• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Grading Collectible/Trading Cards...?
5 5

136 posts in this topic

Sorry brus but I wish the announcement was for magazines. I have lots of cards that came with comic collections I’ve bought over the years but they hold little interest. Magazines and Pulps on the other hand ...

1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Speaking of cards......

653E7437-8785-478B-94DF-DC5DC7DABBB4.thumb.jpeg.c5baf99b58d3869c1c47e3d9f78cb521.jpeg

:cloud9:

Awesome card Doc.  What is the grade?  Guessing a 4 or 4.5.

The card trimming scandal linked to PSA is the reason CGC is doing this.  It is going to be a tough road for CGC.  PSA appears to have weathered the storm.  SGC has picked up some market share and Beckett is still a distant third.  For CGC to dent PSA's and SGC's market share is going to be a tall order IMHO.

2 minutes ago, makeminemarvel said:

The card trimming scandal linked to PSA is the reason CGC is doing this.  It is going to be a tough road for CGC.  PSA appears to have weathered the storm.  SGC has picked up some market share and Beckett is still a distant third.  For CGC to dent PSA's and SGC's market share is going to be a tall order IMHO.

It’s actually a 3.  I feel like it presents well for the grade.

20 hours ago, Lest 2 Art said:
20 hours ago, Timely said:

Why does 8.5 have a "+" next to the word "Mint" but 9.0 does not? Typically a "+" denotes a better grade, not a worse grade!

Reminds me of how Metropolis used to grade: VF++/NM-

Was that on their FN+ books?

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Sorry brus but I wish the announcement was for magazines. I have lots of cards that came with comic collections I’ve bought over the years but they hold little interest. Magazines and Pulps on the other hand ...

Doesn't CGC already grade magazines...?

18 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Doesn't CGC already grade magazines...?

Mostly comic magazines, Playboys and Sports Illustrated. I’m talking about Pulps like weird tales and magazines like these. 

image.jpg

Edited by ThothAmon

There's nothing in the video to suggest they will be doing sports cards, just gaming cards (Pokemon and MTG specifically). It looks like a service just for gaming cards. I'm not sure what features they will use to cater to the market, but I bet they have some good ideas up their sleeves. Can't wait!

On 5/5/2020 at 8:05 PM, bpc3qh said:

My understanding is that there's been a big blow to the credibility of the card grading companies over the last 12-18 months.

Yet no one seems to care and prices remain strong. It’s kind of unbelievable. BUT it will just take a few trimmed or rebacked cards to show up in a CGC case that will negate any impact they would have and it’s likely to happen. Both BGS and PSA have had issues. PSA domnates vintage sports cards and high grade Magic card collector’s prefer BGS with their quad grades which CGC apparently isn’t going with. They’ll get some submission but I doubt they will get much a market share.

Take it a step further from grading packs.  What about grading wax boxes too!  I think only GAI is the only grading company that grades boxes (I heard they are unreliable, but I cannot personally say) and I know BBCE Steve Hart only authenticates packs and boxes (he on the other hand has been doing this for years and is the leading authenticator in the hobby).

9 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Take it a step further from grading packs.  What about grading wax boxes too!  I think only GAI is the only grading company that grades boxes (I heard they are unreliable, but I cannot personally say) and I know BBCE Steve Hart only authenticates packs and boxes (he on the other hand has been doing this for years and is the leading authenticator in the hobby).

Would love that as well. Especially in Pokemon that would be a game changer

If you look closely at the video, they’re also showing comics in this video - so it can’t just be a card announcement, right? Any thoughts around this being new slabs and labels for comics? If so - anyone holding off submitting books based on this potential? (Like myself?)

On 5/7/2020 at 8:17 AM, makeminemarvel said:

Beckett - distant 3rd??
Pretty sure that was/is still SGC

Edited by Icculus308win
Bored