• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age characters that you find fascinating.

47 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

The Spirit.

Particularly post-WW 2, when Will Eisner had refined his art style and used a wide range of storytelling techniques and mood, most famously the classic, influential, gritty urban noir.

A genius creator of many short-but-brilliant stories.

Yeah, and the way Eisner drew that came off as dynamic, effective, and slick, making each panel look dramatic or eventful in of themselves (Police Comics #13, November 1942).

RBDwgKh.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

5 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Creig Flessel’s work is excellent.

Just look at that brushwork bluh.  

Speaking of DC characters, the concept of a spirit coming back from the dead to avenge someone, like the Spectre, fascinates me. Also what fascinates me is reincarnation, like with Hawkman, or trained sorcery, like with Doctor Fate. Basically, any origin that resembles anything magical/spiritual/supernatural is likely to catch my attention.

More Fun Comics #52 (February, 1940):

lSBwOp3.jpg

Flash Comics #1 (January, 1940):

nhCE0we.jpg

More Fun Comics #67 (May, 1941):

PR1ETnO.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

3 minutes ago, Electricmastro said:

Speaking of DC characters, the concept of a spirit coming back from the dead to avenge someone, like the Spectre, fascinates me. Also what fascinates me is reincarnation, like with Hawkman, or trained sorcery, like with Doctor Fate. Basically, any origin that resembles anything magical/spiritual/supernatural is likely to catch my attention.

lSBwOp3.jpg

nhCE0we.jpg

PR1ETnO.jpg

Bingo on Dr Fate.  As a kid-reading reprints in DC Big 52 page 25c books-fascinated me.

45 minutes ago, kav said:

For some reason sandman always fascinated me.

Sandman II - DC Comics - Wesley Dodds - Character Profile ...

Great character.  For me, the gas mask puts him in the Uncanny Valley; quite unsettling, emotionless, cold and robotic, something to disturb the criminals with.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

30 minutes ago, kav said:

Bingo on Dr Fate.  As a kid-reading reprints in DC Big 52 page 25c books-fascinated me.

Both Dr Fate and The Spectre.  Love the darker, earlier stories in More Fun.

(Or, in my case, the Archive hardcovers.)

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Great character.  For me, the gas mask puts him in the Uncanny Valley; quite unsettling, emotionless, cold and robotic, something to disturb the criminals with.  

Bingo.
A bit Rorschacchian. (sic)

Edited by kav

5 minutes ago, Electricmastro said:

The Black Widow and her resurrection from Mystic Comics #4 (July 1940, Marvel Comics).

krg7pf4.jpg

Claire Voyant-awesome.  Look at the black inkwork there in the devil last panel-awesome.  Something like that you can really apppreciate when looking at the orig page.
He commands her to---WANK.
Oh wait thats a different book-

Edited by kav

I'll leave Jack Cole's Plastic Man for Mike to enthuse about later.  I'm not greedy.

I've learned something there.  I didn't know that Jim Mooney started in comics in the very early Golden Age.

Edited by Ken Aldred

19 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I've learned something there.  I didn't know that Jim Mooney started in comics in the very early Golden Age.

Yeah, Mooney worked for various companies throughout the 40s, his earliest known comic book work being for the Moth, from Fox Comics, as well as drawing his earliest known professional cover for Ace Comics in 1940.

jPyBFFf.jpg

38 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

He was good back then!
Then he became this:

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 5.34.00 PM.png

Ugh.
Whoever told him to start using thick crude brush strokes and just dots for eyes-big mistake.

Edited by kav