• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Managed Payment System
2 2

281 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, MadGenius said:
3 hours ago, oldbsturgeon said:

Global shipping program is fully backed without much hassle 

priority mail international contains hassle

This 100%. Tracking and delivery reliability once the package moves out of the U.S. is a crapshoot. With the GSP the seller's only responsibility is getting the package to the eBay shipping center in KY. If anything happens to the package after that eBay is on the hook.

You left out the buyer gets hosed with fees/customs on his end. 

Edited by fastballspecial

27 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Id would just like to see some data on internationals sales vs the GSP program.

Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy monster trucker.

(I've been itching to use that line for awhile now... so... thank you.)

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Thats ridiculous.  Been selling for almost 20 years never had anything like that happen ever.

You can't dismiss it, since it does happen to some people.  If you sell electronics, you are more susceptible.  A lot depends on the demographic of your typical customer.  There are people, such as yourself, who haven't had the "pleasure" of a fraudulent return. 

I have had a couple only out of maybe 50,000, so can't complain too much.  But I sure didn't like it when it happened, more than aggravating.

Yes I expect a sales drop because of this.

Because of what???  PayPal is still ok for the buyer to use, so nothing different regarding sales.  It looks pretty much the same to the buyer.  There was a time, recently, that PayPal was not an approved method, but that has changed. 

I can think of zero reasons that MP would be a hindrance from a sales standpoint.  Maybe the opposite, as other forms of payment are welcome also.

It also allows them to accrue interest over the month instead of at the end which is a big deal.

Then I guess it has been a "big deal" in YOUR favor all these years, when eBay got paid well AFTER its services were provided.  YOU were accruing the interest, not having to pay when services were rendered.  That seemed ok to you. 

Now they are getting paid AS they provide a service, still not AHEAD of providing it.  That's appropriate.  Where is this interest they are now accruing?  Or are they still ripping you off with a pay-as-you-go format?

24 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

so does that mean that eBay will stop charging for listing fees in advance and only bill us 30 cents per sale?

if so I actually like that better than paying 20-30 cents per listing PRIOR to selling

This has nothing to do with listing fees or store fees.  It's speaking specifically to Final Value Fees.  The listing fees have not changed.

Some people like the GPS, some don't.  Nice that there is a choice.  The main advantage of GSP is the seller being able to ship to KY and wash your hands of it. 

A lot of buyers internationally don't like it because the fees are included right away, done deal.  Without the GSP, they get a delivery and sometimes there is no fee, or a lower than expected fee.  So at least there's a CHANCE that they may get some customs or tax relief, hit or miss.

For the seller who does their own direct international shipping, there are risks.  I used to sell 30% international, no GSP.  Then it started to get a bit sticky a few years ago, some customs issues, some handling issues, some buyer issues.  I didn't lose anything at all on those, all resolved well, but it was like a warning shot, so I got out.

I was lucky, and only lost money at the very beginning by not knowing where NOT to ship (Brazil comes to mind).  I only ship to Canada now, besides the U.S., and I'm sure it has cost me some sales.  But I do sleep a bit better, don't really need the hassles.  Selling enough here, so not a problem.

21 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

This has nothing to do with listing fees or store fees.  It's speaking specifically to Final Value Fees.  The listing fees have not changed.

Hm well according to their wording this seems like there is only one final value fee. Read again:

Once activated for managed payments starting late July, you will pay only one final value fee, consisting of a category-based percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus a $0.30 fixed fee per order, with no third-party payments processing fees (such as to PayPal).   

No where do they mention that we will pay a final value fee in addition to listing fees. Unless you have any information that indicates that elsewhere?

Very curious about this, because that EXACTLY how Amazon works which I always liked better than eBay

Edited by Aweandlorder

Yes, "there is only 1 final value fee".  They are differentiating the current 2 FVF's being melded into 1 fee.  There is always a listing fee on eBay, unless you use the 50 free listings or you have a store with a budget of listings.  They are saying you pay only 1 Final Value Fee instead of a Final Value Fee and a processing fee.  They aren't addressing the listing fees, because thee are no changes there.  Just because they didn't mention listing fees doesn't mean they went away.  They will never go away.  You are reading in something that is beyond the subject of the announcement.  I couldn't bet my life on it, but close.

There may be no way to verify what you speculate.  The current eBay fee pages show a listing fee, have always shown a listing fee, and unless I see the explicit words "There will be no listing fee", I presume there is one.  A moot point anyway, as whatever happens, happens.  We just roll with it.

15 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

unless I see the explicit words "There will be no listing fee"

You just did:

"you will pay only one final value fee"

Which includes, as they state; category-based percentage of the total amount of the sale (thats the 10% fee) , plus a $0.30 fixed fee per order

If you had to pay additional fees, such as the 0.20-.30 cent listing fee, I would imagine that they would include that in that statement PLUS not call it a one final value fee, why wouldnt they? 

But again, we will have to see

Overall, as I said earlier, I always preferred the way that Amazon handled the business with sellers more than eBay. And this new eBay seller accounting strategy looks like its lifted straight off their website. So I cant say I have anything against that. Unless they are gonna charge us some other nonsensical fees

1 minute ago, Aweandlorder said:

You just did:

I would imagine that they would include that in that statement PLUS not call it a one final value fee, why wouldnt they? 

