed.

We didn’t have this advantage or benefit with SATCOM before the existence of Space Force? 

5 hours ago, Grails said:

We didn’t have this advantage or benefit with SATCOM before the existence of Space Force? 

A service has more pull than a command. This helps when advocating for resources from congress. Expect space to receive more $$.

Plus, organizationally, there are bits and pieces of space sprinkled across all the services now. It creates huge inefficiencies... There will be synergy with having everything under one roof...

Edited by Callaway29
added last sentence

10 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

A service has more pull than a command. This helps when advocating for resources from congress. Expect space to receive more $$.

Plus, organizationally, there are bits and pieces of space sprinkled across all the services now. It creates huge inefficiencies... There will be synergy with bringing everything under one roof...

From the details that came out about the 2020 budget, all they did was move U.S. Air Force money around from other programs to Space Force.

DoD asks for $705B for 2021, gives Space Force more than $15B

This is the first budget request since the creation of the Space Force at the end of 2019. Space Force is allocated $15.4 billion for 2021, that’s compared to just $40 million in 2020. Outside of the $10.3 billion for R&D, the new service will get $2.6 billion for operations and maintenance and $2.4 billion for procurement. All of that money comes from the Air Force budget.

The Space Force will grow from 160 military and civilian personnel to nearly 10,100 in 2021. The total service member end strength will be about 6,400.

“The U.S. Space Force stand-up, which began in 2020, will continue through 2025,” the DoD budget overview states. “Most personnel who were previously assigned to Air Force Space Command, a former major command within the U.S. Air Force, are now assigned to the U.S. Space Force to perform its missions.”

$72.4 million of its budget is meant to create the Space Force headquarters. Because where else is Steve Carell going to issue orders from? (:

I am hoping that this does not get nuked by the mods for 'politics'

Here is what the show should come down to.  It should come down to the Seinfeld litmus test for comedy.

"Is it funny?"

If it is funny... then it is okay. 

That is the one theme that is featured throughout his series comedians in cars getting coffee.

I will start watching this. 

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I am hoping that this does not get nuked by the mods for 'politics'

Here is what the show should come down to.  It should come down to the Seinfeld litmus test for comedy.

"Is it funny?"

If it is funny... then it is okay. 

That is the one theme that is featured throughout his series comedians in cars getting coffee.

I will start watching this. 

Where is politics being heavily discussed here that we are bringing up the mods and 'politics'?

Grail's question was more in the service was even necessary since it was covered already. I think if we leave it to that level and not 'MY GUY' or 'YOUR GUY' political discussions, we are okay.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Where is politics being heavily discussed here that we are bringing up the mods and 'politics'?

Grail's question was more in the service was even necessary since it was covered already. I think if we leave it to that level and not 'MY GUY' or 'YOUR GUY' political discussions, we are okay.

The concept of the show itself was brought up in a pervious thread in the Water Cooler I believe and butthurt appeared. 

Me?  I will be watching. I've no problem with it. 

Edited by Buzzetta

20 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

The concept of the show itself was brought up in a pervious thread in the Water Cooler I believe and butthurt appeared

Me?  I will be watching. I've no problem with it. 

:eek:

On 5/20/2020 at 7:40 AM, Callaway29 said:

Plus, organizationally, there are bits and pieces of space sprinkled across all the services now. It creates huge inefficiencies... There will be synergy with having everything under one roof...

I wouldn't consider this political at all. I actually work in MILSATCOM too. I'm not sure I'll get onboard with the show, though. The US military as bumbling iddiots schtick has stopped being that funny to me. It seems Hollywood portrays it in no other way except when trying for nonfiction.

Edited by bb8

"Cheap generals are like cheap enchiladas: you end up paying for it on the back end"

:roflmao:

I'm three episodes in.

The humor starts to flow smoother by Episode 3. But the overall show so far is a parody of government practices, committees, egos and people in general. And yes, themes and personalities from modern times flow into the stories, but in more exaggerated situations (if that is even possible).

To include a budget committee on space being interrupted by ladies dressed in Handmaid's Tale outfits because they confused the days.