• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bigger Silver Age Key: Daredevil 1 or Avengers 1?
2 2

Bigger Silver Age Key: Daredevil 1 or Avengers 1  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the Bigger Silver Age Key: Daredevil 1 or Avengers 1?

68 posts in this topic

Spot on ... art wise alone , and as cool as Daredevil is as a character ...- I feel the cover is nowhere near as iconic as Avengers 1 so the choice is very simple ... Avengers ..there’s too much going on in the Daredevil cover ( for what’s its worth I believe ASM was one of the few to get away with that ) call it blasphemy  - I’d rather have a Hulk 181 Than a DD1 but DD1 is absolutely on my hit list 

Edited by Old_Man_Adam
Clearer

6 hours ago, kimik said:

X-Men 1 has been worth double Avengers 1 in most grades for a few years now. TOS 39 is a better comparable.

That being said, Avengers 1 > Daredevil 1 for me. 

I didn't actually look them up -- I just know I would eventually like to get Avengers 1 in 9.0 and that price is about what I paid for X-Men 1 in 9.0 a couple of years ago.  I did say that X-Men was likely trending up but I honestly haven't followed it that closely.

So, let's look them up.

Avengers 1 in 9.0:  Last sale in GPA (Apr. 2020) = $50,400

X-Men 1 in 9.0:  Last sale in GPA (Nov. 2018) = $51,600

Pretty much exactly what I said above.  (shrug)

If X-Men 1 has doubled in price since 2018, I'm not aware of it but that would very good news for me.

13 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I didn't actually look them up -- I just know I would eventually like to get Avengers 1 in 9.0 and that price is about what I paid for X-Men 1 in 9.0 a couple of years ago.  I did say that X-Men was likely trending up but I honestly haven't followed it that closely.

So, let's look them up.

Avengers 1 in 9.0:  Last sale in GPA (Apr. 2020) = $50,400

X-Men 1 in 9.0:  Last sale in GPA (Nov. 2018) = $51,600

Pretty much exactly what I said above.  (shrug)

If X-Men 1 has doubled in price since 2018, I'm not aware of it but that would very good news for me.

Check out the prices from 2020 for every other grade it is available. It is not close at all now.

And, (worship) on buying the 9.0 X-Men when you did. That was a way better buy than a 9.0 Avengers 1 would have been at that time.

On 5/20/2020 at 9:44 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thank you very much.

I remember some years ago (well before the movies) having the chance to buy an Avengers #1 in 8.5 for something like $5,200 and passing it up.  I ended up spending $11,000 on an 8.0 in May 2017.

1624859557_Avengers1CGC8.0.thumb.jpg.1bd025531bceee632bbb67fa56a3fb38.jpg

My X-Men 1 cost me $45,500 in October 2017.

1745475394_X-Men1CGC9_0a.thumb.jpg.aa0db3c3a99e2376f9802673a36257a1.jpg

Glancing at GPA it seems the Avengers 1 has grown a bit in value ... but I imagine the X-Men 1 has done significantly better.  I'm buying to hold, so I tend to closely track the books on my want list while not paying much attention to the ones I already own.  It will be interesting to see what Disney / Marvel Studios do with the X-Men and what that does to all the big X-Men keys in the years ahead.

P.S.  Back to the original topic, here's my DD #1.

228801680_Daredevil1CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.292a9904cb5dedaa09f2e61dbe4c75fa.jpg

:whatthe:

On 5/20/2020 at 9:44 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thank you very much.

I remember some years ago (well before the movies) having the chance to buy an Avengers #1 in 8.5 for something like $5,200 and passing it up.  I ended up spending $11,000 on an 8.0 in May 2017.

1624859557_Avengers1CGC8.0.thumb.jpg.1bd025531bceee632bbb67fa56a3fb38.jpg

My X-Men 1 cost me $45,500 in October 2017.

1745475394_X-Men1CGC9_0a.thumb.jpg.aa0db3c3a99e2376f9802673a36257a1.jpg

Glancing at GPA it seems the Avengers 1 has grown a bit in value ... but I imagine the X-Men 1 has done significantly better.  I'm buying to hold, so I tend to closely track the books on my want list while not paying much attention to the ones I already own.  It will be interesting to see what Disney / Marvel Studios do with the X-Men and what that does to all the big X-Men keys in the years ahead.

P.S.  Back to the original topic, here's my DD #1.

228801680_Daredevil1CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.292a9904cb5dedaa09f2e61dbe4c75fa.jpg

Wowsa!

Nice books!

3 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

I don't think X-Men 1 v. Avengers 1 is all that close. You have two of the most important characters in Marvel (Professor X and Magneto), plus the idea of "mutants" in the first place.

