• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-men Run (Graded)
3 3

13 posts in this topic

Over the last couple months I have decided to put together a run of graded X-men books. My goal is to have GSX 1 through x-men 109 in CGC 9.2 and x-men 110 through 142 in 9.6. All with white pages. The reason for the grade split is I already had an x-men 101 and 109 in 9.2 and figured I would start the run to match. Also, I cannot afford a GSX1/X94 in 9.6. My only question to anyone who has already done something like this is why is X-men 120 so expensive compared to 121? Isn't 121 the first full appearance of Alpha flight not 120? Heck, x-men 120 is atleast $100 more than x-men 129 and to me 129 is way more significant. Any other thoughts or ideas would be welcomed. Here are the books I already own.

X-men 99,100,101,104,109,129,130

49 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

I don't know the answer to your question, just wanted to point out that you mention 129 where you might mean 121?

I was making a comparison between 120 and 129 since I just purchased the 129 and I paid around $325 for a 9.6W and my next book I was looking at was either 120 or 121. The 120 is at least $475 in 9.6W. At least that is what I see currently on eBay. I also looked on gocollect and they “value” 120 at 500 in 9.6W. Also, 121 says first full appearance of alpha flight on the slab if memory serves and you can have one for under $250 in the same condition. I’ll have them both but it seemed peculiar. Thanks for the feedback guys. It’s fun just talking about it.

20 minutes ago, Shaun C89 said:

My favorite run ever, good luck on putting your set together. 120 might be more expensive since it is a darker cover,

I was thinking the same thing about the darker cover. This was always the run I wanted to do. I have most of these books in raw and varying conditions. I can’t wait till new X-men movies come out. Avengers are great and I do love Cap but the X-men were huge when I was a kid in the early 90’s. The cartoon was a favorite. 

5 hours ago, Summydad1 said:

My only question to anyone who has already done something like this is why is X-men 120 so expensive compared to 121?

Look at the census.

121 has 50% more Universal copies, but 300% more 9.8s and 120% more 9.6s.

17 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
23 hours ago, Summydad1 said:

My only question to anyone who has already done something like this is why is X-men 120 so expensive compared to 121?

Look at the census.

121 has 50% more Universal copies, but 300% more 9.8s and 120% more 9.6s.

Yes census has much to do with it but also its because of the first page after the splash on #120. Alpha is first shown and identified all together in separate panels in their human form. In the last two pages Sasquatch is briefly shown as Sasquatch when he ambushes (human form) Wolverine. So 120 is considered the group's introduction appearance. 121 is first "full" appearance in Alpha's full costume. That appearance in 121 is a super cool splash page with both groups staring each other down in full form 🤘

I'm one #95 away from a 9.8-9.6 GSX1 to #100 run myself. Shouldn't be too long. I'll get there one of these days 

21 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yes census has much to do with it but also its because of the first page after the splash on #120. Alpha is first shown and identified all together in separate panels in their human form. In the last two pages Sasquatch is briefly shown as Sasquatch when he ambushes (human form) Wolverine. So 120 is considered the group's introduction appearance.

No, the demand side of the equation isn't even worth looking at with this kind of supply disparity.

Thought I would revive this thread.  I am working on this run as well, and I noticed that 98 is really pricey on eBay in 9.2-9.6, and it appears to be low supply on eBay, unless maybe this is a census issue as well?  I think there was a 9.2 at $220 a 9.2 at $240ish.  Way above Go Collect.  Is the run really heating up this much or should us interested purchasers hold out for more to come up?    I attached my most recent purchase in the run.

20200914_181842.jpg