• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard #16 1st appearances question
1 1

55 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, cbmitch said:

So what about the 5 page preview in marvel age 97 vs darkhawk?  Those five pages are right out of the comic book.  Should darkhawk #1 be considered a reprint?  Playing devils advocate here in case that isn't clear....

I sure hope so, because the definition of preview is pretty simple.

12 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
13 hours ago, cbmitch said:

So what about the 5 page preview in marvel age 97 vs darkhawk?  Those five pages are right out of the comic book.  Should darkhawk #1 be considered a reprint?  Playing devils advocate here in case that isn't clear....

I sure hope so, because the definition of preview is pretty simple.

That's a good point @Lazyboy - maybe a second sentence is needed on Rule 31...

The real Rule 31: Only after you've convinced the majority of people who've been in the hobby for at least 5 years that More Fun Comics #31 is the first appearance of Superman may you ever refer to any advertisement as a first appearance.  At that point, you must have all dictionary publishers remove the word "preview" from the dictionary if you want a preview to be a first appearance and not a preview.

On 5/9/2020 at 9:27 AM, Bird said:

There are a bunch of other characters who first appeared in and/or on the cover of magazines but who have a first appearance in comics and the comic is the more sought after collectible (but not always...think Rocket Raccoon or Starlord). First appearance in comics is different than first appearance anywhere else, even if it is a comics magazine. It might be a first appearance but it would need another word in there, like first printed appearance.

I guess the first published appearance it is and then just let the collectors that believe it as a first appearance make their own conclusion 

On 5/9/2020 at 1:34 PM, Lazyboy said:

And there it is. :eyeroll:

No, it's not any kind of first appearance. It might not be the first published art or even the first cover featuring any of those characters (as previously shown with the Pitt Malibu Sun).

I understand the Pitt part but couldn’t find anything predating the Maxx. I’ll just state it’s the first published appearance 

On 5/9/2020 at 8:55 PM, lightninglad said:

I’m assuming these OA collectors are the ones that sold it to you

Nope but that is funny. Did my own research before buying. TBH only cared about The Maxx at the time.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:20 AM, valiantman said:

...and knowing how much Heritage likes to hype up the buyers, you'd think they would have said something, anything, about this being the first drawing/art/production piece for any of these characters, if that was true:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jim-lee-sam-kieth-dale-keown-and-rob-liefeld-wizard-magazine-16-original-cover-art-wizard-1992-/a/7073-92065.s

Heritage isn’t the best with researching pieces. I’m a huge Maxx fan and know this cover is the first published cover anywhere which is one of the reasons I bought it. The main reason I bought it was the pose and old school MCP style with Sams noodling which he no longer does.

On 5/13/2020 at 1:31 PM, Grails said:

Comic book terminology aside you have the first published image of Maxx. Even though his story in Darker Image had already been completed. 
Also, if you won this piece in 2013 for 13k, you got it for a steal! I missed that auction as I was traveling.

4E18AB65-7A09-49D8-B57E-7E42F583D7E4.jpeg

Thanks! I thought 13k was high at the time but kept going as I love it. 

On 5/14/2020 at 10:12 AM, valiantman said:

I actually bought that and heritage couldn’t tell me whether it was published

On 5/14/2020 at 10:25 AM, valiantman said:

So, it's a great piece of art - but when you combine something great with something "not exactly true", it subtracts from the greatness and is generally a "negative vibe" on what should be great. 

A fantastic piece of art with what is known about it, without overstating anything, is all positive.

"My baby is the best baby in the whole world!  He's the cutest, most precious, never cries, doesn't poop, and said 'Mama' on the day he was born!"

Proud mothers should try not to decide everyone else's opinion of their baby... it causes more groans than 

On 5/14/2020 at 10:25 AM, valiantman said:

So, it's a great piece of art - but when you combine something great with something "not exactly true", it subtracts from the greatness and is generally a "negative vibe" on what should be great. 

A fantastic piece of art with what is known about it, without overstating anything, is all positive.

"My baby is the best baby in the whole world!  He's the cutest, most precious, never cries, doesn't poop, and said 'Mama' on the day he was born!"

Proud mothers should try not to decide everyone else's opinion of their baby... it causes more groans than grins.

I don’t know what I said that isn’t true. I came here for advice since I didn’t understand your rules and will state it’s the first published appearance as a few collectors here have advised. I’m not trying to create a negative vibe. I’m not even selling it so could truly care. I just wanted to display it. I’m glad I did. Could you imagine what would happen if I stated first appearance?! You guys would roast me for years!

On 5/21/2020 at 8:01 PM, cbmitch said:

Actually that leads me to another question. I own the cover to Adv Superman 501 along with some interiors. I read the first appearance to Superboy was Adv Superman 500 in some places and 501 in others. 
which is correct?

appreciate the help!

On 5/24/2020 at 8:25 PM, jsylvester said:

I understand the Pitt part but couldn’t find anything predating the Maxx. I’ll just state it’s the first published appearance 

:facepalm: As if first appearances can be unpublished.

It's not an appearance at all. It's a cover.

23 hours ago, jsylvester said:

Actually that leads me to another question. I own the cover to Adv Superman 501 along with some interiors. I read the first appearance to Superboy was Adv Superman 500 in some places and 501 in others. 
which is correct?

appreciate the help!

The four replacement Supermen (Superboy; the Man of Steel [Steel]; the Last Son of Krypton [the Eradicator]; the Man of Tomorrow/Cyborg Superman [Hank Henshaw]) were each featured in a short sequence (4 pages) after the main story in Adventures of Superman 500 as lead-ins to the next issues of the four Superman titles. Superboy briefly became the featured character in Adventures of Superman beginning with issue 501.

tl;dr :insane:: 500 - 1st brief, 501 - 1st full

On 5/24/2020 at 10:01 PM, jsylvester said:

which is correct?

appreciate the help!