• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Managed Payment System
2 2

281 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Gaard said:

Got the dreaded email yesterday. Got till May 28th to comply. Haven't decided yet if I just want to wave bye-bye to Ebay and go the consignment route from now on, or simply comply.

Is it true, I can still buy using PP, just not sell without Managed Payments?

Yes, it is true.  You can purchase using PayPal anywhere on ebay, whether the seller is in MP or not.  At least that is how it is at this point in time.  You never know when things can change, but eBay would shoot itself in the foot (again) to shut down that method. 

When THEY owned PayPal, they used to proclaim that it was the ONLY safe way to pay or get paid.  Eating some crow now.

13 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

I’ve been using it for several months now and have been more active selling on eBay than ever before. Managed payments is fine but I wish it were immediate like PayPal 

I too have been active in selling on eBay in recent months and have used managed payments for the past few months. It is a slower payout process than PayPal, but it saves some fees and has worked out okay so far.

One thing that happened which I still do not understand is why after I switched to managed payments, I received a PayPal payment for my biggest sale so far this year (Amazing Spider-Man #300 CGC 9.6 at approximately $2K). It was nice in the sense that my payment was more immediate through PayPal, but I was hit with both eBay and PayPal percentages/fees. Perhaps I am failing to understand something about this process but currently do not understand why that one big sale went through PayPal when all other sales since switching to eBay Managed Payments has been through eBay.

Edited by comicdiablo

2 hours ago, comicdiablo said:

I too have been active in selling on eBay in recent months and have used managed payments for the past few months. It is a slower payout process than PayPal, but it saves some fees and has worked out okay so far.

One thing that happened which I still do not understand is why after I switched to managed payments, I received a PayPal payment for my biggest sale so far this year (Amazing Spider-Man #300 CGC 9.6 at approximately $2K). It was nice in the sense that my payment was more immediate through PayPal, but I was hit with both eBay and PayPal percentages/fees. Perhaps I am failing to understand something about this process but currently do not understand why that one big sale went through PayPal when all other sales since switching to eBay Managed Payments has been through eBay.

Yeah the rollout was weird. I couldn’t list silver for like two months 

I think I have been fair in regards to eBay's Managed Payments, but the following scenario is pretty lame. This is the first time I have noticed it. Two buyers bought separate items over the weekend. Both of those sales were cancelled by the buyers. No problem, I refund their money. My payouts are set for weekly. Today's payout looked a bit light. eBay took the refund for both items out of my available funds. The thing is, eBay has not yet given me credit for their payments. The funds for their purchases will show up in my payout a week from now. My weekly payout was reduced by the amount of the refund, but I never received their money to begin with. I just floated eBay $400 for a week. Stupid. 

Yes, this refund aspect is ridiculous.  And don't expect it to change.

When the buyer requests a refund, explain to them that you don't have their money yet.  When eBay makes the transfer, you will refund the money. 

I don't mean wait until the money is transferred into your bank account, just wait until the processing is completed and it showing as a positive balance in your MP account.

Most people are understanding, but it shouldn't even be necessary to inconvenience the buyer this way.  Keep in mind, YOU did not make the mistake, the buyer did.

Oh, and the buyer doesn't have the refund dollars right away either.  He has to wait for it to clear back into his account.  Just a garbage system.

Edited by Lightning55

Ugh, first week using the new managed payments system I knew I was not going to like and I hate it even more now.  I'm not sure it's worth selling anything of real value on there any more.  I just don't really see it worth it even with all the exposure your items get if you have to list them for unsellable prices and wait a week to get your money.  Yes, a week.  With Paypal, I would have the money in my paypal account the same day the buyer paid which I could actually use to buy things.  OR it would only take 1-2 days to transfer that money from Paypal to my bank account including saturdays.  With managed payments, you first have to wait 1-2 business days (not including holidays and weekends) for ebay to actually process your payment meaning by the 2nd business day you still won't see the money in your bank account.  Instead, once ebay finishes processing your payment on the 2nd business day, you then have to wait 1-3 business days for it to actually transfer to your bank.  Hence, it could take up to 5 business days if you are paid on a Monday OR up to 6 total days if you are paid on a Friday.  If there's a holiday involved it could take a full week.  Meanwhile, you're fully expected to ship the item in the 1-2 days after sale despite not knowing whether you'll even be paid. 

For comics, ebay's going to become the wasteland of unsalable drek.  I'm going to be testing out some other venues for the higher dollar stuff.  Wish there was a place I could leave a full review for ebay.

does anyone know how to UNLINK my bank account info from ebay, or close just my seller account? i added it a few weeks back, then decided never to sell there again. they charged my account a small listing fee which is strange since my payments says that fees will be charged to my credit card, not my bank account, bank account is for payouts only. in any event, when i try to remove the bank account on my ebay PAYMENT OPTIONS page, it wont let me remove it without adding a different one. i'm trying to avoid what i know will be a very anger inducing phone call to an ebay customer service rep in Bangalore. 

I got a $5 coupon for eBay that I could use only with a credit card. Of course they suggested I use it on a $3k book, lol.

Instead I bought some comic bags. When I checked out, they had a check off allowing them to keep my credit card #, I unchecked that. 

So it seems to me that they are trying to move away from PP.

