• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Buy Safely via the CGC WTB Forum
3 3

24 posts in this topic

Hi All,

A seller has kindly responded to my WTB request today.  We have agreed a price and are both keen to proceed.

What is the best way to pay/manage the transaction so that both parties are sufficiently well-protected?

I have never bought using this method before and he hasn't sold in this way (I believe), so we are both a little in the dark despite being ready to hit 'go'

Many thanks.

PayPal Goods/Services.

Signature Confirmation for the seller if it's big-$$$$$.

Question is: Will the seller agree to pay the fees out of the agreed price? There may be a renegotiation. If the seller covers shipping, you may want to cover the PP transaction fee. 2c

PayPal covers you as a buyer, though. I've only ever had one very small problem (in 10 years) with a buyer who paid me via PayPal.

To some extent it depends on the price of the item and risk aversion of the parties.

be nice about it, but try to hammer out as many terms as possible

translation fees

paypal fees

possible customs fees Or taxes

damage

return terms

shipping

insurance 

maybe ask for a video of the package being wrapped/shipped/received/opened on both sides

some extra pictures 

Wow - thanks all.  Those additional thoughts are really helpful too.  He is not a member of the Hall of Shame, but no Kudos listing, as not a Seller here before.  I will ensure we agree on all of those extra terms.  Much appreciated folks.

As a buyer always pay with Paypal Goods and services theres fee's but the coverage to protect yourself from scammers is well worth the negotiation or higher price you pay etc.. I've bought off eBay, classifieds, FB, Insta, local guys, cons and shops i've run across a few FB people requesting friends and family PayPal payments and I always see those people later on being flagged for not sending books and scamming people. So life advice never pay with friends and family unless it is a family member who your willing not to get the money back ever. lol 

On 5/7/2020 at 11:25 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

PayPal Goods/Services.

Signature Confirmation for the seller if it's big-$$$$$.

Question is: Will the seller agree to pay the fees out of the agreed price? There may be a renegotiation. If the seller covers shipping, you may want to cover the PP transaction fee. 2c

PayPal covers you as a buyer, though. I've only ever had one very small problem (in 10 years) with a buyer who paid me via PayPal.

Doesn’t matter what the seller “wants”.

It is against PayPal’s terms of service:

• to ask a buyer to cover PayPal fees 
  • Offer a discount to use another method other than PayPal if offering PayPal as a method of payment
  • to allow friends and family transfers of funds to cover goods and service.

The seller covers the PayPal transaction fee.  It’s the cost of doing business.  

Edited by Buzzetta

All going great so far.  The seller has gone 'by the book' and wanted to act in line with all of the good advice listed here.  Book was purchased via a PayPal invoice in the Goods & Services function, and is currently in transit - cannot wait for it to arrive.  Seller offered a competitive price and this included any PayPal fees.

Thanks again for all of the helpful tips and hints.

On 5/11/2020 at 10:37 PM, Buzzetta said:

Doesn’t matter what the seller “wants”.

It is against PayPal’s terms of service:

• to ask a buyer to cover PayPal fees 
  • Offer a discount to use another method other than PayPal if offering PayPal as a method of payment
  • to allow friends and family transfers of funds to cover goods and service.

The seller covers the PayPal transaction fee.  It’s the cost of doing business.  

That's not how most of the people in hobby business work - that I know (which is a lot).

rulez droolz

On 5/12/2020 at 6:17 AM, Chudders said:

All going great so far.  The seller has gone 'by the book' and wanted to act in line with all of the good advice listed here.  Book was purchased via a PayPal invoice in the Goods & Services function, and is currently in transit - cannot wait for it to arrive.  Seller offered a competitive price and this included any PayPal fees.

Thanks again for all of the helpful tips and hints.

Sounds like this transaction is on the rails and will work out well.  Please post a pic of the book when it arrives.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

That's not how most of the people in hobby business work - that I know (which is a lot).

rulez droolz

Believe it or not it does... 

Guess I deal with more reputable people.

I can also honestly say that it cost a seller on these boards a $600+ sale.  

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Believe it or not it does... 

Guess I deal with more reputable people.

I can also honestly say that it cost a seller on these boards a $600+ sale.  

You have much more experience with comics. I'm just speaking about hobbies in general. Comics are not all I dabble in.

Also, I thought that the buyer chooses who pays fees when they do the Services/Goods? Am I remembering incorrectly? I'm not saying that they do right now. I swore this was the case around December 2018.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You have much more experience with comics. I'm just speaking about hobbies in general. Comics are not all I dabble in.

Also, I thought that the buyer chooses who pays fees when they do the Services/Goods? Am I remembering incorrectly? I'm not saying that they do right now. I swore this was the case around December 2018.

Nope, read your TOS. 

BTW... I also deal with Toys like Joes, SW, and Legos. 

Fun thread happened last month as someone in one of the Joe Facebook groups was reported and deleted his thread for demanding F&F which was both against groups rules and PayPal rules. 

Just now, Buzzetta said:

Nope, read your TOS. 

BTW... I also deal with Toys like Joes, SW, and Legos. 

Fun thread happened last month as someone in one of the Joe Facebook groups was reported and deleted his thread for demanding F&F which was both against groups rules and PayPal rules. 

Cue South Park's Human CentiPad...

On 5/18/2020 at 10:31 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

rulez droolz

Then I suggest you find a better sort of person to deal with.  A person comfortable with cheating Paypal will have little qualm cheating a person. 

On 5/7/2020 at 4:38 PM, Chudders said:

Thanks - that is really helpful.  Much appreciated.  It is a US to UK transaction, so I wanted to ensure we are both covered.  Best wishes.  Paul

Hi Paul, 

Here is another money-saving tip for you/your seller/buyer. I live in the UK too. Make sure the you (or the shipper) writes "Comic Book" on the shipping label. This way, the package will pass through UK customs without any tax/duty/fees. Books, including comic books, are duty free into the UK.

Regards

Stephen

5 minutes ago, StephenWA said:

Hi Paul, 

Here is another money-saving tip for you/your seller/buyer. I live in the UK too. Make sure the you (or the shipper) writes "Comic Book" on the shipping label. This way, the package will pass through UK customs without any tax/duty/fees. Books, including comic books, are duty free into the UK.

Regards

Stephen

I just saw that you already have the book. If you paid import duty or VAT, you can claim it back. Look online for form BOR286