• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard #16 1st appearances question
1 1

55 posts in this topic

Interested in the early Image characters 1st appearances and noticed The Maxx, Deathblow, Bloodwulf and Pitt were first published on the cover of Wizard #16 (attached) which predates Darker Image. Would this cover be considered a first appearance? 

Wizard #16 December 1992- 1st cover with Maxx, Deathblow, Bloodwulf, and Pitt

Darker Image #1 March 1993- 1st appearance Maxx, Deathblow, Bloodwulf

Youngblood #4 2/1/1993- 1st appearance of Pitt

Pitt#1 January 1993

Appreciate the insight!

3B7186E0-D95A-4947-A86A-0B23983154ED.jpeg

It could very well be accepted as the first published appearances and may be sought out by fans of those characters.

I doubt it will ever be as desired as the 1st comic book appearances though. Wizard was essentially advertising these ahead of time.
Advertising and previews aren’t usually a big deal to most collectors, more of niche to round out a personal collection.

3 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I don't consider this an appearance (first or otherwise) any more than I do an ad in a book. Generally, anything that's editorial or marketing I view as a different category, and Wizard falls into that category.

It’s a cover with characters that have never been seen before. What else would you call the first time you see characters published? I definitely wouldn’t call this an ad.

6 hours ago, Joosh said:

It could very well be accepted as the first published appearances and may be sought out by fans of those characters.

I doubt it will ever be as desired as the 1st comic book appearances though. Wizard was essentially advertising these ahead of time.
Advertising and previews aren’t usually a big deal to most collectors, more of niche to round out a personal collection.

Totally agree. I actually own the original art to the cover. I purchased it for the art but also for the fact it’s the first time you see these characters published. It really encapsulates the artists coming together at Image with their new creations and do consider it a first appearance for these reasons. Just wanted to hear what others thought. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, jsylvester said:

It’s a cover with characters that have never been seen before. What else would you call the first time you see characters published? I definitely wouldn’t call this an ad.

I would call it a depiction. "Appearance" has a more specific definition in collecting terminology.

It's an advertisement in an industry publication to get you to buy comics.  It's not a comic, so it can't be a first appearance in a comic book.  Knowing Image (Malibu) at the time, there are probably three or four earlier publications, also advertisements, which are even earlier than this one that are not first appearances either.  That's what publishers did.  They sent preliminary art and advertisements out to anyone who would publish them in hopes of selling more comics... and they even made their own (Malibu Sun is just "look what's coming from Malibu" publication about their publications).

This is a first appearance the way that an ultrasound photo is the same as a birth.  How many people celebrate the anniversary of their first (or fourth) ultrasound photo?

Congrats on owning the original art - but you'll first have to convince everyone that Superman's first appearance is More Fun Comics #31 before anyone will also believe you own the first appearance of these characters.

Edited by valiantman

3 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I would call it a depiction. "Appearance" has a more specific definition in collecting terminology.

Not sure depiction is the right term. I’ll just state it’s the first published cover of the characters. Is that acceptable?

27 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It's an advertisement in an industry publication to get you to buy comics.  It's not a comic, so it can't be a first appearance in a comic book.  Knowing Image (Malibu) at the time, there are probably three or four earlier publications, also advertisements, which are even earlier than this one that are not first appearances either.  That's what publishers did.  They sent preliminary art and advertisements out to anyone who would publish them in hopes of selling more comics... and they even made their own (Malibu Sun is just "look what's coming from Malibu" publication about their publications).

This is a first appearance the way that an ultrasound photo is the same as a birth.  How many people celebrate the anniversary of their first (or fourth) ultrasound photo?

Congrats on owning the original art - but you'll first have to convince everyone that Superman's first appearance is More Fun Comics #31 before anyone will also believe you own the first appearance of these characters.

Wizard did many 1/2 comics but understand this particular issue is a comic magazine. That said the cover is the first published cover showing these characters for the first time. Most have told me I can describe it as a first appearance but think I’ll just state it’s the first published cover of art with these characters. Btw, I never knew Superman’s first appearance was in More Fun Comics #31. Gotta take a look at that. Thanks!

1 minute ago, jsylvester said:

Good catch! I guess my cover is Pitts 2nd published cover. Wonder about the others

While we're at it... I remember that Youngblood #4 was late.  I'm pretty sure Pitt #1 was on sale and in collector's hands a while before Youngblood #4 showed up.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

While we're at it... I remember that Youngblood #4 was late.  I'm pretty sure Pitt #1 was on sale and in collector's hands a while before Youngblood #4 showed up.

I remember it the same way. Always thought Youngblood was a prequel due to the timing.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

:whistle:

You stated:

This "preview" of Action Comics #1 appeared in More Fun Comics #31

... which established a very clear example of a "preview" which COULD be considered the first appearance.

so a preview can be considered a 1st appearance? Then we get into math which just confuses me more. 

also noticed the art being used for the examples were reused on the following books which do remind me of an advertisement or copy of the original art.

the cover for Wizard 16 was made for the cover and is even drawn with the Maxx title name which wasn’t used until the Maxx #1. I can see both sides but dint see an issue stating this is the first published cover featuring the appearance of these characters other than Pitt.

thanks for the insight!

4 minutes ago, jsylvester said:

You stated:

This "preview" of Action Comics #1 appeared in More Fun Comics #31

... which established a very clear example of a "preview" which COULD be considered the first appearance.

so a preview can be considered a 1st appearance? Then we get into math which just confuses me more. 

also noticed the art being used for the examples were reused on the following books which do remind me of an advertisement or copy of the original art.

the cover for Wizard 16 was made for the cover and is even drawn with the Maxx title name which wasn’t used until the Maxx #1. I can see both sides but dint see an issue stating this is the first published cover featuring the appearance of these characters other than Pitt.

thanks for the insight!

You missed the summary provided by Lazyboy on page 5...

The real Rule 31: Only after you've convinced the majority of people who've been in the hobby for at least 5 years that More Fun Comics #31 is the first appearance of Superman may you ever refer to any advertisement as a first appearance.