• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Grading Collectible/Trading Cards...?
5 5

136 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Timely said:

Why does 8.5 have a "+" next to the word "Mint" but 9.0 does not? Typically a "+" denotes a better grade, not a worse grade!

An 8 is NM/MT, the next grade up is usually NM/MT+, or 8.5. The terms for the numerical grade in card grading are often different than they are for comics.

31 minutes ago, Timely said:

Why does 8.5 have a "+" next to the word "Mint" but 9.0 does not? Typically a "+" denotes a better grade, not a worse grade!

Sometimes in grading the "+" does not mean mint plus but it might mean that the card technically qualifies for a 8.5 but is exceptional for the great. 

It might be like those old CVA that Comiclink tried selling everyone on that assessed whether or not a book was more visually pleasing than another for the assigned technical grade from CGC.  I have seen it done with toy grading.  https://cgagrading.com/toygrader/  Scroll down if anyone wishes to verify.

Several years ago we introduced the “plus” designation to our grading system for Video Game Authority to create a finer differentiation between items of similar conditions. The plus attached to the end of a grade denotes an item which is above-average for its grade level, yet doesn't quite possess the qualities to reach the next-highest grade.

15 minutes ago, Lest 2 Art said:

Is there a NM/MT-? I'd guess no, since, as we've seen with CGC, ignorant noobs will complain that they "don't want a negative on their grade" :facepalm:

The next full grade below NM/MT 8, is NM 7. So, the grade between those two would be 7.5 NM+. PSA didn't use the half grades for a long time, but started to several years ago as so many others did it.

SGC even used to use a 100 Point scale, but I don't think they do now.

Scan_20200506.jpg

Edited by electricprune

19 hours ago, Red84 said:

The card grading market is full.

No one who is knowledgeable about cards is going to get a card graded by CGC when PSA is and has been the trusted market leader for decades. 2c

Look at it this way.

Nintendo was king in video games in the 80's - early 90's, then Sony showed up and took the crown and then, arguably, Microsoft got it. Maybe CGC thinks they can dominate PSA. I say go for it.

20 minutes ago, justin said:

Look at it this way.

Nintendo was king in video games in the 80's - early 90's, then Sony showed up and took the crown and then, arguably, Microsoft got it. Maybe CGC thinks they can dominate PSA. I say go for it.

Definitely 

Does CGC grade videogames yet

Because.....

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Sometimes in grading the "+" does not mean mint plus but it might mean that the card technically qualifies for a 8.5 but is exceptional for the great. 

It might be like those old CVA that Comiclink tried selling everyone on that assessed whether or not a book was more visually pleasing than another for the assigned technical grade from CGC.  I have seen it done with toy grading.  https://cgagrading.com/toygrader/  Scroll down if anyone wishes to verify.

CVA appears to still be in business.

Edit: CVA (https://www.cvacomics.com/)

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
CVA.

28 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:
49 minutes ago, justin said:

Look at it this way.

Definitely 

Does CGC grade videogames yet

Because.....

WATA is as close as it gets to the CGC grading scale.  Not sure if CGC has any affiliation, but Paul Litch and Matt Nelson are in the WATA advisory board.

https://www.watagames.com/who-we-are#meet-our-team

36 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

WATA is as close as it gets to the CGC grading scale.  Not sure if CGC has any affiliation, but Paul Litch and Matt Nelson are in the WATA advisory board.

https://www.watagames.com/who-we-are#meet-our-team

Man 

I want to say something funny regarding this...but I'm scared

Instead I'll say...look forward to it CGC

I will also say this. The corners of the two cards you can see in the video are rounded. Off the top of my head I can only think of one sports card like that, at least up to 1992 or so. That was the 1968 Topps game cards. Those were only white though.

Unless there were more, and there could be, maybe they are focusing on non sports cards?

41 minutes ago, electricprune said:

I will also say this. The corners of the two cards you can see in the video are rounded. Off the top of my head I can only think of one sports card like that, at least up to 1992 or so. That was the 1968 Topps game cards. Those were only white though.

Unless there were more, and there could be, maybe they are focusing on non sports cards?

It was likely magic or pokemon in the image. They have rounded corners.

I don’t know enough about the graded aspect of the card hobby to comment on whether CGC will meet or surpass the current card graders, but I do see one area where they could carve out a niche for themselves:

If they applied their Signature Series methodology to their card grading. 

It seems to me that one of the things that’s really keeping the current card hobby going is chase inserts in general and signed cards in particular. 

For awhile I was collecting the Rittenhouse signed Star Trek cards, but the more I read about secretarials the more I began to question the authenticity of those signatures. 

But now there’s now the possibility that I could have a vintage Topps Star Trek card signed by Shatner while witnessed by a SS rep and get back a graded card with an authenticated signature for about the price of what I’d pay for a Shatner Rittenhouse card where I’d always wonder about the sig’s authenticity?

Call me crazy, but yeah, I could go for that. For me, it would open up a really nice opportunity to get celebrity signatures from sci-fi shows I like. 

