• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Grading Collectible/Trading Cards...?
5 5

136 posts in this topic

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Yeah it was

Look around

There is a CGC cards forum thread

Man is all you do us argue with people?

Who do you think you are? Gods gift to the internet?

That sub-forum didn't even exist when this topic was created. Stop being a contrarian.

Trolling is defined as creating discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people by posting inflammatory or off-topic messages in an online community. Basically, a social media troll is someone who purposely says something controversial in order to get a rise out of other users.

We'll see if they get into garbage pail kids? The values would definitely merit grading. I think maybe if cgc verified signatures on marvel cards those could take off? If funds were unlimited I'd go right into graded garbage pail and sealed packs :headbang:

12 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

We'll see if they get into garbage pail kids? The values would definitely merit grading. I think maybe if cgc verified signatures on marvel cards those could take off? If funds were unlimited I'd go right into graded garbage pail and sealed packs :headbang:

Next they could get into Gum Grading! Y'know, those pieces that used to come with sports card packs?

:flipbait:

On 7/8/2020 at 8:25 AM, DocHoppus182 said:
On 7/6/2020 at 1:33 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

So sports cards are still worth something 

Yes.  Big time.

Actually, no.  Just like comics, 99.9% of all sportscards are worthless, especially from the past 40 years.  But, if you have something important, like Hank Aaron's rookie card as @DocHoppus182 showed, then you've got something... and 99.9% of all sportscard collections don't have anything like that. :foryou:

On 5/5/2020 at 8:30 PM, Red84 said:

CGC is a known brand in comics. 
Unless CGC is going to charge 50% of PSA, BGS and SGC I see no reason why a card dealer would get their cards graded by a company that their customers are not familiar with. 

Exactly. Comics, CGC is the top dog. I wont argue that, but I dont see them dethroning PSA or even Beckett. Not saying they wont get some business from comic industry fans, but as a whole, no chance they take down PSA as the face in card grading.  

I do like the concept,  however with that said it really gets to me they go straight to MTG , Pokemon. Completely bypassing their market.  Non Sports. Most of us comic collectors may have some Marvel, DC items that we would love to have in a complimentary case displayed with our comics.  Instead they go for the gaming cards , and have now announced they plan to do sports as well ,  although this is partnered with CSG( their previous attempt didn't go so well SCG) . Only time will tell how this will all play out , but my personal opinion is that they should have at least tentatively stayed in their already carved out market and offered the complimentary services to gauge interest as well as start to establish value increase over competitors first, which would have been easier in a relatively lower value market. Then expand into addition services ( custom labels, signature series , wide cards, uncut sheets, and a whole slew of add ons). All this while refining the grading process, cases , labels, etc. Then targeted the bigger and higher dollar markets of Gaming and Sports cards. Just my 2c

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

7 hours ago, valiantman said:

Actually, no.  Just like comics, 99.9% of all sportscards are worthless, especially from the past 40 years.  But, if you have something important, like Hank Aaron's rookie card as @DocHoppus182 showed, then you've got something... and 99.9% of all sportscard collections don't have anything like that. :foryou:

You’re right.  I suppose I should’ve been more specific.  As Valiant said, yes, the majority of cards from the previous several decades are worthless.  Especially almost all 80s and 90s cards.  I know someone who owns a card store and I’m sort of in-tune with today’s market.  Autos and high end rookies are on fire and have been for the past several years. In my opinion, like I’ve said before, the market is much smaller than it was before, but for those in the market, it’s as big as it’s ever been.

And yes, I had to show off my Hammerin’ Hank RC.  Low grade yes, but still pretty.

Edit:  I almost forgot.  Vintage is on fire.  1900s - 1960s.

Edited by DocHoppus182
Forgot thought

20 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I do like the concept,  however with that said it really gets to me they go straight to MTG , Pokemon. Completely bypassing their market.  Non Sports. Most of us comic collectors may have some Marvel, DC items that we would love to have in a complimentary case displayed with our comics.  Instead they go for the gaming cards , and have now announced they plan to do sports as well ,  although this is partnered with CSG( their previous attempt didn't go so well SCG) . Only time will tell how this will all play out , but my personal opinion is that they should have at least tentatively stayed in their already carved out market and offered the complimentary services to gauge interest as well as start to establish value increase over competitors first, which would have been easier in a relatively lower value market. Then expand into addition services ( custom labels, signature series , wide cards, uncut sheets, and a whole slew of add ons). All this while refining the grading process, cases , labels, etc. Then targeted the bigger and higher dollar markets of Gaming and Sports cards. Just my 2c

Yeah, I'm surprised that they're not doing pop culture trading cards, seems obvious. I realize most of the Marvel Universe cards are worthless, but hey, most modern comics are worthless too...until you put 'em in a slab! Seems like the same would hold true for MU cards.

This is the sort of thing I'd like for them to grade. BTW, if anyone has one of these, please send it to me. I assure you it's worthless, and I will dispose of it properly.

mm.jpg