But again, we will have to see

Because a listing fee is NOT a FINAL VALUE FEE.  It's a separate issue.  You keep dragging listing fees into FVF's and they have nothing to do with them.  There has always been a big divide between the two.

This same point of argument has come up before, almost every time the FVF is discussed over the past 20 years.  EBay is always careful NOT to add it to the conversation, just ignoring the listing fees, as they know it's a sore spot.  But every time they change the FVF's, the listing fees are still intact.  Then when questioned about it, eBay says, "We never mentioned listing fees, why would you assume they were being changed or omitted?"  So every 5 years or so it's like the Groundhog Day movie.  People think, by omission, that eBay will abandon the listing fees.  Never happens.

16 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

Because a listing fee is NOT a FINAL VALUE FEE.  It's a separate issue.  You keep dragging listing fees into FVF's and they have nothing to do with them.  There has always been a big divide between the two.

This same point of argument has come up before, almost every time the FVF is discussed over the past 20 years.  EBay is always careful NOT to add it to the conversation, just ignoring the listing fees, as they know it's a sore spot.  But every time they change the FVF's, the listing fees are still intact.  Then when questioned about it, eBay says, "We never mentioned listing fees, why would you assume they were being changed or omitted?"  So every 5 years or so it's like the Groundhog Day movie.  People think, by omission, that eBay will abandon the listing fees.  Never happens.

If thats the case that not just a whole buncha baloney but its also very misleading for them not to mention that. Just when you think eBay is stepping in the right direction

BI238vB.gif

16 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

If thats the case that not just a whole buncha baloney but its also very misleading for them not to mention that. Just when you think eBay is stepping in the right direction

I hear ya, but it's nothing new for eBay.  It's all corporate babble now, spinning it as only eBay can.  It's all about grabbing the 1% that PayPal was netting on a sale.  PP charges 3%, but they don't get to keep it.  They have to give the credit card company that was used most of it.  They are just a pass-through, as eBay is now with their processing fee.  But I'm sure it is a lot of money with the scale of it all.  When they were "related" companies, it didn't matter.  Now it does.

This is only the beginning.  There is still a wide gap between what eBay charges and what Amazon charges.  That should tighten over time.  Why should eBay get less, they will figure. 

Online sales is not the new frontier it once was.  Things have changed, the pie slices are smaller and have multiplied.  Everyone's waiting impatiently for the "next, new big thing".

Edited by Lightning55

28 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

I dont even worry about listing fees. They give you 50 free. Always offer me 200 or 1000 extra. If you list more than that get a store and benefits make up for fees. Omg 20 cents is so much. 

What sucked was top rated going from 20 to 10 percent. I stopped offering returns after that. Wait to sell my bigger stuff when ebay gives me a incentive to.

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

You left out the buyer gets hosed with fees/customs on his end. 

Gsp all the way. If the buyer wants to save $ and expects me to trust his counties customs and postal service and that the buyer isn't a scammer, they can trust me and pay friends and family.

Another gift that comes with managed payments.

Certain items are not allowed to be listed by sellers participating in managed payments, even though those items may be allowed on eBay.

All sellers must follow the guidelines in eBay's Prohibited and restricted items policy. Sellers who are participating in managed payments have some additional restrictions on what they can list.

What is the policy?

Sellers enrolled in managed payments are not allowed to list the following items:

• Adult only items, including movies and video games
  • Airline, rail, and cruise tickets
  • Auction services
  • Bullion
  • Coins & paper money
  • Event tickets
  • Gift cards & coupons
  • Lodging, timeshares, vacation packages, and car rentals
  • Memberships for campground and RV parks
  • Motor vehicles
  • Wine

Listings that don't follow these rules may be removed from the site or from search results. Other actions we may take include lowering a seller's rating, charging additional fees, limiting buying and selling privileges, or suspending an account.

Why does eBay have this policy?

When eBay manages the end-to-end payments experience, there are additional restrictions on what items can be sold. We are working to expand the types of items allowed by sellers in managed payments, and ensure we are compliant to support them in the future.

2 hours ago, Lightning55 said:
4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Thats ridiculous.  Been selling for almost 20 years never had anything like that happen ever.

You can't dismiss it, since it does happen to some people.  If you sell electronics, you are more susceptible.  A lot depends on the demographic of your typical customer.  There are people, such as yourself, who haven't had the "pleasure" of a fraudulent return. 

I have had a couple only out of maybe 50,000, so can't complain too much.  But I sure didn't like it when it happened, more than aggravating.

Sure can it the cost of doing business. Its why I don't sell electronics I sell comics. If you have a high fraud either get better at what you are doing or sell something 
else. Anything else is just noise.

2 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Yes I expect a sales drop because of this.

Because of what???  PayPal is still ok for the buyer to use, so nothing different regarding sales.  It looks pretty much the same to the buyer.  There was a time, recently, that PayPal was not an approved method, but that has changed. 

I can think of zero reasons that MP would be a hindrance from a sales standpoint.  Maybe the opposite, as other forms of payment are welcome also.

Apprehension on the buyer's part new system potential problems. Amazon is easier so and so on. July is a bad month to pick to begin with do I have to go on?