• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Managed Payment System
2 2

281 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Shrevvy said:

Managed payments refunds the entire amount including fees less the 35 cent per transation fee. It is better than Paypal.

You get it all back except $.30 per transaction, NOT $.35.  I know, no big difference.  BUT.....that is only for FULL Refunds.  If you give a PARTIAL refund, you don't get ANY of the fees back.  You lose the whole 13% on that partial amount, not just 3%.  But eBay has had it that way for quite a while.

Used to be that you could call eBay after such a partial refund and lobby to get your fees back for that portion.  The customer service person would help you out.  Now there is no function for that refund of fees (except full purchase), and the customer service person can't even intervene.

If you refund $10 for combined shipping, for instance, it is also costing you $1.30 in fees that you can't recoup.  You could try to lower the refund by the fee amount, but that might sour a customer.  For such small change, probably a bad idea in a business sense.  If it's a large refund, maybe necessary.

1 minute ago, Lightning55 said:

You get it all back except $.30 per transaction, NOT $.35.  I know, no big difference.  BUT.....that is only for FULL Refunds.  If you give a PARTIAL refund, you don't get ANY of the fees back.  You lose the whole 13% on that partial amount, not just 3%.  But eBay has had it that way for quite a while.

Used to be that you could call eBay after such a partial refund and lobby to get your fees back for that portion.  The customer service person would help you out.  Now there is no function for that refund of fees (except full purchase), and the customer service person can't even intervene.

If you refund $10 for combined shipping, for instance, it is also costing you $1.30 in fees that you can't recoup.  You could try to lower the refund by the fee amount, but that might sour a customer.  For such small change, probably a bad idea in a business sense.  If it's a large refund, maybe necessary.

Couldn't remember 30 or 35 cents and didn't feel like looking it up as it didn't change the point. I have not issued a partial refund under managed payments and did not know that.

Following up - deposit to my bank has now been put back a day.

Is this normal?

Was due 11th feb, now 12th feb

Funds show as available.

New system here in Aus - but it IS my $$ not ebays'

2c

Just now, HotKey said:

I'm switched over and I got my payment the day after tracking was entered. 

Took me SEVEB business days when they started this. A little better but not by much...

On 2/11/2021 at 4:01 AM, Beige said:

Following up - deposit to my bank has now been put back a day.

Is this normal?

Was due 11th feb, now 12th feb

Funds show as available.

New system here in Aus - but it IS my $$ not ebays'

2c

Since I've been using it (January 1) there have been two instances where the payouts "failed". At first I thought it was a problem on my end, and I called my bank and they made it clear that the problem wasn't on their end. Looked online, and Twitter was blowing up about the failed payments, as they apparently happened to everyone. It's happened twice now. In both cases, they got it cleaned up and the payouts went out later in the day. Not sure if this is related to your issue, but yeah, it's still not a perfectly smooth process. (And nothing is perfect or smooth about having to wait several days for them to get your money to you, the jerks.)

Thanks as per above.

It does take some getting used to.

Even with cheap items I'm still wary of posting as funds show unavailable but ebay tell you to send.

NOT liking this 30c per transaction charge. I sell a ton of cheap stuff - easy pack and send so no drama but the 30c does make a difference - I guess I'll have to add it into postage pricing.

It's only per transaction, not per item yeah?

1 hour ago, Beige said:

NOT liking this 30c per transaction charge. I sell a ton of cheap stuff - easy pack and send so no drama but the 30c does make a difference - I guess I'll have to add it into postage pricing.

It's only per transaction, not per item yeah?

To my knowledge, the 30c per transaction thing is unavoidable.  PayPal charged it, every time.  EBay charges it.  If you are set up to accept credit cards with a merchant account, you pay it.  Anything involving a credit card has the charge, because that's who initiates it - the credit card companies.  I have heard of some program PayPal offered where the charges were lower for low-priced items, and saw some people complaining that the new eBay program didn't offer anything like this.  I am not familiar with that program, some research needed there.  Maybe "micro-payments"?  But maybe a moot point now anyway.

The situation where the 30 cents shouldn't be charged is when it doesn't involve a credit card.  Like if you have live funds in your PayPal account and pay another PayPal account.  No credit card involved, but PayPal charges it anyway, out of habit (and why not? We'll pay it.)  And charges the 3%, too, while only electronically moving the name of who the funds belong to, no money left their possession.  Free money for PayPal.  Unless it's Friends and Family, then there are no charges at all.

