• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best score you ever got off eBay...
4 4

152 posts in this topic

I bought 800 Valiant comics for $80 shipped about 1998... the seller listed some of the titles, so I figured 10cents each, shipped to me, was fine.  It had two $50 books in there, so the other 798 were free (probably another $100 worth of $5 and $10 books, too).

Basically, the guy paid me about $100 to get them out of his house.

Nothing specific stands out but some of my best deals were for items that were misclassified and/or described in an odd manner. 

Those types of listings are from the flea-market, estate/garage sale, dumpster diving folks (bless their hearts) who have 500 odd vintage items listed.  Most of them know how to move product quickly by pricing it low and they don't spend a lot of time getting every listing just right... So finding their stuff is like virtual dumpster diving.  It's fun.  I throw out some odd searches once in a while to fish for that stuff.

Ebay has always been my means to buy old comics. I live in a city with very little comic wise. Prior to that, school and such took up my time and focus so I did not hunt as hard as I wish I had 10 years ago.

Here are some memorable ones:

-ASM 97 signed by Gil Kane for under $10

-Batman #251 in a lot of beat up Silver Age Batmans. The #251 was in the best shape of them all, still have it. Paid $3 for it

- A whack of early ASM issues from a seller in Mexico. I sold some from this lot and ended up with a bunch (like ASM #20 and 28) essentially free after I sold a couple from the lot. Oh and the lot only cost me $350

-Last year, a Hulk 180 in a lot of random Hulk books. 

I try to average one decently big score every year or so. Every buy I make I am happy with because I take my time. Some months, its 1 or 2 purchases. Others, I get lucky and buy 10-15 lots with good books. It's what I love to do :)

Edited by comicginger1789

Before FF #52 became super hot (maybe 2011 or so?) I decided to buy a couple of raw copies.  Bought what looked to be a solid 9.2 via eBay for $75.

Opened it up, saw a quarter sized water stain on the splash page.  Returned it. :cry:

2 hours ago, oldrover said:

I’ve had quite a few, but this stands out because I never expected it. Back in 2002, I spent a windfall on Marvel comics. Toward the end, I realized I had no Thor. So, in addition to a JIM 83 that had been restored, I bought a small lot...

JIM 84, 85 and 86... plus JIM Annual 1, and Thor 126. All raw... at auction... for $250. 

Forgot about them until last year when I slabbed and sold them... grades: 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, 6.5 and 6.5. Sweet. :)

Anybody else have a memorable one?

I bought an Avengers 57 Raw advertised as eBay NM- back in like 2008/2009 for $385 and it came back as the 2nd CGC 9.6 (White pages) in CGC Census, that i then sold for $5000 the next month through a private sale here on the Boards...

Edited by KryptoSpidey

A few years ago...

UXM #201 - #340

Annuals #10 - 18

X-Men Vol. 2, #1 - 59

Average 9.4-9.6 condition incl. the keys like 1st Gambit, plus a Jim Lee Havok OA (his X-sketches generally go for at least 250-300), all for 500 shipped.  Audacious best offers sometimes work...

7635CC99-2D67-4FB5-8E02-F7EC119DAAD2.jpeg.7248647016bc635c28569e068cc933fb.jpeg

C2B4EDD3-E1BE-4A29-8CAD-A46CFB51D104.thumb.jpeg.821f97bfea7ed1801cdaabcd253fe1bc.jpeg

Edited by exitmusicblue

3 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

Back in the ‘wild wild west’ days of eBay I bought a raw book from a seller who claimed he lost his comic book store and was liquidating what was left. He demanded check or MO only for a raw book, ‘no returns’ with FB about 10

I took a $1000 gamble

Ended up with this

541E3317-2E0A-4B35-8FE6-6BA56592DDC4.jpeg

mail.gif

Great question! It reminds me how I use feeBay has changed. 

Now when I go to feeBay it's usually to pay up for something I've missed locally. 

But my best deal was a Zap Comix #0 1st for $37 shipped that graded CGC 9.4 and sold for $900. 

I think my best was winning an auction in 2000-2001ish for the first 40 issues of Marvel's Transformers run for about $36.  I still have the original 2-40 that I won, along with the rest of the series that I acquired over time.  I sold the #1 a few years ago, which came back as a 9.0.  That sale covered my original cost plus some.  

Just an fyi, my browser says this thread and the plastic crack thread....

are "not secure" at the top with the url......

I tried updating everything and running scans, I had no problems.....

Yet not sure if it is CGC @Buzzetta

image.thumb.png.43cd5b6ff6d02cc5252468e33325b92b.png