• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bigger Silver Age Key: Daredevil 1 or Avengers 1?
2 2

Bigger Silver Age Key: Daredevil 1 or Avengers 1  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the Bigger Silver Age Key: Daredevil 1 or Avengers 1?

68 posts in this topic

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 8:48 AM, bpc3qh said:

I'm definitely going to declare victory on this one, as it doesn't seem liked the term "mutant" as we've come to know it was in use prior to X-Men 1.

Per Wiki: "Officially, Namor the Sub-Mariner is considered the first mutant superhero whom Marvel Comics ever published,[6] debuting in 1939. However, Namor was not actually described as a mutant until Fantastic Four Annual #1, decades after his first appearance.[7] The same is true of Toro, partner of the android Human Torch introduced in 1940."

FF Annual #1 was published in July, 1963, while X-Men #1 was published in September, 1963, a few months after FF Annual #1.  Therefore, Namor precedes the Uncanny X-Men as the 1st (published) mutant character of the Marvel Universe

5 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

FF Annual #1 was published in July, 1963, while X-Men #1 was published in September, 1963

:eyeroll: No, you can't compare an issue without a cover month to an issue with a cover month like that. It appears they were released at the same time and Namor was called a mutant to coincide with the introduction of the new team of mutants.

On 6/1/2020 at 7:48 AM, bpc3qh said:
On 6/1/2020 at 5:50 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm definitely going to declare victory on this one, as it doesn't seem liked the term "mutant" as we've come to know it was in use prior to X-Men 1.

hm

Did you actually read anything in that link? The superpowers of multiple earlier characters published by Marvel (whatever name they were using at the time) were explained by their being mutants.

5 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

hm

Did you actually read anything in that link? The superpowers of multiple earlier characters published by Marvel (whatever name they were using at the time) were explained by their being mutants.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek (I shouldn't have "declared victory"), but I will also defend my basic premise: the concept of mutants as we are familiar with them was introduced in X-Men 1, even if earlier character can be classified as "mutants". And, from the standpoint of collectability, I don't think many people think of Namor as a mutant in the same way they think of any of the characters introduced in X-Men 1 either.

1 hour ago, bpc3qh said:

I was being a bit tongue in cheek (I shouldn't have "declared victory"), but I will also defend my basic premise: the concept of mutants as we are familiar with them was introduced in X-Men 1, even if earlier character can be classified as "mutants". And, from the standpoint of collectability, I don't think many people think of Namor as a mutant in the same way they think of any of the characters introduced in X-Men 1 either.

Okay, I'll bite. What is "the concept of mutants as we are familiar with them"?