• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best score you ever got off eBay...
4 4

152 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Poekaymon said:

How about a reverse?  The best deal you ever gave someone on eBay?

I'll go first.  I was doing 7 day penny auctions, as I usually do, and accidentally listed one as BIN.  It sold in about 5 seconds.  I honored the sale anyway, and the dude didn't even leave me feedback.

What was the comic? There’s a thread for that btw

Edited by littledoom

49 minutes ago, littledoom said:

What was the comic? There’s a thread for that btw

Oh thought I was being original.  Shoulda known better.  Anyway, it wasn't great.  Was just enough that I had to weigh how much feedback was worth in $.  :)

Back on track: I had been looking for a Spider-Man Platinum 9.8 for a long time where I was actually happy with the copy.  (Notoriously bad book, highly variable even in 9.8.)  After passing on countless pregraded ones, I saw a raw that looked really great, and that I was happier with, based on the cover, than any of the 9.8s.  Still, I had no idea if it had been restored or any of that, and I'm mostly a newbie, so I debated it for a long time.  Finally decided to take a chance and buy the raw and send it in.    After spamming refresh on the CGC status page it came up.  9.8 White, blue label.  Best moment for me since returning to the hobby.

Edited by Poekaymon

35 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Oh thought I was being original.  Shoulda known better.  Anyway, it wasn't great.  Was just enough that I had to weigh how much feedback was worth in $.  :)

Back on track: I had been looking for a Spider-Man Platinum 9.8 for a long time where I was actually happy with the copy.  (Notoriously bad book, highly variable even in 9.8.)  After passing on countless pregraded ones, I saw a raw that looked really great, and that I was happier with, based on the cover, than any of the 9.8s.  Still, I had no idea if it had been restored or any of that, and I'm mostly a newbie, so I debated it for a long time.  Finally decided to take a chance and buy the raw and send it in.    After spamming refresh on the CGC status page it came up.  9.8 White, blue label.  Best moment for me since returning to the hobby.

The last raw copy I saw was at a local show for $90 a few years ago... don’t know if I’ll ever own a chromium 

The Nova 1 SS Wolfman sold about 4 years ago for $300, regret that sale. I was in a scene with Stan in the Spurlock a fans hope. Had no idea we were being filmed and TTA 90 and TTA 85 got signed that day, regret selling. I am looking to see who has them now, looking to buy back, contact me.

Mario

The buyer was Mr illmannered if anyone bought the TTA 85 and 90.

Edited by reptilekingdie

3 hours ago, littledoom said:

The last raw copy I saw was at a local show for $90 a few years ago... don’t know if I’ll ever own a chromium 

They are generally pretty rough.  But it was a childhood dream book along with ol' H181.  Have not really been interested in the chromiums.

Edited by Poekaymon

On 7/4/2020 at 10:37 AM, Poekaymon said:

I'll go first.  I was doing 7 day penny auctions, as I usually do, and accidentally listed one as BIN.  It sold in about 5 seconds.  I honored the sale anyway, and the dude didn't even leave me 

Sold same X-Men #1 in ebay. For around 2k and change. Buyer said well this and that and will submit to CGC. Well of course got a raving review as it came back to him as a 7.5 CGC blue lol. If he still has it I'm  Sure he is very happy. Cheers:martini:

I love reading these big success stories. There are a few of you who hit deals that are truly once in a lifetime. I regularly see threads on other boards that prove the books are still out there, so I try to investigate any possible leads to GA and SA comics, and I'm willing to occasionally gamble on a grab bag.  The best I've personally done was a grab bag with Avengers 1 as the prize book. The difference in this grab bags and others I've seen is that all the non-winning books were Silver Age Marvel, mostly superhero comics. Some of the titles were  JIM/Thor, Tales Of Suspense, Tales To Astonish, Iron Man, ASM, etc. The deal was $15 for 1 random book out of the ones he had pictured, and I bought 20 of them. Most of the books were worth at least $15 anyway, and I didn't own any of them, so I figured I would end up with worthwhile comics anyway. Well, my package came in and I started opening each pack with high anticipation. After 19 packages, I lowered my expectations and prepared to just accept whatever the last book was, and it was the Avengers 1. It was a raw copy, complete with all pages and cover attached. It was definitely rough; maybe 2.0 or 2.5, but I spent $300 to get it along with 19 other Sliver Age Marvels, some of which were valuable.  Doesn't hold a candle to some others here, but I'll keep searching until I just can't do it anymore. There are still goldmines hidden out there.

14 hours ago, Pat Thomas said:

I love reading these big success stories. There are a few of you who hit deals that are truly once in a lifetime. I regularly see threads on other boards that prove the books are still out there, so I try to investigate any possible leads to GA and SA comics, and I'm willing to occasionally gamble on a grab bag.  The best I've personally done was a grab bag with Avengers 1 as the prize book. The difference in this grab bags and others I've seen is that all the non-winning books were Silver Age Marvel, mostly superhero comics. Some of the titles were  JIM/Thor, Tales Of Suspense, Tales To Astonish, Iron Man, ASM, etc. The deal was $15 for 1 random book out of the ones he had pictured, and I bought 20 of them. Most of the books were worth at least $15 anyway, and I didn't own any of them, so I figured I would end up with worthwhile comics anyway. Well, my package came in and I started opening each pack with high anticipation. After 19 packages, I lowered my expectations and prepared to just accept whatever the last book was, and it was the Avengers 1. It was a raw copy, complete with all pages and cover attached. It was definitely rough; maybe 2.0 or 2.5, but I spent $300 to get it along with 19 other Sliver Age Marvels, some of which were valuable.  Doesn't hold a candle to some others here, but I'll keep searching until I just can't do it anymore. There are still goldmines hidden out there.

Uhmm... dude. Avengers 1 in a grab bag.. how long ago was this? So many eBay sellers adversities mega keys and probably never fulfill their promise of ever putting one of them in a bag... you hit a jackpot 

3 hours ago, littledoom said:

Uhmm... dude. Avengers 1 in a grab bag.. how long ago was this? So many eBay sellers adversities mega keys and probably never fulfill their promise of ever putting one of them in a bag... you hit a jackpot 

2012 I think. The movie hadn't come out yet, though.

On 5/7/2020 at 8:06 AM, joeypost said:

Many moons ago I picked up a bunch of Star Wars 1’s from Ed Kalb. I think it was 25 or so copies around $20 each. 

I. turned that $500 investment into a Hulk 1 graded 6.5 from the sales. The vast majority came back 9.8 and for a little while was setting GPA records with sales of $400-475 per book. 

hm

On 7/4/2020 at 3:37 PM, Poekaymon said:

I'll go first.  I was doing 7 day penny auctions, as I usually do, and accidentally listed one as BIN.  It sold in about 5 seconds.  I honored the sale anyway, and the dude didn't even leave me feedback.

I sold a G/S Chillers #1 CGC 9.8 white pages for $100 .:facepalm:  :cry:

Picture332.jpg.6471eb4c44278174b6e4c47bdfbca223.jpg  

I love threads like this! The sharing of stories and successful treasure hunts!

This may not be my biggest windfall dollar-wise from Ebay but it is worth telling.

In 2011, I was looking for decent ASM1 GRR record to go along with the GRR comic I already owned. I found an opened one of good quality listed on Ebay and bought it. When I received it, I took out the record and inspected it. It was in good condition.  I then looked closer inside the jacket and pulled out a ASM 1 GRR comic.  :whatthe:  I think it turned out to be about a 8.0, nothing near-mint.

What a surprise! 

I kept it :smile:

Edited by silverweb