I'm buying very little on eBay lately after many years of buying/selling there. I don't want to get into the managed payment system and I can't find what I want, I have to wade through a ton of listings that paid for advertising instead of getting the list of all available options I keep asking for...and you can only sort by 2 things. So if I want GA DCs, I can't put in distance, or anything else  and it keeps defaulting to 25 miles from my house.

57 minutes ago, alexgross.com said:

does anyone know how to UNLINK my bank account info from ebay, or close just my seller account? i added it a few weeks back, then decided never to sell there again. they charged my account a small listing fee which is strange since my payments says that fees will be charged to my credit card, not my bank account, bank account is for payouts only. in any event, when i try to remove the bank account on my ebay PAYMENT OPTIONS page, it wont let me remove it without adding a different one. i'm trying to avoid what i know will be a very anger inducing phone call to an ebay customer service rep in Bangalore. 

Related question - has eBay stopped handing out those 50 free listings per month that were a staple for so long?  I don't sell there anymore because of the switch over to mismanaged payments, so I don't have any firsthand knowledge.  But several days ago I had messaged a seller offering to buy a book at his current list price (make an offer wasn't enabled), and he declined because it had cost him to list the book (not sure why that was a problem, but no biggie, I got a better book a couple days later :bigsmile:).

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

Related question - has eBay stopped handing out those 50 free listings per month that were a staple for so long?  I don't sell there anymore because of the switch over to mismanaged payments, so I don't have any firsthand knowledge.  But several days ago I had messaged a seller offering to buy a book at his current list price (make an offer wasn't enabled), and he declined because it had cost him to list the book (not sure why that was a problem, but no biggie, I got a better book a couple days later :bigsmile:).

"declined because it had cost him to list the book"

How much was that - 10 cents????  A quarter???? Yeah, that's a deal breaker.

To answer your question, there are all sorts of free listings (zero insertion fee listings) available.  Whether you have a store or not, starting at 200 free per month and up: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/free-listings?id=4163

2 hours ago, alexgross.com said:

I think you have to call.  I don't see any function to close just the selling portion of your account, just to change account numbers.  Maybe someone else has experience removing their seller account.

EBay recently changed over to all funds, in or out, going through your bank account that is bolted up to MP.  So if you had a fee charged and no sales to offset it, they will draw it from your bank account even if you have a cc attached.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2021 at 9:11 AM, alexgross.com said:

Call your bank first and explain the situation. They may be able to come up with an easy solution.

4 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Call your bank first and explain the situation. They may be able to come up with an easy solution.

On 6/6/2021 at 10:13 AM, Lightning55 said:

I think you have to call.  I don't see any function to close just the selling portion of your account, just to change account numbers.  Maybe someone else has experience removing their seller account.

EBay recently changed over to all funds, in or out, going through your bank account that is bolted up to MP.  So if you had a fee charged and no sales to offset it, they will draw it from your bank account even if you have a cc attached.

i called feebay, no dice. they said i have to close my whole account. spoke to my bank too, no luck, they cant do anything if i've already given a merchant permission and access to charge me fees directly. so, after almost 25 years, i am faced with the decision on whether or not to close my feebay account, with almost 500 positive feedback. all i can say is, if youre just buying on feebay and not selling, dont give em your bank info. thanks alot feebay you f%&*s.

15 minutes ago, alexgross.com said:

i called feebay, no dice. they said i have to close my whole account. spoke to my bank too, no luck, they cant do anything if i've already given a merchant permission and access to charge me fees directly. so, after almost 25 years, i am faced with the decision on whether or not to close my feebay account, with almost 500 positive feedback. all i can say is, if youre just buying on feebay and not selling, dont give em your bank info. thanks alot feebay you f%&*s.

That's just ridiculous.  I hope you got an eBay CS rep that is wrong about that, and that there is a way.  I mean, for the rest of us, that is.  I'd try calling one more time just to be sure.  Different CS reps have different info, it seems.

A workaround is to open another basic checking account with a minimal amount of money in it, like $20.  Go to eBay and change to that account.  The whole process can probably be done online in a few days.  Then just close that account. 

That will leave your more important checking account intact, your ebay username intact. 

Still refuse to activate managed payments.   Has everyone here given them m your last four of social?

Yes I have.  I've been using the new system since near the beginning.  I don't know the nuts and bolts of it and don't stress over the details but it has worked great for me.

From a historic point a view ebay should remember that no matter how big you THINK you are at some point someone is going to come up and kick your , Sears never saw K-mart coming and K-mart never saw Walmart coming until it was to late, GM/FORD never thought that a small car company from Japan could build a better car and today Honda and Toyota dominate the world market, Like many before them what ebay has failed to understand and continues to seem oblivious to is the fact that most sellers stay there because there is no other real option, but they do not recognize that a large percentage of those sellers despises there platform & there company which is ironic because without the sellers the buyers have nothing to buy, There stock may be high right now but its all short term thinking. Go do a price search many items are no longer there as in years past, the customer service is awful ( is it to much to ask to be able to understand the rep calling me back with a problem I am having?) Reality is MP sucks I did the work I want my money, NUFF SAID its almost like a step BACK TO 1998 Paypal was the best ( I built my business on the PP loans). Now I find myself constantly moving money around to get things done. The day will come when we are talking about some new platform and I can't wait to tell ebay to take a hike..........." its inevitable"