• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Buy Safely via the CGC WTB Forum
3 3

24 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, StephenWA said:

I just saw that you already have the book. If you paid import duty or VAT, you can claim it back. Look online for form BOR286

Yep, Paul clued me into that before I shipped it so I marked the package as "printed reading material 0% VAT rated" and I think it went through OK. 

7 hours ago, StephenWA said:

Hi Paul, 

Here is another money-saving tip for you/your seller/buyer. I live in the UK too. Make sure the you (or the shipper) writes "Comic Book" on the shipping label. This way, the package will pass through UK customs without any tax/duty/fees. Books, including comic books, are duty free into the UK.

Regards

Stephen

Thanks Stephen.  Appreciate the tip.  I found out the hard way a couple of times, when the Post Office refused to release the package until I paid the fees,  One of them even had the words COMIC BOOK written in large letters across the box! Best wishes. Paul

15 hours ago, Chudders said:

Thanks Stephen.  Appreciate the tip.  I found out the hard way a couple of times, when the Post Office refused to release the package until I paid the fees,  One of them even had the words COMIC BOOK written in large letters across the box! Best wishes. Paul

The key to duty free is the words "Comic book" on the customs declaration.

I have just paid £13.75 to have a parcel released for delivery. It contains x2 Walking Dead comics.

If the words book/comic book are on the declaration, I will complete form BOR286 for a full refund. If the declaration says (something/anything like) "walking dead collectible", "walking dead 123 and 124", I can complete the same form and send my evidence (e.g. an eBay or PayPal print out) and I will get the duty back, but not the £8 handling fee. A lot of bother for £5.75, so I likely won't...

Key therefore is ALWAYS to impress on the shipper the importance of the words on the declaration.

Cheers

Stephen

PS If your duty numbers (£) ever get big (e.g. charged on mis-declared high value comic books), let me know. I have the chapter and verse on UK customs laws...

On 5/11/2020 at 7:30 PM, Krismusic said:

As a buyer always pay with Paypal Goods and services theres fee's but the coverage to protect yourself from scammers is well worth the negotiation or higher price you pay etc.. I've bought off eBay, classifieds, FB, Insta, local guys, cons and shops i've run across a few FB people requesting friends and family PayPal payments and I always see those people later on being flagged for not sending books and scamming people. So life advice never pay with friends and family unless it is a family member who your willing not to get the money back ever. lol 

Just so all are aware, I made a mistake and thought the PayPal Goods & Services was the same 3% commission as eBay PayPal fees.   It is actually 5%.  Still worth the protection but consider 5% in your deal calculations.