• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Managed Payment System
2 2

281 posts in this topic

I hope I or eBay didn’t mess up... I registered for the new payment system and got a confirmation message saying that I had registered... the. A few hours later I get a reminder message saying I can’t list anymore items after the 15th if I don’t sign up. Hopefully it’s just a courtesy... If I can’t list after this, I don’t know what the hell.

Anyone know how this managed payment process factors with returns? PayPal had made the change earlier in the year where they no longer refunded their portion of the payment when there was a refund. Instead the seller was on the hook for the full refund. Is eBay refunding the selling fees or not under this new model? That could be one helluva positive for this one.

Wife had a guy return a $1400 item not long ago because he wasn't happy with the purchase for whatever reason. she just accepted it to keep him happy. eBay returned the FV fees. But, she had to refund the full sales price and paypal kept the 40ish dollars she had paid in paypal fees on the original sale. 

1 hour ago, asteroid-comix said:

Anyone know how this managed payment process factors with returns? PayPal had made the change earlier in the year where they no longer refunded their portion of the payment when there was a refund. Instead the seller was on the hook for the full refund. Is eBay refunding the selling fees or not under this new model? That could be one helluva positive for this one.

Wife had a guy return a $1400 item not long ago because he wasn't happy with the purchase for whatever reason. she just accepted it to keep him happy. eBay returned the FV fees. But, she had to refund the full sales price and paypal kept the 40ish dollars she had paid in paypal fees on the original sale. 

Not 100% sure, but I'm almost positive that you get all of your fees back on a full refund (so it's better than the PayPal system).  Since there is just 'one fee', you get that back when sending the refund (not sure if they might keep the 30 cents per order fee or the 10 cent insertion fee, but I've sent a few refunds and going off of memory on my last one, it was a $57 refund and it was showing '$57 refund - (roughly) $7 fee refund = $50 refund taken from my pending balance' (or roughly those numbers)).

Verifying what @Action252Kid posted.  On a complete refund, you get everything in Final Value Fees back.  You get the processing back, because it is in the FVF, buy you don't get the 30 cents.  EBay doesn't get the 30 cents either, as that is retained by the cc company, as usual. 

I have a store, so I don't know about the listing fees being returned.  If I do a complete refund, it allows for me to relist the item as part of the return, or I can uncheck the box and not relist it.  Says it's free for the relist, but that may be due to having the store with more of my listing allotment still available.  So that's a bit soupy. 

If you give less than a full refund, or refund some shipping, you get NOTHING back.  You might be able to call to plead your case for the return of some of your fees, like was true in the past, or could be set in stone with the new method, not sure.  Maybe someone has tried and can fill us in.

21 hours ago, Action252Kid said:

Not 100% sure, but I'm almost positive that you get all of your fees back on a full refund (so it's better than the PayPal system).  Since there is just 'one fee', you get that back when sending the refund (not sure if they might keep the 30 cents per order fee or the 10 cent insertion fee, but I've sent a few refunds and going off of memory on my last one, it was a $57 refund and it was showing '$57 refund - (roughly) $7 fee refund = $50 refund taken from my pending balance' (or roughly those numbers)).

That could make it worth it right there

On 10/10/2020 at 3:06 PM, Dark Knight said:

Hey Pete!  Hope you're doing well.  Is the highlighted part still active on ebay?  If it is, then it is a huge benefit for sellers with items over $7500

Hey Brian! So I am glad you asked because I was wrong. I did a bit of digging and found the ebay page on fee structure for managed payments sellers (MPS). Apparently, when you switch to MPS, the FMV fee no longer caps at $750 and is just slightly more complicated.  I recommend reading that page to get a good understanding of what to expect to get charged on your sold items. In most cases, ebay is still a more cost-effective sales channel than ComicLink and ComicConnect, provided you are comfortable handling the packaging and DIY promoting. 

I put together this table below to help summarize with an example what that page explains in regards to the total FMV in $ and % for non-store and basic/premium/enterprise subscribers. Note that the selling fee % is charged on the selling price, tax, shipping and handling. 

