• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best score you ever got off eBay...
4 4

152 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, justafan said:

Not sure I'll ever top these but was a couple years after I had gotten back into collecting around 2012ish and was building up my ASM run and hunting for a low grade affordable AF15's which seemed to be going for ridiculous money (boy if only I could have known). I was at work reviewing the emailed searches from ebay for AF15s that day.  I saw one in CGC 3.5 Universal for auction that happened to be ending in the next hour or currently at $5700 but the seller had low feedback and no comic selling history.  I was timid as I had never spent that much on a single comic but it was graded.  I can't recall if I was using gavel snipe back then but I just recall putting in a bid at $6500 figuring it would get beat by the end of the auction.  I got called into a meeting and forgot all about it.  Midway through the meeting I got that ebay app chime on my phone and nearly leapt out of my seat when I saw that I had won it for $5800 with free shipping.  I sold it at a convention 3 years later for $15k and used the money to buy an AF 15 CGC 6.5 Universal priced at $30k at the time.

Next runner up was a raw ASM 667 Dell'Otto variant that appeared to be in 9.2/9.4 condition for just shy of $3k 3-4 years ago.  Pictures were not the best and I was overpaying for the grade at the time but I just wanted a copy.  Got it graded and came back a 9.6!  Value has since shot up to over $10k.

holy carp.. those are really sensational scores! talk about margins of profit 

On 5/21/2020 at 10:44 AM, Callaway29 said:

Think I paid $2Kish for a TMNT #1 1st print on ebay several years back. After I got it, another ebayer, who I was in communication with that wanted me to buy his, sent me a message scolding me saying that I was dumb and how it was a FN best case scenario, etc... Well, I had it pressed & graded...came back 8.0 white.

Never met someone on ebay that was so obnoxious, before or since...

Regardless, ended up being quite the deal...even then, but especially after a few years of appreciation.

I will never understand the impulse to meddle in other people's business. Several years ago I bought a complete run of Walking Dead, 1-60 or whatever the current issue was at the time. They were advertised as NM, but you could tell they needed a little TLC. I think the BIN was $800 or thereabouts. I figured I had some wiggle room to turn a profit. I bought the books, and soon after (and I don't even know how they got my user id, I guess back then they were still visible?) and I got several messages from a guy chastising me for buying the lot because they weren't NM, and how could I support a dishonest seller, etc. I told him that it wasn't any of his business, and I was sure I'd do ok on the lot. They arrived, and sure enough, they looked pretty good. Sent off 1-10 and the other keys (1st Michonne, Governor, a couple of others) for a press and grade, and every single one came back 9.8, including the #1. 

Dear jerks: leave strangers alone. And for that matter, leave your acquaintances alone too, they probably don't like you either.

29 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I will never understand the impulse to meddle in other people's business. Several years ago I bought a complete run of Walking Dead, 1-60 or whatever the current issue was at the time. They were advertised as NM, but you could tell they needed a little TLC. I think the BIN was $800 or thereabouts. I figured I had some wiggle room to turn a profit. I bought the books, and soon after (and I don't even know how they got my user id, I guess back then they were still visible?) and I got several messages from a guy chastising me for buying the lot because they weren't NM, and how could I support a dishonest seller, etc. I told him that it wasn't any of his business, and I was sure I'd do ok on the lot. They arrived, and sure enough, they looked pretty good. Sent off 1-10 and the other keys (1st Michonne, Governor, a couple of others) for a press and grade, and every single one came back 9.8, including the #1. 

Dear jerks: leave strangers alone. And for that matter, leave your acquaintances alone too, they probably don't like you either.

whatt.. another incredible deal!

Kirby's Bronze age DC books were really unpopular 10 years ago. I bid on a lot which included a few of them and won them for a 10th of the guide value. There was Komandi 2,3 and several forever people, all in great shape. Nothing popular, but the deal was so good, I remember the seller writing " you got a nice deal here" or something of the sort on the printed receipt sent with the books. 

Edited by William-James88

I can't remember a specific deal that stands out. Allot of my big books I bought for cheap off Ebay in the olden days,  but the prices I paid are a more reflection of where the market has gone. In other words,  they may have been good deals back then,  but nothing terribly surprising.