The video shows the graded card with "center" (centering, centered, a separate subscore?) - bringing CGC to the concept of "centering" as a stand-alone factor in grading.  Could CGC graded comics with subscores for centering, corners, surface (the standard BGS subscores) be the next innovation?  If so, what happens to all those high grade comics with bad centering?  Value plunge?

Edited by valiantman

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The video shows the graded card with "center" (centering, centered, a separate subscore?) - bringing CGC to the concept of "centering" as a stand-alone factor in grading.  Could CGC graded comics with subscores for centering, corners, surface (the standard BGS subscores) be the next innovation?  If so, what happens to all those high grade comics with bad centering?  Value plunge?

Maybe. Some collectors already take that into account. Cards also can have several qualifiers: (OC) Off Center, (ST) Stain, (MK) Mark, such as a pencil mark, (MC) Miscut, (OF) Out Of Focus, and (PD) Print Defect.

For cards, they are usually an automatic two grade discount, if you want the Qualifier off. EG, a 9 would be  7 without a qualifier. Or it would be a 9 (OC) if it was off center.

I think it might be too late to bring those in to comic grading. I’m guessing there might be a few people that wouldn’t mind having a Miswrap qualifier though. CGC already has some qualifiers obviously, so who knows for sure.

25 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I don’t know enough about the graded aspect of the card hobby to comment on whether CGC will meet or surpass the current card graders, but I do see one area where they could carve out a niche for themselves:

If they applied their Signature Series methodology to their card grading. 

It seems to me that one of the things that’s really keeping the current card hobby going is chase inserts in general and signed cards in particular. 

For awhile I was collecting the Rittenhouse signed Star Trek cards, but the more I read about secretarials the more I began to question the authenticity of those signatures. 

But now there’s now the possibility that I could have a vintage Topps Star Trek card signed by Shatner while witnessed by a SS rep and get back a graded card with an authenticated signature for about the price of what I’d pay for a Shatner Rittenhouse card where I’d always wonder about the sig’s authenticity?

Call me crazy, but yeah, I could go for that. For me, it would open up a really nice opportunity to get celebrity signatures from sci-fi shows I like. 

If you are talking about witnessed signatures, signed cards are not valuable enough to warrant the service.

The signed cards that are valuable are the ones that are signed during production and are limited editions. Those signatures already have the authentication on the card.

PSA does provide the equivalent of signature verification for authenticity. That goes along with their PSA/DNA business.

There is no market for a signature series witness signed baseball card.

18 minutes ago, Red84 said:

There is no market for a signature series witness signed baseball card.

Because the market doesn't exist?

There has to be a market between "I pulled this limited edition blue hologram prism-plus nose-picking-premium signed card from a pack" and "I got one of my childhood baseball cards signed by the retired player at a card show" where a CGC witness is needed on the second card and the booger-eating "rarity" can just keep on keepin' on for the first card.

Edited by valiantman

27 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Because the market doesn't exist?

There has to be a market between "I pulled this limited edition blue hologram prism-plus nose-picking-premium signed card from a pack" and "I got one of my childhood baseball cards signed by the retired player at a card show" where a CGC witness is needed on the second card and the booger-eating "rarity" can just keep on keepin' on for the first card.

There isn't a market, but if there is one, it is very very small. First, someone at a show who cared enough about having their in-person signature authenticated is going to have a ball, photo or jersey signed, not a card. Second, in person signed cards have little resale value. They are fun collectibles for the person who had them signed.

Do some people submit signed cards to PSA for after the fact signature verification? Yes.And those cards are encapsulated stating the signature is verified. That makes sense for expensive signatures, it does not make sense for cheap signatures.

There is a market for graded cards, but there is not for signature series cards.

23 minutes ago, Red84 said:

There is a market for graded cards, but there is not for signature series cards.

Are there any signature series cards?  PSA after-the-fact verification exists, but that's not a signature series (witnessed) card.  If there aren't any cards, there isn't a market, but it doesn't mean there wouldn't be a market if signature series cards existed.  CGC makes literal millions witnessing and grading signature series comics that are basically common issues from last week a lot of the time.  There was no real market for that before CGC SS in comics, we were all trusting "certificates of authenticity" for signings supposedly witnessed by the same people selling us the signed comics.  That wasn't a good enough model, and it has basically died as a result of CGC SS.

I have a feeling you would have been one of the guys in 1999 saying "there's no market for comic books in plastic slabs - people want to read them!" lol

Edited by valiantman

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Are there any signature series cards?  PSA after-the-fact verification exists, but that's not a signature series (witnessed) card.  If there aren't any cards, there isn't a market, but it doesn't mean there wouldn't be a market if signature series cards existed.  CGC makes literal millions witnessing and grading signature series comics that are basically common issues from last week a lot of the time.  There was no real market for that before CGC SS in comics, we were all trusting "certificates of authenticity" for signings supposedly witnessed by the same people selling us the signed comics.  That wasn't a good enough model, and it has basically died as a result of CGC SS.

Comics and cards are not comparable for signature series. Comics can be signed by the cover artist, interior artist, writer, creator, actor or actress that portrays one of the characters. Comics have blanks where artists and draw original works of art.

A card can be signed by the 1 and rarely 2 athletes on the card. That's it.