Store Type Final value fee % + $0.30 per order (Managed Payment Seller) Fee Amount. (Example: $10000 Sale, 10% Tax, $30 Shipping) Total FMV Fee % Total Sales Amount to Reach $750 FMV Cap
#1 - Non-Store and Starter Store Subscription ($4.99/month plan) 12.35% on total amount of the sale up to $7,500
2.35% on the portion of the sale over $7,500
$1,013.21 9.19% -------
#2 - Basic, Premium, Anchor and Enterprise Store Subscription (Starts at $21.99/month) 11.5% on total amount of the sale up to $2,500
2.35% on the portion of the sale over $2,500
$480.21 4.35% $20,000.00

Based on this quick exercise, here is what I have come to find:

1) Though neither give you the $750 cap, the #2 store type will offer the better rate because the % drops significantly at $2,500

2) With store type #2, you will start to see the fees exceed $750 at the $20,000 mark. That is not bad at all! With #1, you've hit that cap even before a $7,500 selling price.

3) I am not out to win a popularity contest, so I will outright say it... given ComicLink and ComicConnect's 10% consignment, it is in the seller's best interest to list on ebay when the item is projected to sell at or above $2,700 (in case of store type #2) and $8,900 (for store type #1).

Interested to get thoughts from others!

Edited by ComicsAndCode

10 hours ago, ComicsAndCode said:

Hey Brian! So I am glad you asked because I was wrong. I did a bit of digging and found the ebay page on fee structure for managed payments sellers (MPS). Apparently, when you switch to MPS, the FMV fee no longer caps at $750 and is just slightly more complicated.  I recommend reading that page to get a good understanding of what to expect to get charged on your sold items. In most cases, ebay is still a more cost-effective sales channel than ComicLink and ComicConnect, provided you are comfortable handling the packaging and DIY promoting. 

I put together this table below to help summarize with an example what that page explains in regards to the total FMV in $ and % for non-store and basic/premium/enterprise subscribers. Note that the selling fee % is charged on the selling price, tax, shipping and handling. 

Store Type Final value fee % + $0.30 per order (Managed Payment Seller) Fee Amount. (Example: $10000 Sale, 10% Tax, $30 Shipping) Total FMV Fee % Total Sales Amount to Reach $750 FMV Cap
#1 - Non-Store and Starter Store Subscription ($4.99/month plan) 12.35% on total amount of the sale up to $7,500
2.35% on the portion of the sale over $7,500
$1,013.21 9.19% -------
#2 - Basic, Premium, Anchor and Enterprise Store Subscription (Starts at $21.99/month) 11.5% on total amount of the sale up to $2,500
2.35% on the portion of the sale over $2,500
$480.21 4.35% $20,000.00

Based on this quick exercise, here is what I have come to find:

1) Though neither give you the $750 cap, the #2 store type will offer the better rate because the % drops significantly at $2,500

2) With store type #2, you will start to see the fees exceed $750 at the $20,000 mark. That is not bad at all! With #1, you've hit that cap even before a $7,500 selling price.

3) I am not out to win a popularity contest, so I will outright say it... given ComicLink and ComicConnect's 10% consignment, it is in the seller's best interest to list on ebay when the item is projected to sell at or above $2,700 (in case of store type #2) and $8,900 (for store type #1).

Interested to get thoughts from others!

So prior to switching to MPS, does the FVF still cap at $750 for either #1 or #2?  what about for non-store subscribers?

40 minutes ago, justafan said:

So prior to switching to MPS, does the FVF still cap at $750 for either #1 or #2?  what about for non-store subscribers?

Good question...according to this ebay page, accounts not activated for MPS, the $750 cap applies for both #1 and #2.

Edited by ComicsAndCode

17 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Finally got my "switch or else" email from eBay.

Or else it is.  Suck it, eBay.

I got an email from them yesterday stating that since I hadnt signed up for their managed payments I can no longer list new sale items. (They sent the switch or else email back in July)  I listed new items today so who knows when they really will turn off my account to new listings.  