Some of the big ones were Avengers 1 for $300ish, FF48 for less than $200 (F), and a nice ASM 129 for less than $100. I still have all of those today. 

Edited by KCOComics

8 hours ago, littledoom said:

whatt.. another incredible deal!

Yeah, I did ok, would have done much better if I'd held onto them longer. I sold the #1 for $900 (which paid for the whole lot and a chunk of the grading) which was a strong price at the time, I think this was around season 2 of the show. If I'd held onto it for a couple more years, it would have been a crazy good deal. Oh well, as my wife likes to remind me, "You were really happy with the price you got at the time!"

4 hours ago, Nic8612 said:

Not necessarily a deal, I guess, but I ended up with a raw color touched JIM 85 for free because the seller didn't mention it had color touch and refused to let me return it.  eBay ended up refunding me and told me to keep the book

damn I got a few keys like Tec 400 for free in a similar situation... but JIM 85 for free is nuts

6 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I have had some good wins over the years.  These are just what I can find in my most recent phones screenshots and on my purchases list from Ebay.  No where near some of the previous posts.

20200626_034425.jpg.bf037a732a73066ff0b53c41d9731c89.jpg

2-3 years ago I paid $15 for that TPB and sold for $100.. I got it from an original owner who won the mail away giveway contest for the best comic shop's superfan.. really rare

surprised it was only a buck!... was shipping $25?

3 hours ago, littledoom said:

2-3 years ago I paid $15 for that TPB and sold for $100.. I got it from an original owner who won the mail away giveway contest for the best comic shop's superfan.. really rare

surprised it was only a buck!... was shipping $25?

Shipping was $3 and change.. over the years i have managed to get 8 or so of these. Currently i still have 4 that i have kept that have been the higher grade ones and of those it is 2 and 2 . Raffle winner , Shop that the Raffle winner submitted through.  This was the cheapest I have won one on Ebay

I have 2 that stand out.

1. Hulk lot. An auction that contained 2x Hulk 180, 1x Hulk 181, 2x Hulk 182. All the books were around fine to 8.0 type. I paid $600 US for the lot ( this was about 10 years ago )

and I was able to sell the 2x 180, and the 1x182 to recoup the cost of the lot so I ended up with a free 7.0 hulk 181 with excellent color strike and an 8.0 copy of 182 which I still have.

2. I bought a longbox lot of Avengers on Ebay. The auction ended at a horrible time: 3am Christmas morning. I won for a bid of $79, and it was 250 books from early 20's to 250's. Nearly a complete run only missing a couple of books and only a few duplicates.

got this AF15 on feebay around 6-7 years ago. i was told by CGC that it would not likely upgrade so i did not resubmit. i later traded it for a 4.5 plus a ton of cash (oof). that new owner had it pressed and it still came back 4.0. then he sold it and the new owner again had it pressed, finally obtaining the 4.5 that i paid a *&$% ton of money to upgrade to. but since i got this book for a nice price on feebay i can't really complain. i actually spoke to the seller on the phone before pulling the triggger on the sale. sounded like a good guy, and indeed he was. 

amazing-fantasy-4.0.jpg

Edited by www.alexgross.com

Not off eBay... but my BIL attorney had an estate to sell that included 2 long  boxes of comics. He had an offer of $700... asked me if I'd pay more... sight unseen I said, sure, and paid $800. He thought it was mostly monster mags.

Included were the following complete runs: ASM 15-67, FF 31-80 with 2 FF49's, XMen 9-50, JIM/Thor 113-150, and other assorted Marvels. 

Plus a ton of other Gold Key stuff: runs from Tarzan, Twilight Zone, a complete run of Magnus Robot Fighter 4000AD, which I'd never heard of, but which is apparently quite popular. 

And.... the monster mags did a lot better than I thought. Nice haul. :)

Edited by oldrover

bought a graded silver surfer 3 graded 8.5 for $225 about 3 years ago. 

another deal, not off eBay off these boards about 10 years ago. About 30 books  raw for $150. Books included

2 copies she hulk 1 graded 9.8 and 9.6

2 copies ms. marvel 1 graded 9.6, 9.4

1 copy Nova 1 graded 9.8

2 copies black panther 1 graded 9.4, 9.2

Cant remember the rest but a real nice collection.

Mario 

Edited by reptilekingdie