• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Grading Collectible/Trading Cards...?
5 5

136 posts in this topic

On 5/22/2020 at 12:37 PM, Icculus308win said:

Beckett - distant 3rd??
Pretty sure that was/is still SGC

Beckett is 2nd behind PSA

Crazy prices for Modern Beckett Sports Cards,

(BGS95) 2009 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout RED Refractor AUTO, including the buyers premium, $922,500 (.May 20 as part of Goldin Auctions’ Spring 2020 Premium Auction)

PLUS...

(BGS95) 2003-04 EXQUISITE LEBRON JAMES AUTO Jersey card may be the 1st MILLION DOLLAR Basketball card? (Goldin Auctions' 2020 Summer Auction that closes on Saturday, July 18th)

https://goldinauctions.com/2003_04_UD__Exquisite_Collection___78_LeBron_James-LOT60435.aspx (07-05-20) Current Bid: $850,000, with Buyer's Premium (20%-23%), $1 Million+

Edited by Chaos_in_Canada

40 minutes ago, Pokecollectoramy said:

Yep, posted by Quinn today in an MTG group, but we have nothing official except for the teaser as of now

Nice!  I'm sitting on a ton of stuff that I would use CGC for grading. I'm comfortable with them being an authorized dealer and I think they'll do just fine entering this market.

3 hours ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Beckett is 2nd behind PSA

Crazy prices for Modern Beckett Sports Cards,

(BGS95) 2009 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout RED Refractor AUTO, including the buyers premium, $922,500 (.May 20 as part of Goldin Auctions’ Spring 2020 Premium Auction)

PLUS...

(BGS95) 2003-04 EXQUISITE LEBRON JAMES AUTO Jersey card may be the 1st MILLION DOLLAR Basketball card? (Goldin Auctions' 2020 Summer Auction that closes on Saturday, July 18th)

Presently, $850k (07-04-20)

🤘
I’ve been out of the loop for many years, but seen/heard/read enough that PSA seems to be #1, but Beckett still strong

19 hours ago, Icculus308win said:

🤘
I’ve been out of the loop for many years, but seen/heard/read enough that PSA seems to be #1, but Beckett still strong

Beckett is number 1 for MTG which is likely why CGC is going the subgrade route. PSA is number 1 for vintage sports.

On 7/4/2020 at 10:59 AM, electricprune said:

It looks nice. The slab appears to be much bigger than all the other companies’ slabs though. I wonder if that will hurt, help, or not matter.

You don't remember those massive holding cases that you had to screw shut?

I had a Marino Autograph RC in it

38 minutes ago, electricprune said:

Yes These appear to be much bigger than those, especially the height. I think the width would be close.

I always thought there was an issue with them destroying cards over time or something 

But it makes sense for CGC to move on this market...in my opinion their slabbing of comic books has exploded the value!

I like them and think the cases look pretty cool.  I used to collect sports cards back in the day and keep my ear to the ground on how the market is doing.  Don't ever see myself getting into sports cards again but I might be tempted to start grading some of my Marvel cards.  Those have a special place in my heart and I have a few complete sets still that i'll thumb through from time to time.  I wonder if this gets some traction that we'll see prices start to tick up for graded Marvel trading cards.

Edited by Keys_Collector

1 hour ago, Keys_Collector said:

I like them and think the cases look pretty cool.  I used to collect sports cards back in the day and keep my ear to the ground on how the market is doing.  Don't ever see myself getting into sports cards again but I might be tempted to start grading some of my Marvel cards.  Those have a special place in my heart and I have a few complete sets still that i'll thumb through from time to time.  I wonder if this gets some traction that we'll see prices start to tick up for graded Marvel trading cards.

Doesn’t sound like they will be grading Marvel cards. Graded Marvel cards would be probably be a long shot to take off. The stuff released today is so niche and there are only a handful of people paying big money for the cards released today. The 90’s stuff is fairly plentiful with the later run stuff a bit rarer but I agent seen too many people be all that interested in grading them. I have a lot of Marvel Trading card art and a few PSA graded 92 Masterpieces and I just don’t really see the graded Marvel cards really taking off if it hasn’t done so by now.