It's really not that bad - definitely not worth giving up on E-Bay.  I get deposits a few times a week like clock work and I really don't see much difference other then not having to transfer funds over from Paypal to my account.

If you made the change step by step (got your bank account in order, filled out the registration, etc.), it wasn't an arduous procedure.  In any case, it's not terrible, but we all could have done without the need for the change, which only benefits eBay

A couple of months into it for me, it's the new norm.  The buying end of MP is a bit clunky if you want to use PayPal.  An extra step at checkout as it builds a "bridge" between eBay and PP, more time-consuming.

Half a month into this system, and it is taking entirely too long to receive my payment in my bank account. It’s taking anywhere from 5-8 days for payments to show up in my account. Meaning, many times my item is already shipped and in possession of the buyer before I even see any money.

I really, really hope this changes or I’m going to have a hard time getting used to this.

I still do everything as I always have, but I'm expecting the hammer to drop eventually and I will be forced to go to this new system. I wonder if the delay has anything to do with the fact that my last name starts with a 'W'? Anyways, I was wondering what happens to all your listings that are already up? If I'm remembering correctly, I had to choose PP as the preferred method of payment.

13 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I still do everything as I always have, but I'm expecting the hammer to drop eventually and I will be forced to go to this new system. I wonder if the delay has anything to do with the fact that my last name starts with a 'W'? Anyways, I was wondering what happens to all your listings that are already up? If I'm remembering correctly, I had to choose PP as the preferred method of payment.

From a listing standpoint, it's seamless.  Your existing listings just chug along as they did before. You see additional ways to pay - the 4 major credit card companies, PayPal and Google Pay. 

All the changes are on the back end, during checkout.  And from there, processed through eBay by AdYen, who you don't really see working.  Then it heads to your checking account, which takes a while, not instantly available like it was with PayPal. 

If you always moved your money from PayPal to your checking account, it is a similar net effect, but a a day or two slower.  If you used your money while in your PayPal account, to buy something on eBay, that's a new problem to deal with.  Getting it into your PayPal account means a transfer initiated in PayPal to dig the money out of your checking account, and that can take about 4 business days.

It seems to have disappeared in Oz land.

One day we were getting mails about registering out the wazoo, now, nothing.

Having some problems during 'testing'

Why would ebay (Australia , really Phillipines) need to test whats already running in USA?

Strange.

12 hours ago, Lightning55 said:
13 hours ago, Gaard said:

From a listing standpoint, it's seamless.  Your existing listings just chug along as they did before. You see additional ways to pay - the 4 major credit card companies, PayPal and Google Pay. 

All the changes are on the back end, during checkout.  And from there, processed through eBay by AdYen, who you don't really see working.  Then it heads to your checking account, which takes a while, not instantly available like it was with PayPal. 

If you always moved your money from PayPal to your checking account, it is a similar net effect, but a a day or two slower.  If you used your money while in your PayPal account, to buy something on eBay, that's a new problem to deal with.  Getting it into your PayPal account means a transfer initiated in PayPal to dig the money out of your checking account, and that can take about 4 business days.

And, if you use eBay to print your labels, you need to switch to use "Pending Payments" instead of PayPal for shipping. Otherwise you will eventually run out of money (as money no longer goes automatically into PayPal).

You will also start seeing a lot of emails when you get paid/money is sent to your account.

Here's a tip: Don't do what I just did today.  :facepalm:

I needed to change my Managed Payments destination checking account.  I opened a new business account at the bank a few days ago, and then I made the change on eBay

It will take them at least 48 hours to approve the account changeover.  In the meantime, they PAUSE YOUR PAYMENTS completely, no longer sending to the old account while they check on the new one. 

My 2 heaviest deposits are on Tuesday and Wednesday when they pay out from weekend sales.  So that's on hold for a.... while??? 

No warning like "If you change your account, payments will STOP until we figure out the transition."  Nope, just letting me know AFTER the fact in an email.  Stuck now.  It's a company that just keeps giving you reasons to HATE THEM. 

If I had known, I could have waited 2 days and done it during SLOW paydays.  And now you know.