Great point about the idea of a “mutant” team. The X-Men are an original creation (notwithstanding what Arnold Drake has claimed). The big picture of the history of the American Comic Book places original creations at the highest level of achievement. Superman and Batman are the first and highest Golden Age examples followed by the greatest among Silver’s, Spidey. Bronze gave us Wolverine.
As far as teams, the Golden Age Justice Society is a true first- the greatest team of Golden Age superheroes. The DC Silver Age reintroduced their most successful version of the JSA with the Justice League of America. The JLA was not entirely an original concept like the Legion of Superheroes and Challengers of the Unknown. Still, much is owed to the success of these SA DC teams in terms of their later influence on Marvel’s Fantastic Four.

The FF are the first great original creation of the Marvel Silver Age. A composite of the most successful elements taken from the best of DC’s new JSA and Kirby’s Challies added to the Lee & Kirby version of a “flawed superhero,” FF went on to set the standard for the Marvel SA team. 1963 gave Marvel the next great teams: X-Men and the Avengers.

The X-Men are the second Marvel team based on an original concept. The characters are all new creations and Magneto is for the most part, a villain second only (at times) to Dr. Doom. The FF and X-Men weren’t only defined by the chemistry of their teams but also their foes.

The Avengers, on the other hand, are conceptually similar to the Justice League. Sure, Avengers 1 was the first appearance of the Avengers- a team of Marvel’s most powerful heroes; Marvel’s adaptation of an already successful DC concept - the first appearance of the Justice League in Brave and the Bold 28. The original Avengers team had the mightiest heroes and the promise of Cap’s new line-up never lives up to its potential until the issues introducing Ultron, Vision, and the classic Kree Wars. The Avengers never had a foe on a level with Doom and Magneto unless they had never defeated Korvac.

It comes back to original creations and the concept of a blind superhero in Daredevil is one of Marvel’s most unique additions to its universe of characters. Matt Murdock’s ability to serve justice and help those in need despite his severe handicap is not to be underscored. Keep in mind that preferring one book over the other doesn’t mean the lesser preferred isn’t a classic key. Choosing one over the other isn’t a zero sum game.

Edited by bronze johnny

13 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

The Avengers never had a foe on a level with Doom and Magneto unless they had never defeated Korvac.

The Avengers obviously took on many of the enemies of their individual members, starting with Loki and culminating a few issues later with the Masters of Evil, of which Baron Zemo was a new creation, retconned into an old enemy of Cap's, with the Radioactive Man (Thor), the Melter (Iron Man), and the Black Knight (Giant-Man / Wasp) rounding out the group.  Then they fought Thor's enemies the Enchantress and the Executioner.  Along the way they also went up against the Mole Man's Lava Men, because why not.  And of course the Hulk and Sub-Mariner, both of whom were sometimes friend and sometimes foe. 

I guess the greatest "original" Silver Age Avengers villains would be Zemo, Kang, and eventually Ultron.  I never got much out of Korvac.

While I agree that X-Men 1 is a much bigger key than Avengers 1, and Magneto a greater villain than anyone in the Avengers' rogues gallery, once you get past Magneto the list of Silver Age X-Men villains is super thin.  Putting aside Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, who quickly became heroes, you've got the Juggernaut, the Sentinels, and not much else worth talking about.

19 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

I don't think X-Men 1 v. Avengers 1 is all that close. You have two of the most important characters in Marvel (Professor X and Magneto), plus the idea of "mutants" in the first place.

I think the concept of “Mutants” certainly wasn’t Stan Lee’s, and I don’t believe Mutants were 1st introduced in X-Men #1, considering The Sub-Mariner is the 1st Mutant in the marvel universe.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I think the concept of “Mutants” certainly wasn’t Stan Lee’s, and I don’t believe Mutants were 1st introduced in X-Men #1, considering The Sub-Mariner is the 1st Mutant in the marvel universe.

Had he been called a mutant prior to X-Men 1, though? I was under the impression that the concept of "mutants" as they're familiar to most people hadn't appeared prior to X-Men 1. It seems like, while Namor is suspected of being a mutant in X-Men 6, Sub-Mariner #31 and other attempts to distinguish him in the 60s and 70s don't diminish the importance of X-Men 1 for the concept of "mutants".

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

It was assumed that he was a mutant prior to xmen #1, although I cannot find it in print.

he is also not the oldest mutant, with Apocalypse and Wolverine being older.

But where had the concept of mutants come from prior to X-Men 1, is my question? I don't see how "mutants" as we know them could really predate that book--maybe at best prototype versions of the term in pre-hero books.

Edited by bpc3qh

7 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

But where had the concept of mutants come from prior to X-Men 1, is my question? I don't see how "mutants" as we know them could really predate that book--maybe at best prototype versions of the term in pre-hero books.

I think a google search will get you the results...I just don’t have the time....