• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just three little letters...
1 1

15 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, valiantman said:

CGC has graded 5,000,000+ CGC slabs covering 200,000+ issues of 30,000 titles.  Sound like a lot of possibilities, right?

25% of all CGC slabs (1,250,000 slabs) have the same three letters in the title...  MAN

That's probably not surprising, Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, even Wonder Woman... but did you know...

I can list five more 3-letter sequences and cover 50%+ of all CGC slabs:

MEN
ANT
ERI
COM
VEN

That's right... more than half of all CGC slabs (2,600,000 slabs) have one (or more) of these six 3-letter sequences in the title.

I only need ten more to get up to 75% of all CGC slabs (3,900,000 slabs):

RED
MAR
ING
WAR
TAL
THE
TER
DER
THO
ANN

Just sixteen little 3-letter sequences... just 48 total letters...

They're almost all MAN, MEN, ANT, ERI, COM, VEN, RED, MAR, ING, WAR, TAL, THE, TER, DER, THO, ANN. :grin:

Yes, I know there are only 26 letters in the alphabet, but there are 17,576 different 3-letter combinations.  I'm only using 16 of them.  

That's 75% of the CGC slabs using just 0.09% of the 3-letter combos.  I know what you're thinking, all you need is one 3-letter combo "CGC" - it's on ALL the slabs.  Yes, you're brilliant.  Good one.  :insane:

Why does it matter?  It doesn't - it's just nerd fun. :kidaround:

(The next one I'd mention is SPA for all you Spawn guys... you don't exactly give CGC a lot of letters to work with.)  lol

Hu-mans are creatures of habit

47 minutes ago, valiantman said:

CGC has graded 5,000,000+ CGC slabs covering 200,000+ issues of 30,000 titles.  Sound like a lot of possibilities, right?

25% of all CGC slabs (1,250,000 slabs) have the same three letters in the title...  MAN

That's probably not surprising, Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, even Wonder Woman... but did you know...

MEN
ANT
ERI
COM
VEN

That's right... more than half of all CGC slabs (2,600,000 slabs) have one (or more) of these six 3-letter sequences in the title.

RED
MAR
ING
WAR
TAL
THE
TER
DER
THO
ANN

They're almost all MAN, MEN, ANT, ERI, COM, VEN, RED, MAR, ING, WAR, TAL, THE, TER, DER, THO, ANN. :grin:

Yes, I know there are only 26 letters in the alphabet, but there are 17,576 different 3-letter combinations.  I'm only using 16 of them.  

That's 75% of the CGC slabs using just 0.09% of the 3-letter combos.  I know what you're thinking, all you need is one 3-letter combo "CGC" - it's on ALL the slabs.  Yes, you're brilliant.  Good one.  :insane:

(The next one I'd mention is SPA for all you Spawn guys... you don't exactly give CGC a lot of letters to work with.)  lol

And there you have it....lockdown fever.

57 minutes ago, G G ® said:

And there you have it....lockdown fever.

This is pretty much how my mind works since I was 7, when I typed out my own book tags using Dewey Decimal System and got mad that some of my books were too thin to read all the letters and numbers on the spine.

However, the reason that I did this is that CGC's competitor has a population report where you have to enter at least 3 letters from the title to get results... so that begs the question "which 3 letters do I enter to get the most data quickly?"  AAA, AAB, AAC, AAD, will only take a few hundred years, so I figured I'd go for something more effective.

Edited by valiantman

12 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

all day today i thought it was Tuesday , but i just found out it is Thursday ... i don't ever remember being two days off before... this lockdown needs to end...

Every day is a Sunday. Days don't seem to have a feel anymore.

9 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:
17 minutes ago, valiantman said:

ERI is not a syllable. :baiting:

Interesting that it’s not one, yet it has two. hm

Is that like calling someone a nut?

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

MEN
ANT
ERI
COM
VEN

RED
MAR
ING
WAR
TAL
THE
TER
DER
THO
ANN

j/k Greg!  We all love you.

20 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

It took me a second to match "ERI" to a title.

Oh - right. Wolverine.

Public school education, man...

Wolverine + Captain America + All-American + G.I. Joe, A Real American Hero + Whatever Mysteries of Whatever + Eerie + any titles which include the word "Series" (thumbsu

Edited by valiantman