• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing Staple Question
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hi folks, have a quick grading question for you.  If a mid-silver age key would grade out at say a 9.0 but it has a production defect in that it's missing its top staple (no top staple holes or imprints at all... bottom staple is secure), would the grade be reduced for this?  I was thinking not but would appreciate others thoughts.  Also, if the 9.0 grade isn't impacted, at what grade level do you think the missing staple would come into play?  9.4? 9.6? 9.8?  Thanks so much...

Having a single missing staple due to production error shouldn't impact grade. I'm not sure if or at what level grade would be impacted. I know I've seen 9.2's & 9.4's, but don't recall higher. The staple error seems far more common in SA Marvels than SA DC's fwiw.

imageproxy (1).jpeg

10 hours ago, EastEnd1 said:

Hi folks, have a quick grading question for you.  If a mid-silver age key would grade out at say a 9.0 but it has a production defect in that it's missing its top staple (no top staple holes or imprints at all... bottom staple is secure), would the grade be reduced for this?  I was thinking not but would appreciate others thoughts.  Also, if the 9.0 grade isn't impacted, at what grade level do you think the missing staple would come into play?  9.4? 9.6? 9.8?  Thanks so much...

The production defect keeps it out of Mint/Gem Mint range, meaning, that this could get a 9.8 maximum.