• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art-Related Reaction to Being Stuck Home...

15 posts in this topic

Compared to the amazing OA collections so many of you all have here, mine is modest “at best.”  Still, I love every piece I have.  That being said, it has taken me 20 years to acquire the 17 pieces in my collection... each of which is framed and up on the wall of my home office.

Why do I mention this and what does it have to do with being home 24/7 for the last several weeks?

Yesterday? I bought THREE pieces of art. Yeah.  THREE pieces.  Two from one dealer, one from another... 

Impulse buys?  Ummm... probably not.  One page was new to the market I made an offer and was pleased it was accepted, and then the pair was from a dealer I’d dealt with before who was kind enough to cut me an excellent deal because I was buying two at the same time.

But even so....the head shake from my wife was something to see.  LOL

Ironically, the two purchased from Australia should be here Tuesday.  The one purchased from California might not ship until next month.   LOL 

Either way, I’ll be sure to post when they do arrive.  

If anyone else has lashed out with a quarantine-based purchasing berserker rage that would make Wolverine blush, please let me know. Misery loves company!!!

Frank

Oh I can tell you what I bought, obviously I don’t have them to take HQ photos to share, but here’s what I got

2 Spider-Man Sunday strips

1st from 1981 by Fred Kida with very obvious work done by John Romita (I sent it to Mike Burkey to make sure I wasn’t crazy... )

2nd from Savik/Sinnot that was triple signed by both artists and Stan Lee... my first Stan signed piece.  And it’s a nice little standalone Sunday story which I’m fond of.

3rd is the final page of the last issue of really cool X-Men Forever series by Claremont/Grummett.  It’s a great full-page splash of the original X-men team circa 1963.

As I said, pictures to come when in hand.

I bought way more than I planned to last year, so was gonna try to take it easy this year. But since it looks like I’m not going to 5 of the 6 cons I planned on, I’m open to some quarantine buys. Just haven’t seen much I want. :cry:

46 minutes ago, cloud cloddie said:

I bought way more than I planned to last year, so was gonna try to take it easy this year. But since it looks like I’m not going to 5 of the 6 cons I planned on, I’m open to some quarantine buys. Just haven’t seen much I want. :cry:

I think I saw that CAF is doing some sort of virtual con sometime soon.  Based off of what I did yesterday, I believe my next purchase would come with divorce papers so I will be sitting it out not matter what the format is... but nevertheless, you might want to check it out!

4 hours ago, fmaz said:

I think I saw that CAF is doing some sort of virtual con sometime soon.  Based off of what I did yesterday, I believe my next purchase would come with divorce papers so I will be sitting it out not matter what the format is... but nevertheless, you might want to check it out!

Yup, I saw that too. I'm actually planning to set up a virtual "booth".  I'm not as keen on being online the whole time to man my booth though, but we shall see.

Malvin

With most entertainment shut down, my “free” spending money has increased (but the workload continues). Needless to say, my willingness to shop and buy has increased, too. I have also had more free time on my hands to finally get the collection in better order and enjoy some of my “old friends” more.

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

With most entertainment shut down, my “free” spending money has increased (but the workload continues). Needless to say, my willingness to shop and buy has increased, too. I have also had more free time on my hands to finally get the collection in better order and enjoy some of my “old friends” more.

Exactly my situation, to a T...

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

55 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Exactly my situation, to a T...

Same here. I recently reorganised the collection and have bought more art in the last few weeks than in the last few year. Partly as a result of some recent lifestyle changes for the better, but also due to having more time to spend at home. 

11 hours ago, fmaz said:

Details?

23 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Details?

@malvin said he's setting up a booth so he might know more... but otherwise go to the CAF mail page and I believe there's a link.  Actually...

ComicArtLIVE

Here's the link directly to it.  It's at the end of this month.  Seems like an interesting idea!

I'm sure I'll at least take a peek... I mean.. .it can't hurt

(please no one tell my wife!)

8 minutes ago, fmaz said:

@malvin said he's setting up a booth so he might know more... but otherwise go to the CAF mail page and I believe there's a link.  Actually...

ComicArtLIVE

Here's the link directly to it.  It's at the end of this month.  Seems like an interesting idea!

I'm sure I'll at least take a peek... I mean.. .it can't hurt

(please no one tell my wife!)

Thanks ... and Dang! (not s good weekend for me). 

Very interested to see how this goes. 

Working from home, I can better appreciate the art on my walls and in the vault which was typically on weekends....now every day feels like Friday!  However, as I’m much more relaxed than traveling to/from clients so the “escape” value for my art has somewhat diminished.  Interestingly, the more time I spend enjoying my collection, the less susceptible I am to impulse buying, especially at auction.  I still get blown out of most auction targets and win only a few, but not as much “grazing” between tracked lots.  Finally, I’m re-reading way more TPBs, Artist Editions and Omnibuses. 

Believe it or not.... I ordered two pages from Australia, one from California (I'm in Massachusetts). The two from Australia arrived today! LOL  The CA page might not be until next month, or whenever the state allows them to open back up.

Rather than double post the art, I'll post them in the "this week in my art collection" thread for all to see. So check it out there if you'd like! I'll come back and add a link if I don't forget!