Originally at eBay, when MP was just forming, there was going to be a $.30 per transaction charge PLUS $.25 per item (after the first item) on an invoice.  So if you sold 10 things for $3 each with free shipping, it totals $30.  The fees would be $.30 plus $2.25 for the extra 9 line items, total processing fees $2.55.  That's 8.5% just for the processing, not counting your Final Value Fees.  Under the previous method, the PayPal fee would have been 2.9% +30cents = $1.17, less than half the proposed eBay processing fee.  EBay moved off of that plan and did the $.30 per transaction instead.

5 minutes ago, BishopT said:

Anyone else seeing a significant lag on payout notifications? I should have received a message for payout from sales for Friday of last week, and here I sit into the early evening of Tuesday and no message or notification.

Could be because Monday was a holiday 

22 minutes ago, BishopT said:

Anyone else seeing a significant lag on payout notifications? I should have received a message for payout from sales for Friday of last week, and here I sit into the early evening of Tuesday and no message or notification.

You may have gotten it Friday.  I did, 2 payments that day, which was totally unusual.  See earlier post I made.

1 minute ago, Lightning55 said:

You may have gotten it Friday.  I did, 2 payments that day, which was totally unusual.  See earlier post I made.

No, I mean the notification for items I had sold on Friday. I had a payout on Thursday for what I had sold on Tuesday (no sales Wednesday or Thursday for me), and that money I think went through this morning. Normally I’ll get the notification for Friday’s sales on Monday morning by early afternoon at the latest, then Saturday and Sundays sales on Tuesday AM, then those funds show up the following early AM hours.

34 minutes ago, BishopT said:

No, I mean the notification for items I had sold on Friday. I had a payout on Thursday for what I had sold on Tuesday (no sales Wednesday or Thursday for me), and that money I think went through this morning. Normally I’ll get the notification for Friday’s sales on Monday morning by early afternoon at the latest, then Saturday and Sundays sales on Tuesday AM, then those funds show up the following early AM hours.

Transactions take different times to complete, and there's no transparency as to what is going on in the background, why some things take longer than others. 

But you can see each individual transaction and its status by looking at your MP summary, and the detail list on the left side of the page here: https://www.ebay.com/sh/fin/summary

The blue box tells you what is available, when something was last sent, when something is scheduled to be sent.

Below that, you can see if you have funds on hold, or how much is still processing.

Further down is the Recent Transactions box.  In there is a list of each individual sale and its status.

I must have notifications turned off, because i don't get anything from them. I just check the "Payments" tab in the seller hub to see what stage my money is at. Money I received Friday and through the weekend would normally convert from pending to Available on Monday, then "payout" on Tuesday, and then arrive in my account on Wednesday. But due to the holiday, I assume, the payments only converted to available today, which means they'll pay out tomorrow, and I'll get it Thursday.

Really, really hating it.

On 5/7/2020 at 7:50 PM, GeneticNinja said:

I haven't received an email yet. But I don't sell on ebay anymore anyway. I recommend everyone I can not to sell there unless you want to take the risk of having someone steal from you or do a switch item scam.

Yeah, I tried to convey this a number of years ago and the lynch mob came out to tar and feather me for making stuff up, when I tried to put our a warning of it.  It's interesting how that after that that more people came forward claiming the same thing happen to them.  Even on FB comic groups people are claiming the same thing, where you can send a book out and the buyer claim that the book was damaged, they ask for a full refund or a partial refund.  If you choose for the full refund what they send back to you is their under copy that is in a lower grade, so they upgraded their book(s) for free, or if you choose the partial refund, they get your book for a lower cost.  This HAS happened plenty of times to people.

I don't sell a ton on ebay, but I usually have 10 or so items up.  I sold a small collection of keys last year without MP with no problems, as usual.  Since the force over notice, and the payout delay...yuuukkk.  I can see a time shortly where I just pull everything down and screw it.  I would usually like to think that upgrades and changes are to make things better and easier for buyers and sellers. I can honestly say that as a buyer it doesn't change anything for me but as a seller it's a much less pleasant, easy, better experience all around. 

Edited by Spidey 62