• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Akira Yasuda Street Fighter & Yosh!taka Amano Final Fantasy Original Video Game Art Videos

18 posts in this topic

I just found these videos. They are showing treasure to video game fans.

People who like Street Fighter might like this one. I believe there are some Chun Li animation cels in there from the Street Fighter II animated movie. But more interesting is when he was going over some original artwork. He showed some of the animation frame sketches of Wolverine from the X-Men fighting game.

He goes into his art storage rooms with framed art and flat files with tons of original video game artwork from the Final Fantasy series. It's like a treasure room. I'm still waiting to get his poster from the Bloodstained Kickstarter video game myself.

Edit - I had to edit his name for the title. Silly auto correct for personal names...

Edited by GeneticNinja

From the western POV, there's also a nice interview with Tom Dubois who did all the western konami/ ultra art for a period.    Somehow the English language version seems pulled from youtube.   The spanish language version of the video is here    

On 5/8/2020 at 11:04 AM, Bronty said:

From the western POV, there's also a nice interview with Tom Dubois who did all the western konami/ ultra art for a period.    Somehow the English language version seems pulled from youtube.   The spanish language version of the video is here    

Thanks. I purchased games because of this guy's artwork. Too bad I don't remember much Spanish from those old classes...

6 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

Thanks. I purchased games because of this guy's artwork. Too bad I don't remember much Spanish from those old classes...

Yeah, I'm sorry about that.   I don't know what happened to the English version.

If you check about Box Art Doc episode 4, there is another English language interview with Tom there.   There is a facebook group for that documentary, Rob McCallum might be able to get you a copy?

On 5/14/2020 at 10:07 AM, Bronty said:

Yeah, I'm sorry about that.   I don't know what happened to the English version.

If you check about Box Art Doc episode 4, there is another English language interview with Tom there.   There is a facebook group for that documentary, Rob McCallum might be able to get you a copy?

The retro gaming channel that did the original around a year ago. 

On 5/14/2020 at 9:07 AM, Bronty said:

What's this Box Art Doc? Do they have a lot of episodes on video game box art? I guess this is the trailer.

http://zerocoolfilms.com/portfolio-items/video-game-box-art/

34 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

The retro gaming channel that did the original around a year ago. 

Thanks.

Speaking about box art, you don't know how much the box for Deadly Towers pissed me off. I thought I would get a great game like Castlevania. Instead I got one of the worst games I've ever played.

Edited by GeneticNinja

3 minutes ago, GeneticNinja said:

What's this Box Art Doc? Do they have a lot of episodes on video game box art? I guess this is the trailer.

Thanks.

Speaking about box art, you don't know how much the box for Deadly Towers pissed me off. I thought I would get a great game like Castlevania. Instead I got one of the worst games I've ever played.

I have a soft spot for that one, even as inscrutable as it was at the time.

14 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I have a soft spot for that one, even as inscrutable as it was at the time.

I thought I had to be missing something when I was a kid. But that game was terrible. Everything from the music to the graphics and gameplay. I still feel that the box art was the biggest con. How could they use great artwork like that on such a poor game? How could they even release that game with the Nintendo seal of quality.

9 minutes ago, GeneticNinja said:

I thought I had to be missing something when I was a kid. But that game was terrible. Everything from the music to the graphics and gameplay. I still feel that the box art was the biggest con. How could they use great artwork like that on such a poor game? How could they even release that game with the Nintendo seal of quality.

Maybe they knew what they had and that's why the artwork was good :idea:

17 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Maybe they knew what they had and that's why the artwork was good :idea:

Yeah most likely. Part of me wants to get the box for the artwork. There really should be a good game on the basis of exploring some towers. Ys Book I has that beautiful Darm tower exploration. I still haven't played Ys Origin yet. I probably should get around to it.

8 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

Thanks.

Lol yes.  CooL box art though! ;)

8 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

Yeah most likely. Part of me wants to get the box for the artwork. There really should be a good game on the basis of exploring some towers. Ys Book I has that beautiful Darm tower exploration. I still haven't played Ys Origin yet. I probably should get around to it.

Thought you might enjoy seeing the Ys 3 cover art.    Hard to photograph well as 30 inches long.    Sitting on a pinball machine for scale 

414762F1-5155-4AE9-8C11-2A56499DFEEA.jpeg

9 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

8 episodes.   I'm the dork flipping through originals near the very end.

On 5/17/2020 at 9:29 AM, Bronty said:

8 episodes.   I'm the dork flipping through originals near the very end.

I'm attempting to figure out how to watch the show. They have times listed I think coming up this week. And it seems to be on sites that require a sign up. But I can't just watch it now on youtube, vimeo, or some other site. I am curious about the artwork that they will show. I know I would draw the box art to covers like Genesis Ghouls n Ghosts and Thunder Force II in school.

And yeah that Deadly Towers is something else. I think what made it worse is that we purchased it from a Toys R Us that was far away. So I would look forward to playing games when I got home. I played great ones like that. Legend of Zelda, Castlevania, Zillion, and many others that I can't remember right now. But Deadly Towers just sticks in my mind as something that I couldn't believe how bad it was. I played it again when I was older to be sure when I was selling and trading games and it was still bad.

That Ys artwork is cool. I still have the remake of part 3 on PSP to play. I decided to just pass on playing it on PSP and purchase it again via download to play on a real screen instead of the small PSP screen.