• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best score you ever got off eBay...
4 4

152 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2020 at 9:51 PM, mrwoogieman said:

Here's a good one - sometime back in the very early 2000's I found a seller based in the Philippines that had some incomplete coverless Golden Age books for sale.

Does the seller name dekada_collectibles ring a bell? I ask only because it made me think of an ebay seller I bought from a long time ago (2009, according to my records) who had sold me a ridiculous amount of low-grade GA books for dirt-cheap. They were obscure titles, like all the Timely cowboy romance books. He was located in the Philippines. It always struck me as odd that this guy had all this stuff.

1 hour ago, stock_rotation said:
On 5/16/2020 at 9:51 PM, mrwoogieman said:

Here's a good one - sometime back in the very early 2000's I found a seller based in the Philippines that had some incomplete coverless Golden Age books for sale.

Does the seller name dekada_collectibles ring a bell? I ask only because it made me think of an ebay seller I bought from a long time ago (2009, according to my records) who had sold me a ridiculous amount of low-grade GA books for dirt-cheap. They were obscure titles, like all the Timely cowboy romance books. He was located in the Philippines. It always struck me as odd that this guy had all this stuff.

Well it didn't ring any bells, but I just went through my feedback and see that I left that seller feedback a loooong time ago! Here is the item number listed with the feedback - 726706211. Is there a way to figure out how long ago it was?

edit - all I can figure out is that I left him feedback sometime within his first 100 transactions on eBay, he joined in July 2000 and I joined in December 2000, since then he's racked up 6,000 plus feedback! 

hm

Edited by mrwoogieman

Think I paid $2Kish for a TMNT #1 1st print on ebay several years back. After I got it, another ebayer, who I was in communication with that wanted me to buy his, sent me a message scolding me saying that I was dumb and how it was a FN best case scenario, etc... Well, I had it pressed & graded...came back 8.0 white.

Never met someone on ebay that was so obnoxious, before or since...

Regardless, ended up being quite the deal...even then, but especially after a few years of appreciation.

Edited by Callaway29

On 5/21/2020 at 10:44 AM, Callaway29 said:

Think I paid $2Kish for a TMNT #1 1st print on ebay several years back. After I got it, another ebayer, who I was in communication with that wanted me to buy his, sent me a message scolding me saying that I was dumb and how it was a FN best case scenario, etc... Well, I had it pressed & graded...came back 8.0 white.

Never met someone on ebay that was so obnoxious, before or since...

Regardless, ended up being quite the deal...even then, but especially after a few years of appreciation.

I'm confused.  The seller wanted you to buy the book, but was giving you grief because you overpaid?? 

37 minutes ago, spreads said:

I'm confused.  The seller wanted you to buy the book, but was giving you grief because you overpaid?? 

The guy giving me carp was selling a comparable book, which I didn’t buy. When I bought the other one (not his) I let him know to close out the failed negotiations. That’s when he began to act like a baby...

2 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

The guy giving me carp was selling a comparable book, which I didn’t buy. When I bought the other one (not his) I let him know to close out the failed negotiations. That’s when he began to act like a baby...

Ah I see, a different seller.  Well if he still has the book he shouldn't be crying anymore!  LOL   Still very unprofessional.  

I remember 2-3 years ago there was an ebay promotion where a certain amount of the final value fees would be deducted.. I called when I didn't see my fees lowered. I had sold many items and owed hundreds in fees for that month's invoice.. So a phone rep lady had to go through many of the listings to apply the discount .. she was doing that and she accidentally over applied the discount basically nullifying me of about $200-300 in fees if I can recall..... I was filled with bliss lol.

8 hours ago, littledoom said:

I remember 2-3 years ago there was an ebay promotion where a certain amount of the final value fees would be deducted.. I called when I didn't see my fees lowered. I had sold many items and owed hundreds in fees for that month's invoice.. So a phone rep lady had to go through many of the listings to apply the discount .. she was doing that and she accidentally over applied the discount basically nullifying me of about $200-300 in fees if I can recall..... I was filled with bliss lol.

That's awful, she probably got canned!

On the other end, about 2 years ago, a friend of mine bought a large copper/modern collection and started listing the books at BIN of $2.99.  One book he listed sold within seconds and he called me to ask if I knew why it sold so fast.  He said he decided to list the cartoonish books first since they have little value and he didn't feel like looking them up.  The book was a pristine copy of Batman Adventures 12. 

2 hours ago, Mike's Rack said:

On the other end, about 2 years ago, a friend of mine bought a large copper/modern collection and started listing the books at BIN of $2.99.  One book he listed sold within seconds and he called me to ask if I knew why it sold so fast.  He said he decided to list the cartoonish books first since they have little value and he didn't feel like looking them up.  The book was a pristine copy of Batman Adventures 12. 

i remember seeing that one in the sold listings 

Back in 2002ish, I was in the navy and bored while underway, so I bought a couple runs just to read.  I got a full sandman run (missing like 3 issues in the 30s range) for about a buck an issue, an xmen run from 150-300 missing just a couple minor issues for well under a buck an issue, and an ASM run missing a few minor issues from 230-300 for under a buck an issue (but it included 238, 239, 252, 300) for under a buck an issue.  

I really wish I had bought more back then, as each run I bought had books in then worth well over what I paid, but I was distracted by a little game called warhammer :(

4 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

I really wish I had bought more back then, as each run I bought had books in then worth well over what I paid, but I was distracted by a little game called warhamme

It's been proven they put addictive chemicals in their paint. 

On 6/24/2020 at 11:42 AM, Mike's Rack said:

That's a terrible way to sell....and with BINs at 2.99?  At least run an auction style starting at 99 cents.....reminds me of a collectible dealer that normally didn't comics, sell longs of comics at a flat rate of a buck a piece.  I never saw them, but I think the usual slick dealers were there making out like criminals...several hours later he asked me if their was a price guide or something, 'ah ya, the internet, lol'. 

Edited by spreads

Not sure I'll ever top these but was a couple years after I had gotten back into collecting around 2012ish and was building up my ASM run and hunting for a low grade affordable AF15's which seemed to be going for ridiculous money (boy if only I could have known). I was at work reviewing the emailed searches from ebay for AF15s that day.  I saw one in CGC 3.5 Universal for auction that happened to be ending in the next hour or currently at $5700 but the seller had low feedback and no comic selling history.  I was timid as I had never spent that much on a single comic but it was graded.  I can't recall if I was using gavel snipe back then but I just recall putting in a bid at $6500 figuring it would get beat by the end of the auction.  I got called into a meeting and forgot all about it.  Midway through the meeting I got that ebay app chime on my phone and nearly leapt out of my seat when I saw that I had won it for $5800 with free shipping.  I sold it at a convention 3 years later for $15k and used the money to buy an AF 15 CGC 6.5 Universal priced at $30k at the time.

Next runner up was a raw ASM 667 Dell'Otto variant that appeared to be in 9.2/9.4 condition for just shy of $3k 3-4 years ago.  Pictures were not the best and I was overpaying for the grade at the time but I just wanted a copy.  Got it graded and came back a 9.6!  Value has since shot up to over $10k.